Trying to have spouse's aunt visit - how?

Hi there, it's been awhile since I've been on this site, it's changed and I like the new format. Everything is brighter and easier to see. my husband (Chinese citizen) wants to invite his aunt, along with his mother to the US to visit us. I have been told that the aunt may have to file a visitor's visa on her own but may not be able to stay with us once she gets here since she needs to register with a tour group. I'm not sure how much of this is true. can someone point me in the right direction? I've looked a bit on this website but didn't see anything that pertained to my topic. Thank you.

Tour group visas are probably easier to get but definitely not a requirement. Mainly what the consulate is interested in is whether or not they have immigrant intent. Showing strong ties to China and many reasons why they will return is the main thing. Assets, property, retirement, children, anything and everything you can think of as to why they will return.

thanks for your input. do you know anyone who has done this? and did they need to stay with a tour group the entire time?

Tour group visas are probably easier to get but definitely not a requirement. Mainly what the consulate is interested in is whether or not they have immigrant intent. Showing strong ties to China and many reasons why they will return is the main thing. Assets, property, retirement, children, anything and everything you can think of as to why they will return.

thanks for your input. do you know anyone who has done this? and did they need to stay with a tour group the entire time?

B-2 visas are available to anyone, although a close relative is more likely to succeed. Check for posts by izus - they were able to bring a whole family group for their wedding - I forget what all the relations were.

A tour group is NOT a good way to visit relatives - the tour group is responsible for their whereabouts.

Edit: don't seem to be able to search back that far any more

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

From what I understand the group leader takes the passports and keeps them until they leave. They are supposed to stay with the group. I would try for a regular B-2 visa. Just explain your Aunt and Mother in law want to visit and concentrate on why they will return to China.

We invited my aunt to visit us, a few month after my uncle (her husband) passed away. Her only daughter and granddaughter live in China. She brought some documents to show her financial ties to China (but I think she didn't need to show them to the visa officer).

So far we have invited my parents, together and separately, my 16 year old niece and my over 80 year old aunt to visit us. They all got the B-2 visa. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that all our invited visitors returned within planned time frame. I wonder if US visa department has any database to help them make decisions based on track records.

Hope your aunt's visa application goes smoothly.

thanks for the input joanne. we're just going to hope all goes well.

We invited my aunt to visit us, a few month after my uncle (her husband) passed away. Her only daughter and granddaughter live in China. She brought some documents to show her financial ties to China (but I think she didn't need to show them to the visa officer).

So far we have invited my parents, together and separately, my 16 year old niece and my over 80 year old aunt to visit us. They all got the B-2 visa. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that all our invited visitors returned within planned time frame. I wonder if US visa department has any database to help them make decisions based on track records.

Hope your aunt's visa application goes smoothly.