Reentry without GC

My in-laws have passed their interview and we are now in the states. However, right after the interview one of them was diagnosed with stomach cancer. We stayed in China and he had the tumor and two thirds of his stomach removed. We fretted over how to proceed. The doctor said he needs chemotherapy. We finally decided to come to the states (before the visa expires) and then he would go back for six months of chemotherapy. They leave next Monday to return to China. If the green card does not arrive before then can they reenter the states with only the I-551 stamp in their passports? We did get their social security cards, but I don't think this will help with re-entry, correct? One more question? If I need to mail their green cards to them what is the safest delivery method? Thank you for your advice!

Yes, The I-551 stamp = Green-Card it allows re-entry from trip abroad before getting the physical card in the mail.

Passport with I-551 stamp is considered to be a green-card.

lets hope time out of country does not exceed 1 year.

I just thought of another question. I'm so sorry. We never anticipated that they would have to go back without us after coming here. They don't speak a lick of English. We went to China and picked them up. Now, they will fly back alone. They are flying out of Houston and transferring in Chicago. I called the airline (United) and they don't provide any kind of translation service.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this? I'm very worried about them making it back on their own. They will have a cell phone that works here so that they can call us if they can find someone to hand the phone. Then, my husband can translate back and forth. I have found the maps of the airports online and plan to circle gate numbers and draw lines, ect. But, their flight leaves Houston at 6 a.m. I'm worried they won't know which gate number they will be flying out of in Chicago.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any creative suggestions.

Thanks, dnoblett for answering the green card questions. As always, you are wonderful!

I just thought of another question. I'm so sorry. We never anticipated that they would have to go back without us after coming here. They don't speak a lick of English. We went to China and picked them up. Now, they will fly back alone. They are flying out of Houston and transferring in Chicago. I called the airline (United) and they don't provide any kind of translation service.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this? I'm very worried about them making it back on their own. They will have a cell phone that works here so that they can call us if they can find someone to hand the phone. Then, my husband can translate back and forth. I have found the maps of the airports online and plan to circle gate numbers and draw lines, ect. But, their flight leaves Houston at 6 a.m. I'm worried they won't know which gate number they will be flying out of in Chicago.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any creative suggestions.

Thanks, dnoblett for answering the green card questions. As always, you are wonderful!

As soon as they get off plane in the Airport in Chicago there will monitors noting Flight# -- Gate# The signs and gate numbers are fairly easy. If United more than likely will be confined to the Two United terminals that are connected by a long tunnel.

As soon as they get off plane in the Airport in Chicago there will monitors noting Flight# -- Gate# The signs and gate numbers are fairly easy. If United more than likely will be confined to the Two United terminals that are connected by a long tunnel.

If I remember correctly, the flight from Houston and the flight to Beijing are to/from the same (non_international) terminal, Terminal 1. That is, they'll be able to connect without having to go through security again. The tunnel connects the two concourses of Terminal 1. It can be easy to miss, so make sure they know where to look for it.

I have a suggestion. It will take a little work, but I think it will help. Write out step by step everything they will need to do in English. Number them 1. 2. 3. etc. Under the English, write the Chinese translation. That way, they can read for themselves what they need to do each step of the way, but they can also show each step to anyone in the Airport if they need help knowing where to go, or exactly how to do something. Obviously, any person helping them will have to show them, not tell them, but it gives them a better chance of communicating their needs.

Oh, so the United Flight to Beijing won't leave out of the international terminal? That would be great! I'll take a look at todays flight information. Thanks, guys!

Yep, no changing terminals, the "International" Terminal #5 is for inbound flights only.

http://omor.com/b/content/2002/ORD_terminal1_facilities_.jpg

Last time I used United to go to China, my Rochester plane pulled into something like C-28 and the Beijing plane was parked in the gate next over like C-30.