It was shown locally at the local art theater on two nights a couple weeks ago, we missed it due to conflicts so I downloaded the movie over bit-torent and burned it to a DVD, we watched it together last night.

It was a great movie, epic 32 year story about a mother forced to choose between son/daughter trapped in the rubble of their home after a horrific earth quake in 1976 that killed 240,000 people, mother assumes that daughter had died and the movie follows the lives of the separated children up to the quake of 2008.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1393746/

My wife and I first watched this movie early last year right after we first started dating. It was the first Chinese movie I saw in China. I was expecting to see it nominated for an Oscar as a Best Foreign Film but it was not. Well worth watching if you have not seen it.

A friend of mine describes the plots to all Chinese movies as "Life Sucks, then it gets worse, then it gets a little better, and then you die." He has a sarcastic streak but it is amazing how closely every Chinese movie I have seen follows that plot outline.