Tomorrows the Day

Don't worry too much about the cleaning. She will either be a neat freak and you can never do it well enough or she'll be like mine and Steve's wife and not care.

So far she is neat...... very neat... oh.. :P always need to make sure you flush... !!!

So what Carl says goes. You will never do it good enough to suit her.

Good luck!!!

All of the women kept their native names, and why not? We got a Lusheng, Mansi and last but not least Luoman. Just thinking and never have thought about it before but it seems to me that somone that would want to change their name has something to hide lol?? Just thinking.

I've been cleaning for a week, if I vacuum anymore I'll burn out the vaccuum. New sheets, heck even purchased a new mattress

(according to her specifications of course) A few last minute items to do before tomorrow AM when she arrives.

Lastly a "twist" to my post. As many people have asked me what my wife's name is, I of course tell them her Chinese name.. then they say.. "what is her English name?" We'll I respond, she doesn't have one. We've decided that we will not do that. I can say her name so I guess people can learn. Any thoughts on this ?

Dan

Been there done that, my wife took an English nick-name "Rosemary" it is NOT on any legal docs or her DL. Her Given name is Yu ìÏ Which is 4th tone and means Brilliant or Bright, very tricky for us westerners to get correct they habit is to say "you" which is fish, my mother attempted to use her given name for a year or so, but has switched to using "Rosemary".

If Chinese name is easy to pronounce, then go on using it!

We are good friends with a couple Tingchung & Nancy Wang, bothe Chinese, Tingchung goes by Ting, and Nancy is her nick name! It is what ever you find to be comfortable.

I've been cleaning for a week, if I vacuum anymore I'll burn out the vaccuum. New sheets, heck even purchased a new mattress

(according to her specifications of course) A few last minute items to do before tomorrow AM when she arrives.

Lastly a "twist" to my post. As many people have asked me what my wife's name is, I of course tell them her Chinese name.. then they say.. "what is her English name?" We'll I respond, she doesn't have one. We've decided that we will not do that. I can say her name so I guess people can learn. Any thoughts on this ?

Dan

Been there done that, my wife took an English nick-name "Rosemary" it is NOT on any legal docs or her DL. Her Given name is Yu ìÏ Which is 4th tone and means Brilliant or Bright, very tricky for us westerners to get correct they habit is to say "you" which is fish, my mother attempted to use her given name for a year or so, but has switched to using "Rosemary".

If Chinese name is easy to pronounce, then go on using it!

We are good friends with a couple Tingchung & Nancy Wang, bothe Chinese, Tingchung goes by Ting, and Nancy is her nick name! It is what ever you find to be comfortable.

As Always I want to thank everyone. As i write this I have about 3 hours and 57 minutes.. but who's counting :blink: Living alone for many years and now a big life change. Really wish there were more couples in the Seattle Area. Can't seem to find any now. I will hope that she can find some soon. She has a drivers license in Guangzhou and I am sure the transition to Driving here in Seattle won't be too bad. ( I hope ) :huh: Also, in three months she will be very busy with our new little one on it's way. No idea if boy or girl, I guess it's against the law in China for a doctor to tell the mother the sex of a child. We'll I guess I'll shut up and not ramble on... Guess my nerves are getting the best of me. Even came into work this morning... it's closer to the airport.... Sleep last night.......... :wacko: Yeah Right !!!

We'll I guess next time I post, I need to post in another forum.. which is best?

Cheers :ph34r:

Dan & Yonghua..

Really wish there were more couples in the Seattle Area. Can't seem to find any now. I will hope that she can find some soon.

You will. Out of all the couples we have met, one guy was just vaguely familiar with CFL. The girls, however, all use www.fromchinatousa.net AKA 003 and meet each other. We have made some good friends already.

If nothing else there's a bunch of us in the Portland area.

Thanks not too far of a drive.. Oh.. Arrived at 1300 Local Seattle time.. Took about 1 hour 30 minutes to clear customs.. Busy I guess but they did ask her a few question. All good, the put a stamp in her passport and then wrote "CR1 Visa" . Also stapled a piece of paper saying about the two year removal of conditions..

Will report more later.. time for shopping .... :lol:

Don't worry too much about the cleaning. She will either be a neat freak and you can never do it well enough or she'll be like mine and Steve's wife and not care.

So far she is neat...... very neat... oh.. :blink: always need to make sure you flush... !!!

Good luck!!!

How true...I cleaned for 2 months before Ying came...she started cleaning the day after she arrived and worked my ass off for a week helping her. Then she started on the yard...jeez!

So far she is neat...... very neat... oh.. :blink: always need to make sure you flush... !!!

Good luck!!!

How true...I cleaned for 2 months before Ying came...she started cleaning the day after she arrived and worked my ass off for a week helping her. Then she started on the yard...jeez!

Pretty much the same here!! :lol:

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

My wife's name is Ying.

Always has been and always will.

I never quite got the need to change to an English name.

Chinese names are meaningful, i.e. Steve = Steve, while

Ying = hero, lucky one, to win.

Let people learn her name and respect her for being Asian,

not who they might think she oughta be.

I don't think it's very fair to imply that English names are less meaningful than Chinese names. Steve definitely means something and it surely meant something to the person who first decided to give that name to another person. And I'm sure if you ask a handful of Steves out there what their name means, they might not know the definition but it means SOMETHING to them. And just because Chinese names can be broken down into characters that often have a vague or ambiguous meaning doesn't mean it has the same meaning to that person as a Chinese->English character dictionary might pull up. It's just a different naming system. I'm not trying to start a debate here but just brainstorming. It's just a name, anyway. ;)

But I agree that anyone in your life that is important to you (and consequently to her) should make an effort to call her by whatever name she likes. Ying shouldn't be as difficult as a bunch of others out there.

Also what do you mean by "respect her for being Asian"? Shouldn't we just respect someone for who they are? She didn't really have a choice on that one. Hehe.

Congrats to you and your wife! My fiance gets here in TWO days and we'll be getting married soon after this looong time apart. (About 9 months minus a 6 week trip over to China this summer.) That's why I'm currently browsing the AOS forum and the posts here seem very good so far!