Listening to King, Waters, Johnson and Skip James tonight

Hi Friends,

Well, we're blue, unfortunately.

We were so close I can still smell the scent of pink slips that were being issued, and I was across the street at Jusco. I was hoping Xuemei would be playing a joke on me, but as soon as I answered the phone (I was off-site taking care of our 3-year old son Ian, who wouldn't have enjoyed the 4th floor coffee shop) and heard the tone of her voice, I knew that wasn't the case.

All we're lacking is my '07 and '08 tax returns. Why, why, why does the Affidavit of Support form say that previous years' taxes before last year's are OPTIONAL, yet the Consular officials are REQUIRING 3 years' worth?! I turned in my 1040 and 2555-EZ for 2009 thinking that that would suffice; my parents, who were/are acting as co-sponsors, also only provided one years' worth of materials. Can someone point me to a website/document that EXPLICITLY says that THREE years' worth of tax returns are mandatory for the CR-1 interview?

The only bright side is that poor Xuemei, who is quite distraught and feels like a "loser," (this is her third experience with being denied a US visa: once in Beijing for a B1/B2 before we were married, once in Shanghai, also for a B1/B2 but after we we were married, and now this) does not need to have a second interview. We mail in the missing information and then get the visa "IN" three months (or "WITHIN" months, I'm not sure which, because Xuemei wasn't clear; I don't want to press her, which would only be upsetting at this point. Big difference in meaning between those two little words, believe me, I know). Can anyone tell us what to expect? If I turn all missing documents by say, next week, can anyone make a guess as to when we'd have some good news?

As to the interview itself:

Xuemei said that it was very short and only several questions (nothing out of the ordinary) were asked. Though Xuemei speaks English very well, the VO (a young-ish Caucasian women) spoke in Mandarin more than half the time. She seemed surprised to learn that I am still here in China despite the fact that we were married back in October '04. Xuemei told me that though she saw a lot of pink slips being issued, she also saw/overheard people turning in tax documentation for tax years 2006, 2007 and 2008 (but not 2009) also coming away with blue.

One thing that concerns me is that they KEPT all the notarized docs as well as the medical records. Why would they do that? What if they lose the stuff?! We have extra sets (though not of the medical exam, of course), but it's just the principle of the matter. I remember the first CO I dealt with back in late April when I tried to file my/our initial petition. I was only missing Xuemei's notarized/translated birth certificate, but the woman was very candid (which I really appreciated) and told me that I might as well take everything with me until all was ready, because GUZ MIGHT LOSE OUR FOLDER. Hmmm.

So what's up next for me/us? Aside from providing my own 1040's and 2555-EZ's for '07 and '08, I'll be getting returns and related docs for those same years from my parents, as well. I'll also print out even more statements from my Bank of America accounts back home, I'll get a nice notarized letter from the bank saying that I'm an account holder in good standing, and will wire a bunch of money home, to boot. My current work visa expires next month, so it looks like I'll be going down to HK for a month-long tourist visa at least once (and probably more). Is is still common practice that American citizens can only get 30-day "L" visas, or do I have any 3-month or 6-month options?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for bearing with me, and thanks for sending any advice. I wish everyone else out there good luck!

Regards,

Aaron

It's very simple - the requirements are listed on the blue slip. The VO will often ask for additional information, especially in low income cases where a co-sponsor is required. There is no reason whatsoever why you wouldn't be prepared for this.

Sorry for your difficulties.

It's very simple - the requirements are listed on the blue slip. The VO will often ask for additional information, especially in low income cases where a co-sponsor is required. There is no reason whatsoever why you wouldn't be prepared for this.

Sorry for your difficulties.

Ditto, the VO can and do ask for these things, they can demand to look at the whole picture, if they want to see 3 years past returns or transcripts then you need to provide this.

3 Years returns or transcripts, is the standard recommendation any time I-864 or I-134 is a topic on this board.

To me, this seems like a pretty easy overturn situation. Simply provide the missing tax returns and let them process it. I wouldn't worry about them losing your medical forms. My guess is that they are keeping all of that stuff, waiting for your tax returns, and will then lump everything together in the brown entrance envelope (including your medical forms) for initial entry to the US, after your AP has been processed. I'm sorry you've hit a snag, but hopefully it'll be a minor one in the whole scheme of things. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the encouragement and for addressing several of the issues in my post, Kyle. Much appreciated! I neglected to mention the fact that near the end of the experience, the VO did say to my wife, "Don't worry, we're going to give you the visa. Just provide the rest of the documents and you're set."

Thanks for the encouragement and for addressing several of the issues in my post, Kyle. Much appreciated! I neglected to mention the fact that near the end of the experience, the VO did say to my wife, "Don't worry, we're going to give you the visa. Just provide the rest of the documents and you're set."

That's right! A blue slip often simply represents a delay - they just need that one extra piece of paper before they give you the visa.

It does NOT represent a "No!" - at least not in most cases.

Thanks for that, Randy. We're feeling much better today. We know exactly what needs to be done and we're sending it all off on Monday.

That's right! A blue slip often simply represents a delay - they just need that one extra piece of paper before they give you the visa.

It does NOT represent a "No!" - at least not in most cases.

That line sounds pretty reassuring. From what it seems like, the most recent three tax returns are required for most cases. To avoid extra waivers and paperwork, it seems like they mark this as optional and just send "standard" cases away with the blue. Use more paperwork to avoid more paperwork. It's pretty similar to the CCP conditions: they don't list the requirements properly, and send most (ex-)CCP members away with blue for not having it all ready.

Thanks for that, Randy. We're feeling much better today. We know exactly what needs to be done and we're sending it all off on Monday.

In your original post, you mentioned that Xuemei felt like a loser. As has been said, it's important to note that a blue is not a white. Good to know you two are already feeling better--I'm sure the initial disappointment was pretty strong.

Thanks for your reply, Rob.

We sent off the required documents, and then some, earlier today. I'm hoping for some good news in a month or so.

Thanks to all for the help, advice and encouragement! I'll post again once we have news.

• 2 weeks later...

Unbelievable! We've got it! :D

We were quite intrigued when Xuemei received a call on her mobile phone this afternoon saying that she had an EMS envelope to be delivered. We were obviously both thinking it could've been the Consulate, but so fast?! No way. We just sent in our requested documents (and then some) last Wednesday, or 9 business days ago. We then talked about the possibility of it being from someone else, but my wife couldn't think of anyone that would be sending her an EMS delivery.

When the deliveryman came to our door, both our hearts were thumping wildly, and I, for one, had cotton-mouth. Xuemei could not open the envelope herself, she was so nervous. But that one sheet of white paper had the news that we've been hoping for for the past 3 months (even less, actually!). As for me, I've been dreaming about this day for the past six years. We both recognized the handwriting as belonging to the VO that interviewed Xuemei 17 days ago. She meant what she said when she told my wife, "Don't worry, you're getting the visa" just after she gave Xuemei the blue slip. I guess that the "one to three months" line that they give blue slip recipients is subject to variations. Man, were we pleasantly surprised (shocked, is more like it)! So for all of you blue-slippers: take heart, because that reply after you turn in the needed information could come very, very quickly. ;)

To make a long story short, we'll be going into the Guangzhou Consulate (for the last time?) on Monday at 1.30 to present her passport and to go through any other necessary formalities. Though it's been a great ride these past six years in Ningbo and Guangzhou (and seven counting my initial year in Yichang back in late 2002), I'm ready to say goodbye to the red flag with the five yellow stars and to say hello again to those good ole Stars and Stripes!

I'd like to whole-heartedly thank all the members of the CFL community who have so selflessly devoted themselves to helping others on their respective journeys. An extra shout goes out to Randy, Kyle and Dan, who have given momentous support through amazingly prompt replies and lots of encouragement. And thanks to Robert H for introducing me to CFL back in February during a consulate information session. I hope that I too can help folks with any questions on a DCF for an IR-1. This is truly a wonderful site and community, and I wish everyone all the best! Ê®·Ö¸Ðл£¡ÍòÊÂÈçÒ⣡

Aaron, Xuemei and Ian

Congratulations on your call in letter! I am glad that you didn't have to wait very long to go from blue to pink!! Best wishes and soon we will be able to welcome you, and your wife, home! :toot:

Thanks for your kind words, Tom and Xiaofeizhu! I am really excited about going home, and my wife is looking forward to this new chapter in our lives, as well. As for our son Ian, he can't wait to see his grandparents, aunts, uncles and second cousins again. Everyone's support and kindness is very moving---thanks again, folks!

That's great to hear... with the speed up in processing of new applicants I was wondering if blues were getting any faster and it seems so. Our situation is a little weird in that even though we have a requested document, we won't get an immediate response until the CCP check is complete, but I will be calling the DOS regularly to see how that timeline goes and I will report how it goes to help future CCP'ers do a mini-timeline to track their progress on the check.