What comes around

Ha!

That is particularly funny that China is making statues of the Virgin of Guadalupe!!!

This fits in with what I was wishing for in another thread. Now we really will see someday an article about Chinese illegal immigrants going to Mexico.

During the excruciatingly long time I was waiting for my wife's visa I kept trying to think of another way we could be together. I thought, okay, I'll move to El Paso and get another apartment in Juarez and get a visa for Ping to go to Mexico. I called the Mexican embassy in Beijing and asked them to send an application to Ping. They would not do it, but said if she would go to Beijing to the embassy she could fill out a visa application. I got the impression that I was being discouraged from the idea, in fact the guy I talked to was quite an asshole. We got into an international long distance shouting match with him lecturing me about I was speaking to an officer of the Embassy of the sovreign state of Mexico and not just some tourist agency. I told him that I was an American Citizen who would not be taking my tourist dollar to Mexico, ever, so there!

The one thing that was missed in the article......

QUALITY.

Or, perhaps I should say, QUALITY, STYLE, and MARKETING.

Say, you have a Mexican factory that has been making the same Christmas Ornaments for the past 30 years, and heavily exporting them to the USA for the last decade.

How does one keep market share?

Offer something "new" each year. Try to market to those that bought ornaments last year, convincing them to add more to their collection.

Create something other than round balls and blobs. Perhaps try a hand blown Santa. Perhaps make ornaments out of combinations of glass and other materials, or wholly out of other materials.

And, of course, don't just sell them in flea markets... Try to get the BIG Mall stores, and don't have them hidden either.... Right at the end of the isles so they can be seen by the casual shopper.

------------------

Oh, and what about making "edible" Christmas Ornaments??????

One thing my great grandmother did was make a set of hand-made Christmas ornamets on foam balls for when my brother and I were young. They might not have been very good to eat, but were certainly not as dangerous for small kids as the glass balls that are so common. I think she made a set for every Aunt and Uncle.

----- Clifford -----