Jobs for Americans

Stepbrow

Want to start this new thread if it is not already out there yet.

How about for us who marry Chinese and decide to stay in China.

What kind of job opportunities are out there for professional Americans in the technical field ? Where ? I think Shanghai is probably the best....

Let's start a discussion . Thanks.

I'd say a lot depends on what field you are qualified in, the exact qualifications you have, what position within that field you would accept, salary requirements and what your target employer is.

If you are looking for a job teaching English, it seems the only requirement is that you have a pulse. If you are looking for a job in a different industry and are willing to work for sub-par local wages, you'll find it is, DOQ, not impossible.

If you are looking for an employer amongst the Fortune < 500, it is virtually impossible. We, for example, virtually never hire in-country regardless of ones qualifications or one's willingness to work on a local package. You would have to be an overseas employee of ours for some time and then "seconded" to our China office.

The problem of working for local companies is their ethical standard. Remember that this is China. Unless the American is ready to take the kind of treatment , it is not recommended. That's why the opportunity is still limited , I think.