validation of Chinese passport

My Chinese passport will be expired in May 2011 and I have planned a trip to China in early Feb, 2011 for Spring Festival. I just read somewhere that the passport has to be valid for 6 months at least in order to enter China and reenter U.S. Is that true? I am a 2 year green card holder.

The consulate I can renew my passport is NY consulate and I was told that their process is really slow. I don't know whether I should risk the possibility of not having a passport. Will they take away your old passport?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Joanna

My Chinese passport will be expired in May 2011 and I have planned a trip to China in early Feb, 2011 for Spring Festival. I just read somewhere that the passport has to be valid for 6 months at least in order to enter China and reenter U.S. Is that true? I am a 2 year green card holder.

The consulate I can renew my passport is NY consulate and I was told that their process is really slow. I don't know whether I should risk the possibility of not having a passport. Will they take away your old passport?

Joanna

My wife is in China now, her passport expires this August, while there she simply renewed her passport in home town.

Saved us from a trip down to NYC.

The 6 month validity has to do with the US consulate putting a visa in the passport. I can have a few days left and you can still travel with it.

Also normal practice when renewing a passport it the agency (Consulate or passport office) will invalidate the old one by punching a hole in or cutting a corner off, they will then give the old one back to you, along with a new passport.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

does that mean I shouldn't have any problem entering China? How about reentering the U.S.? With 3 months left in the passport and my green card, will the U.S. let me in?

Joanna

My wife is in China now, her passport expires this August, while there she simply renewed her passport in home town.

Saved us from a trip down to NYC.

The 6 month validity has to do with the US consulate putting a visa in the passport. I can have a few days left and you can still travel with it.

Also normal practice when renewing a passport it the agency (Consulate or passport office) will invalidate the old one by punching a hole in or cutting a corner off, they will then give the old one back to you, along with a new passport.

does that mean I shouldn't have any problem entering China? How about reentering the U.S.? With 3 months left in the passport and my green card, will the U.S. let me in?

Correct, passport can expire the day after entry to China or USA. It just needs to be valid to travel.

The 6 month validity has only to do with the issuance of a visa, you have a green-card, so no visa is needed to leave China or enter the USA.

Dnoblett, you are super.. thanks for explaining..I won't panic any more:).

Joanna

Correct, passport can expire the day after entry to China or USA. It just needs to be valid to travel.

The 6 month validity has only to do with the issuance of a visa, you have a green-card, so no visa is needed to leave China or enter the USA.