How to park in Beijing

Here in Oregon, the GPS companies send you up into the snowdrifts on impassable roads to die slowly...

..... and drivers willingly follow the directions....

I had one take me into an infinite loop when one of the roads was blocked - I managed to break away from it after only 2 passes, though. :)

Is "right on red" even legal in China? I thought it was not even allowed by the law ... though that means nothing in regards to driving in China.

Not sure about all cities, but it is legal in Beijing and Guangzhou.

I'm pretty sure it is, although the DL test questions didn't cover - it seems to be more of a given, than an actual law. I'm guessing that it falls under a more general category.

I have yet to see a policeman engaged in any actual traffic enforcement or direction, other than for schools.

I also did not have it in the DL questions and our shuttle bus driver said it was against the law. I've seen him break a lot of US driving laws but he has never turned right at a red light. Then again it is not very often the traffic allows it since we are riding during rush hour traffic. What I could find on the internet said it was legal unless there was a specific red arrow light. So I guess it is legal ... not that it seems to matter what the rules are when it comes to actual driving conditions.

I have never seen a policeman engaged in actual traffice enforcement except for drunk driving checks. I have however seen policemen (with the nice clean new white gloves) directing traffic at some major intersections. Traffic seems to flow much smoother when they are not around ... :rolleyes:

The whole right on red thing was introduced only a few years ago. Many people still don't know it.