Passed my drivers test today :)

I did not thought of learning to drive until I realised how hard it is to get around without a car in los angeles. My husband brought me back a drivers book from DMV one day and my study on it began.

Reading a drivers book was no fun for someone like me who did not have the least behind the wheel experience. The difficult thing was i could not really understand it that well until I was put on the driver's seat. I did several online sample tests from DMV before I went for a learner's permit and got it the same day.

My husband decided to get me some driving courses cause he did not like the idea of teaching me to drive at all! I did not like the idea of paying someone else for that but I accepted his generous and kind offer :lol: .

The 1st 6 hour course started before thanks giving. I was surprised when my teacher put me on the driver's seat the 1st time we went driving. I still cannot believe that i made it and did not hit anything. It still feels like a dream how i made it. maybe he was helping me with the steerwheel...i just do not recall anything guess i was too concentrated.

My first several courses were taken in residential areas where there were lots of turns. I did not make good turns, always a wide turn and almost ran into uncoming cars. My teacher asked me if i do any sport. Well, I do not do any sport. He commented my turns as slow...actually sooooo slow like i was performing a dance on the steerwheel. He asked me to use my muscles and make my turns quickly. I am still working on how to make good turns.

The second 6 hour courses were taken to the busy road where there are a lot more traffic. I learned to edge into the intersection when the light is green and make a turn when the uncoming traffic is clear. However I watch not only uncoming traffic but also traffic from other directions before i make a turn. My teacher was amazed how many times he had to tell me and i am still slow and look everywhere when make a turn. I joked with him neither of our native language is english and that is why i could not remember what he told me. My examiner pointed it out also, that I should go fast as soon as the uncoming traffic is clear and the light is green. He concluded as: unexperienced drivers are too nervous. They usually wait a bit for no reason at a green light even if the uncoming traffic is clear. And when you finish the turn, you are supposed to speed up a bit before cars behind you run into the back of your car.

The third 6 hour courses was more exciting cause i asked if i could drive on highway. My teacher asked if i was ready for it. I told him i do not feel the least nervous when i drive. So i went on the highway. It was kinda of scaring so many cars were passing beside me rapidly and i could hear the wind blowing. I was not willing to speed up to 65 mhr but i had to follow instructions. When i speeded up it felt so good driving...like flying. Well...it does feel good when there is no turn and traffic is smooth at this speed! We also practiced on driving along the hills which was very difficult and demands lots of control especially when the roads were so narrow. It was like up and down up and down. We drove to the top of the valley and the view was indeed pretty.

The drivers behind the wheel test was taken today. I was kinda of nervous and unrested last night. My husband asked me if i believe in anything...like a superpower out there. I told him not really but i would if the superpower would enable me to pass the test and get me a good job. He said people do not ask for things like that for themselves from superpower, so I told him he could ask for me then since i cannot do it for myself.

So i finally made it today. It was not easy but i am sure you girls can make it too. I awarded myself with a roasted and barbecue chicken with ice cola for dinner today. It was yummy and satisfying. And i was excited to call my mom and mom-in-law and share the good news.

I remember reading a post on candle that suggested do not try to have your husband teach you how to drive. My husband always quoted that post when he got nervous sitting beside me on the passenger's seat. He grabbed the steerwheel and completed my turns. Mostly it was ok and peaceful until he thought i was about to hit something since i did not start to turn when i should.

However my husband was very encouraging to me. Everytime after i drove him back home SAFELY, he would tell me i did a good job. There were funny times too when I drove him back on my heels one night. He told me he did not feel good about the idea I drive him back home before i got into the car and he did not want to spend the night in hospital. I told him it was not too bad since I would be taking my drivers test and it means i was not that bad. So we made home safely and slowly. The traffic was very light at 2 or 3 am in the morning. Last Sunday I offered to drive down the hill after lunch. I could see he was nervous as he always is when I drive, but i comforted him and told him, if we had to spend the day in hospital, at least we had a full stomach of in-out burgers and fries..so it was that bad.

After 18 hours behind the wheel courses, I finally got my drivers licence today! However I did not feel that much excited to get on the road right away cause I know I still need a lot more practice on road although legally I can drive all by myself now. Driving behind the wheel is fun and dangerous.

I thank my husband for his patience and encouragment...and I expect more patience from him in the days when i will drive him. :lol: Next goal would be going to school for some computer courses and look for jobs once I get my EAD.

Good luck with everyone's new life here in this new country. Leaving behind everything we had or have in China is not easy but we shall look forward to what we will have in the future. and stay optimistic and stay healthy. :D

Wow! What a fantatastic post. Thank you so much Yahua. In america we take driving for granted. I never really thought of it as an ordeal. Most of all I like this post because it gives me a glimpse of our fiances and wives experiencing something new to them and old to us. Bing already drives in China and has a small car but I think she will need to unlearn many of her driving habits when she gets here. Little things like staying between the lines, stopping at red lights, yielding the right of way, not pulling out in front of cars in heavy traffic thinking they will let you in. You know the little things. http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/459ss97/jenica/icons/drive2.gif

Congratulations on passing your driver's test. It is a big step. Li began the process of learning to drive, but then became really nervous about it. We plan for her to go to drivers school eventually but have decided to wait until after the baby is born. Being pregnant just adds more anxiety to the process.

Congrats on getting your license!

My husband decided to get me some driving courses cause he did not like the idea of teaching me to drive at all! I did not like the idea of paying someone else for that but I accepted his generous and kind offer  .

I remember reading a post on candle that suggested do not try to have your husband teach you how to drive.

The author of this post would have been me. I still stand by my advice. Although there are exceptions to this rule, to maintain domestic tranquility you should avoid teaching someone you share sleeping quarters with basic driving.

Your wife should concentrate on learning how to drive, not getting frustrated because her husband is yelling stop/ go/ turn faster/ look both ways/ etc. Emotional detachment is beneficial, a driving instructor won't sit across the table from his student for dinner.

(Like kicking the father out of the room while the baby is being born.)

I tought my ex how to drive personally, that is the start of the end. Personally, I taught myself and practice on the road and on the high way with a car with a borrowed plate to go to work during the week and go fishing on the weedends. When I took my test, I failed. 1) turn too sharp 2) when doing parallel parking, not supposed to bump the car in back and front to make room 3) not supposed to go over even five miles over the speed limit.

Congrats. My wife had 8 hours of driving lessons by an auto school. After that, I was teaching her. Since we had snow the last month, she hasn't been practicing. Driving in Boston is not easy since people are very aggressive here. I did get her a sign that said "Caution, New driver" that is placed on the back of my car.

Great post Yanhua. I was one of those crazy husband's that took it upon himself to teach his wife, because there are no driving instructors where we live. After three months of yelling, screaming, and crying I'm proud to say my wife passed the road test with flying colors the first time. My wife even does great on snow covered roads. I'm glad it's over but I'm not sure I'd do it again.