Plane ticket

This doesn't have much to do with China....

but

my wife and I will be traveling later this year for our honeymoon.

We were using free ticket vouchers so United had to do the ticket booking.

Despite my careful spelling of our names to the guy at the call center, somehow my middle name was spelled incorrectly :D . I called twice to have it fixed, but they won't (because they won't reissue the ticket). I was told not to worry about it that there's a note on my file so they (the ticketing agent) will know whats up on flight day.

I just don't really believe them that it won't be a big deal....maybe not with United but I'm thinking TSA might be a little more skeptical.

Anyway, what should I do?

I would suspect a typo or misspelling will not be an issue what IS an issue is booking tickets for international travel using a married name and the passport is still in maiden name.

In our case we have traveled several times domestically using married name ans using green-card as travel ID, however when I booked my wife on her trip to China, I used maiden name for travel so that ticket matches passport name.

ok, well I hope you're right.

I did find that I can edit the html code of the webpage and then print off the e-ticket and boarding pass in my correct name...

But its still wrong in United's comp sys.

The last time I returned home from China, the name on my tickets were misspelled. I simply called the airline and told them about it - they told me not to worry about it either and assured me that it would be alright. Like you, I was a little concerned, but ended up not having any problems boarding my flights.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

I did find that I can edit the html code of the webpage and then print off the e-ticket and boarding pass in my correct name...

Don't change the ticket in any way. Print it just as they prepared it, even though there is a mistake. Take plenty of id with you - Driver's license, passport if you have one, Sam's club card, bank cards, etc. Arrive at the airport a little early, maybe 45 extra minutes. When you get to the TSA ticket checker, be friendly and cooperative while explaining the mistake. Tell them that you notified the airline, and what THEY told you. Show them all of the ids. TSA may ask you some more questions, refer you to another TSA person who will ask even more questions, and then they may refer you for some additional screening. Take all of this in stride. They are only trying to make sure you really are who you say who are, and that you are no threat so that everyone on that plane is safe. If you present yourself this way, everything will be fine. Been there done that. :P

I'd suggest being very careful here. Not sure how you were able to print an altered pass, but that most certainly could raise flags that could leave one vulnerable to far more scrutiny than you might have imagined.

I'd suggest being very careful here. Not sure how you were able to print an altered pass, but that most certainly could raise flags that could leave one vulnerable to far more scrutiny than you might have imagined.

Yeah, I'm not going to alter the boarding pass. I am SURE it would cause more hassle, as well as being illegal. But it is easy to do.

I plan on getting there early and explaing everything to the ticketing agent. And I have second hand information that in some cases the ticketing agent will accompany the passenger in cases like this and explain it to the TSA doing screening. We'll see what happens...I have a lot of time to wait...we're not flying until.....9/11 :rolleyes: <--thats why I was a little extra concerned about the mistake because I'm flying on such a sensitive date.