Labor Strike in China

How long ago Dan? You must remember when it was referred to as flower town, or flower city, because of its greenhouse industry for ornamentals and flowers. And still has a flower festival. but in the last 20 years, has become a more wealthy "bedroom' for those seeking escape from the congestion (and poverty) of GZ. (much as as US cities did in the 1950's) I mil. people isn't that much by Chinese standards, but Foshan will continue to grow, because of its economic diversity, (such as the Honda plant) and also because of its embrace into greater Guangzhou. This will literally happen within the year, as the subway from Guangzhou links directly with Foshan, cutting the commute time from one hour (good day, off hours) or two hours (much of the time...)---to about 20 minutes.

Poverty is alive and well in Foshan. What you don't see so much is the wide disparity that you see in GZ.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long ago Dan? You must remember when it was referred to as flower town, or flower city, because of its greenhouse industry for ornamentals and flowers. And still has a flower festival. but in the last 20 years, has become a more wealthy "bedroom' for those seeking escape from the congestion (and poverty) of GZ. (much as as US cities did in the 1950's) I mil. people isn't that much by Chinese standards, but Foshan will continue to grow, because of its economic diversity, (such as the Honda plant) and also because of its embrace into greater Guangzhou. This will literally happen within the year, as the subway from Guangzhou links directly with Foshan, cutting the commute time from one hour (good day, off hours) or two hours (much of the time...)---to about 20 minutes.

Poverty is alive and well in Foshan. What you don't see so much is the wide disparity that you see in GZ.

Poverty is alive and well everywhere.

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)

As a bedroom community, Foshan really doesn't have the same levels of poverty that has historically dogged Guangzhou, simply because it is new (in terms of its destination status for those 'escaping' the big city---to a better life)

--- repeating the 'flight' of middle class professionals to the suburbs of America in the 1960's. What the Honda plant shows, is that unlike America, this particular 'bedroom' community also has been able to integrate desirable heavy industry into the mix. In America, the thought was to escape industry for a: Sub-Urban environment.

As a bedroom community, Foshan really doesn't have the same levels of poverty that has historically dogged Guangzhou, simply because it is new (in terms of its destination status for those 'escaping' the big city---to a better life)

--- repeating the 'flight' of middle class professionals to the suburbs of America in the 1960's. What the Honda plant shows, is that unlike America, this particular 'bedroom' community also has been able to integrate desirable heavy industry into the mix. In America, the thought was to escape industry for a: Sub-Urban environment.

I assume you have some hard statistical evidence that supports your statement about poverty levels? That Foshan has a lower number of people living in poverty has nothing to do with anything other than the cost of living in Foshan can be remarkably lower than it is in GZ -- for now.

The original inhabitants of Foshan -- the farmers on small plots -- are still earning far less than the Foshan average salary of under 1,500 RMB -- less than half the GZ average salary. The basic economy in Foshan still relies mainly on local retail sales and housing with a growing industrial presence.

Edited by GDBILL (see edit history)

Foxconn makes other things besides the iphone. I wonder why Apple is the only company that publicly has stated they would help subsidize a pay raise for foxconn employees.

Among other things, Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod, the iPad, and the iPhone for Apple Inc.; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer manufacturers Dell and Hewlett-Packard; motherboards for UK computer manufacturer Zoostorm; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo; the Xbox 360 for Microsoft, cell phones for Motorola, the Amazon Kindle, and Cisco equipment.

In other news:

Foxconn said on Sunday production line workers would be able to earn 2,000 yuan a month if they pass a three-month performance review.

The latest hike, to take effect as early as October 1, comes on top of a 30 percent across the board rise in the cash part of wages announced last week and means wages will be more than double since employee suicides became a major issue last month. Before last week's rise, workers earned 900 yuan a month.

Foxconn is the iPhone maker in Shenzhen, famous for its rash of suicides. Guess Jobs is trying to bribe his slaves not to kill themselves.

Wasn't Phil Knight and Nike raked over the coals for underpaying his foreign workers? And this company was only paying 900 RMB per month? In Shenzhen???

Everyone - run out and buy an iPhone.

More on the Foxconn issue. It appears that Dell and HP are also "looking" into the problems with their slave labor shop.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...opStories_msnbc

I liked this action item from Foxconn and its owners:

Foxconn says it's taking other steps to get the situation under control. It has installed netting around outdoor stairwells of dormitory buildings to prevent people from jumping.

Somehow someone will blame the fat lazy overspending USA worker for this problem since the USA companies had to outsource the work to China due to the high demands of USA workers. When they do you can give them this stat:

When employment in the U.S. eventually recovers, it's likely to be because American workers swallow hard and accept lower pay. That has been the pattern for decades now: Shockingly, pay for production and nonsupervisory workers ¡ª 80 percent of the private workforce ¡ª is 9 percent lower than it was in 1973, adjusted for inflation

I assume you have some hard statistical evidence that supports your statement about poverty levels?

Caught me here Bill, actually I don't have stats. which support that there is less poverty in Foshan than GZ..... But having spent hundreds of hours there with family members, and toured the city extensively, and since I have been to GZ a number of times since 1997, I think I'm probably in a position to make an educated assessment at least as accurately as you are.

That plus this, Bill: my Brother-In-Law is one of the Vice-Chiefs of Foshan, Bill knows what that means---he's the Assistant Mayor of Foshan. And while there are a few other Vice-Chiefs, after more than a dozen years, he's likely to become the next mayor of Foshan.

So Bill----having hung out with him for the last several years-----you think I don't know quite a bit about Foshan?? (not as much as you, of course...)

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I assume you have some hard statistical evidence that supports your statement about poverty levels? That Foshan has a lower number of people living in poverty has nothing to do with anything other than the cost of living in Foshan can be remarkably lower than it is in GZ -- for now.

The original inhabitants of Foshan -- the farmers on small plots -- are still earning far less than the Foshan average salary of under 1,500 RMB -- less than half the GZ average salary. The basic economy in Foshan still relies mainly on local retail sales and housing with a growing industrial presence.

http://www.investfoshan.gov.cn/eng/enindustry_1.htm

http://www.chinatoday.com.cn/English/e2004/e200410/p54.htm

http://special.lifeofguangzhou.com/2008/no...836854858.shtml

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick! I wish you two would learn to ignore each other instead of your constant barbs back and forth. For the last time just drop it.

There has to be some confusion here. Where do you see "constant barbs" here?

"I assume you have some hard statistical evidence that supports your statement about poverty levels? That Foshan has a lower number of people living in poverty has nothing to do with anything other than the cost of living in Foshan can be remarkably lower than it is in GZ -- for now."

"The original inhabitants of Foshan -- the farmers on small plots -- are still earning far less than the Foshan average salary of under 1,500 RMB -- less than half the GZ average salary. The basic economy in Foshan still relies mainly on local retail sales and housing with a growing industrial presence."

Why you are reading more into this than actually exists is beyond me, but when I exchange "constant barbs" I think history shows it is nothing like what is written above.

For example, if I wanted to smack someone don't you think that instead of "I assume you have hard statistical evidence that supports your statement about poverty levels" I would have written something more closely related to "WTF are you talking about? Weld that dunce cap to your pointy little head, please."

Writing the first phrase and not the second signifies, IMO, that perhaps Kim has a point, but I'd like to see where he gets his data from because I am just not sure about it.

So, please do not go on imagining things. I promise that when I do make a "constant barb" there will be no doubt in anybody's mind what happened. I promise. :yikes:

Nice links. How do you suppose they are relevant to the conversation?

Nice links. How do you suppose they are relevant to the conversation?

The basic economy in Foshan still relies mainly on local retail sales and housing with a growing industrial presence. --- I would disagree with this statement from the links.

More fallout from the labor strike and the general issue in China regarding worker pay relative to the huge economic gains achieved by the govt. and a few at the top??

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArt...cleID=225402189

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArt...cleID=225402189

Foxconn increased pay from 900 to 1200 rmb. Now starting Oct 1 will increase to 2000 rmb assuming the workers pass some performance evaluations. That is a 33% increase and then a 67% increase.

Quote from the article:

"Chairman Arthur Chiao of the Taiwan Electronics and Electrical Appliances Association said his group is assisting mainland-based Taiwan companies to seek out new manufacturing sites in India, Indonesia and Vietnam in the wake of steadily rising labor costs on the mainland."

Maybe its beginning? An independent labor movement in China? Long way to go, of course, and it can be crushed at any time, but perhaps not so easily with the multinationals who have to answer to the court of public opinion in the West... Certainly, that's Honda's problem for sure----

And if the work force of the Multinationals can't be controlled...... its going to be pretty obvious for the rest of China...