married and moving to china

Guest Do or die

Guest Do or die

Not posting our story, none of your business, seen what happens to those who get personal here and rock the boat.

EX marine just (retired) 26 years service, no PTSD issues, never married before, now married to a chinese woman ,I'm taking my pension and moving there,whats the process ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tony n Terrific

Not posting our story, none of your business, seen what happens to those who get personal here and rock the boat.

EX marine just (retired) 26 years service, no PTSD issues, never married before, now married to a chinese woman ,I'm taking my pension and moving there,whats the process ?

Good luck to you and your new marriage. I wish you and your wife all the happiness in the world. Before you embark on your life long commitment to your wife I would recomend you take a bow and get the chip of your shoulder.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure members will rush to give you everything you need to know.

Wow, a lifer married to the Corps 26 years. :(

It's real complicated, I'll try and talk real slow so you can follow the directions....

1. Extract your head out of the jar

2. Buy a plane ticket

3. Get on the plane

Good luck with your second marriage, slick.

tsap seui

Hmm lets see 26 years of service. Probably retired as an E-8 or E-9. Your about to get a nice pension every month, more than enough to suffice the cost of living in china. Your a disgruntled fella though, ill point in the right direction somewhat.

From a topic on this forum

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41426

8.) China still does not "welcome" foreign spouses from a visa perspective. You cannot expect any permanency unless you get one of the relatively rare "green cards." Otherwise, you are on a year-to-year basis, always with the possibility that you will be kicked out of the country due to policy changes or whatever other reason. You will also never be eligible for any of China's social welfare programs, such as pensions. Not that China is rich in social welfare, but just sayin'.

Not exactly sure how true that is, im sure it is somewhat accurate.

Oh your welcome, from a ex-sergeant of marines. Semper Fi

A Jarhead with a chip on his shoulder ... now that's a novel concept. :rolleyes:

The process is rather simply:

1. Get a passport;

2. Get a visa;

3. Buy a plane ticket;

4. Have cash enough to find a place to live when you arrive;

5. Maintain a positive cash flow.

The visa is easy enough to get. Once you arrive in China and shortly before your visa is getting ready to expire, you head down to the Public Security Bureau's Entry & Exit Administration (i.e. immigration) and ask them for a new visa based on your marriage to a Chinese citizen. If, by chance, your wife has lost her Chinese citizenship by naturalization in another country, you are SOL.

At the immigration office where your wife has her official residence (called "hukou in Chinese), you can get a one-year multiple-entry "L" tourist visa which can be renewed continually year-by-year. The cost is minimal. It does not, however, allow you to work so be careful about that.

Also, when you first arrive and establish residence, make sure you register your presence and residence with the local police station. You are supposed to do that within 24 hours of arrival.

You might want to make sure your retirement goes into a decent bank that does not charge you an arm and a leg if you want to have money sent to you in China or withdraw cash from a local ATM. NFCU or USAA work good for me. PenFed pretty much sucks.

Another small detail you might want to consider involves just where you and your wife were married. Since for spousal visa purposes you will be required to show your marriage certificate, there are a few additional considerations should you not have been married in China. If you were married in the US make sure you get a number of certified copies of the marriage certificate and have them all authenticated by Chinese consulate nearest your state of marriage. Check with the Chinese consulate beforehand because sometimes that marriage certificate must be authenticated by your state's Secretary of State or Lt. Governor.

From a topic on this forum

http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41426

8.) China still does not "welcome" foreign spouses from a visa perspective. You cannot expect any permanency unless you get one of the relatively rare "green cards." Otherwise, you are on a year-to-year basis, always with the possibility that you will be kicked out of the country due to policy changes or whatever other reason. You will also never be eligible for any of China's social welfare programs, such as pensions. Not that China is rich in social welfare, but just sayin'.

Not exactly sure how true that is, im sure it is somewhat accurate.

Pretty accurate.

The spousal "L" visa is pretty much stable -- at least for Americans -- but there can be times when they restrict it for such moronic events like the Olympics or the Expo 2010. Ordinarily it is renewable every year, but it's not exactly etched in stone -- this is China!

Social welfare programs only apply to those with a green card and are of little to no value anyhow.

Guest Tony n Terrific

I had an Uncle that joined the Marines in 1939. The old breed. His combat record started at GuadalCanal in 1942 and ended in Okinawa in 45. He also served in Korea in Chosin with the 1st Marine Division. He put in 20 years in the Corps.

My Uncle was an enlisted man. A grunt for sure. However he never demonstrated the arrogance and ego mania as this person has done with his 2 posts so far. WITF are we catering to this guy?

I had an Uncle that joined the Marines in 1939. The old breed. His combat record started at GuadalCanal in 1942 and ended in Okinawa in 45. He also served in Korea in Chosin with the 1st Marine Division. He put in 20 years in the Corps.

My Uncle was an enlisted man. A grunt for sure. However he never demonstrated the arrogance and ego mania as this person has done with his 2 posts so far. WITF are we catering to this guy?

A little off topic here, but I have to agree with Tony for the most part. Dude you need to chill out and adjust to the civilian world, get of your high horse and understand that people will not cater towards you anymore. The people here are just friendly. I think one advice most of could give you is learn how to talk to civilian americans again before you run off to another country and show your ass. (or one those crazy chinese guys hacking you up into pieces)

Tony, maybe I am just used to it. For current age marines to be total jackasses, thats ONE of my reasons why I got out. Could you imagine working for this guy? I would want to put a bullet in my brain just hearing him speak. Fortunately, most of my bosses I dealt with on a daily basis were good to go

Guest Tony n Terrific

A little off topic here, but I have to agree with Tony for the most part. Dude you need to chill out and adjust to the civilian world, get of your high horse and understand that people will not cater towards you anymore. The people here are just friendly. I think one advice most of could give you is learn how to talk to civilian americans again before you run off to another country and show your ass. (or one those crazy chinese guys hacking you up into pieces)

Tony, maybe I am just used to it. For current age marines to be total jackasses, thats ONE of my reasons why I got out. Could you imagine working for this guy? I would want to put a bullet in my brain just hearing him speak. Fortunately, most of my bosses I dealt with on a daily basis were good to go

Agreed.

Careful Tsap, Sarcasim and a joking tone dont mix to well with a "lifer"

:lol: Hey buddy, after his first two posts ( I saw the one aimed at you) I figure this is some guy we may already know who is pretending to have just gotten out of the crotch, is bored, and tryin' to get a rise out of folks. ;)

tsap seui