Change in K-3 processing?

My I129F and I130 were just approved by the USCIS & I received an email from NVC regarding the required I-864 form and payments required.

Today I received an email from the immigration service I am using. They said that "Recently, the USCIS has indicated that they will be administratively closing K-3 applications where the I-130 was approved within a 'reasonable time'." So now the service is changing to a CR1 application.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Edited by mikeymark (see edit history)

My I129F and I130 were just approved by the USCIS & I received an email from NVC regarding the required I-864 form and payments required.

Today I received an email from the immigration service I am using. They said that "Recently, the USCIS has indicated that they will be administratively closing K-3 applications where the I-130 was approved within a 'reasonable time'."

Does anyone know anything about this?

Yes. There have been quite a few thread about it. The change was implemented on 2010.02.01.

Thread is here: http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40925

The K-3 was developed at a time when it was taking an UN-Reasonable amount of time to get an I-130 approved, however one of the things that USCIS promised a few years ago when they raised the fees for service was improved processing times, and streamlined service. This is one of them, they have greatly improved the processing of I-130 to the point where the reason the K-3 was developed no longer exists. The K-3's who intention was to alow the prospective immigrant to enter the USA and WAIT for I-130 Approval. Since they are now approving both I-130 and I-129F ON the same day, the I-129F gets closed bu NVC.

Consider this: CR-1 will save you $$$

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131 Soon to be more.

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

Also CR-1 gets Green-Card upon entry.

Thread is here: http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40925

The K-3 was developed at a time when it was taking an UN-Reasonable amount of time to get an I-130 approved, however one of the things that USCIS promised a few years ago when they raised the fees for service was improved processing times, and streamlined service. This is one of them, they have greatly improved the processing of I-130 to the point where the reason the K-3 was developed no longer exists. The K-3's who intention was to alow the prospective immigrant to enter the USA and WAIT for I-130 Approval. Since they are now approving both I-130 and I-129F ON the same day, the I-129F gets closed bu NVC.

Consider this: CR-1 will save you $$$

K-3:

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131 Soon to be more.

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

Also CR-1 gets Green-Card upon entry.

dnoblett,

Thanks for the clear explanation. Males good sense.

Do you think the CR1 process will add 2 or 3 months the the wait time compared to getting the K3 interview. The USCIS approved my I-130 on May 5th so I was guessing the K3 interview would have been sometime in August.

dnoblett,

Thanks for the clear explanation. Males good sense.

Do you think the CR1 process will add 2 or 3 months the the wait time compared to getting the K3 interview. The USCIS approved my I-130 on May 5th so I was guessing the K3 interview would have been sometime in August.

No, CR-1 has a newer electronic process at NVC where you have to OPT in, and then scan and send paperwork to NVC by Email, and they then send to consulate electronically. The K-Visas on the other hand tend to get sent to the consulate by courier service, and may get hung up for 3 months in customs.

Essentially the CR-1 is just as quick at he K-Visas.

Look over the newer electronic process. http://uschinak1.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37703