1 Chinese baby born with syphilis every hour

Not to mention the cards of hookers that you get slid under your door when staying at hotels. I swear I must have been close to having a complete set from one brothel by the end of one week.

But still, to me there is a huge gap in sexual mores and sexual taboos across different demographics in China. For example you have the old vs. young adults vs. high school/college age, country vs. city, and most important, sheltered vs. unsheltered. Many college age people still probably don't know how to have sex. Then again, in big cities you tend to see more open public displays of affection (for example, at bus stops) than you would in major US cities.

Read somewhere that almost 1/3 of US women have got herpes, and not from toilet seats.

I've seen that, too. I think it was in the MSNBC health news section.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Do or die

Not to mention the cards of hookers that you get slid under your door when staying at hotels. I swear I must have been close to having a complete set from one brothel by the end of one week.

But still, to me there is a huge gap in sexual mores and sexual taboos across different demographics in China. For example you have the old vs. young adults vs. high school/college age, country vs. city, and most important, sheltered vs. unsheltered. Many college age people still probably don't know how to have sex. Then again, in big cities you tend to see more open public displays of affection (for example, at bus stops) than you would in major US cities.

Read somewhere that almost 1/3 of US women have got herpes, and not from toilet seats.

and herpes can never be cured, I understand syphillis can be cured. Herpes once you have it you always do, and spread it easily. So what does that say about Americians morality and sexual practices, come on guys tell me your excuses for the USA being one of the most STD ridden countries in the world.Decline in Christain values , just bad luck or Jerry Springer? my guess is none of the above but guys and girls here doing for a long time what you now pointing your finger at the chinese for doing.

I'm not a political,religious guy but I see through hypocrasy easily, if you are going to post a thread like this also post the stats for here too I think you may be suprised.From the CDC

In the United States, health officials reported over 36,000 cases of syphilis in 2006, including 9,756 cases of primary and secondary (P&S) syphilis. In 2006, half of all P&S syphilis cases were reported from 20 counties and 2 cities; and most P&S syphilis cases occurred in persons 20 to 39 years of age. The incidence of P&S syphilis was highest in women 20 to 24 years of age and in men 35 to 39 years of age. Reported cases of congenital syphilis in newborns increased from 2005 to 2006, with 339 new cases reported in 2005 compared to 349 cases in 2006.

Between 2005 and 2006, the number of reported P&S syphilis cases increased 11.8 percent. P&S rates have increased in males each year between 2000 and 2006 from 2.6 to 5.7 and among females between 2004 and 2006. In 2006, 64% of the reported P&S syphilis cases were among men who have sex with men (MSM).

CDC Analysis of National Herpes Prevalence

Some recent media reports have questioned the accuracy of CDC¡¯s latest report on national herpes prevalence (herpes simplex virus type 2, or HSV-2). HSV-2 is a lifelong and incurable infection that can cause recurrent and painful genital sores and can make those infected with the virus two-to-three times more likely to acquire HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

The latest HSV-2 data ¨C announced at CDC¡¯s National STD Conference in Atlanta on March 9, 2010, and published today in CDC¡¯s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) ¨C indicates that overall national HSV-2 prevalence remains high (16.2%) and that the disease continues to disproportionately burden African-Americans (39.2% prevalence), particularly black women (48.0% prevalence), who face a number of factors putting them at greater risk, including higher community prevalence and biological factors that put women of all races at greater risk for HSV-2 than men.

Edited by Do or die (see edit history)

and herpes can never be cured, I understand syphillis can be cured. Herpes once you have it you always do, and spread it easily. So what does that say about Americians morality and sexual practices, come on guys tell me your excuses for the USA being one of the most STD ridden countries in the world.Decline in Christain values , just bad luck or Jerry Springer? my guess is none of the above but guys and girls here doing for a long time what you now pointing your finger at the chinese for doing.

I'm not a political,religious guy but I see through hypocrasy easily, if you are going to post a thread like this also post the stats for here too I think you may be suprised.

Hypocrisy? We're talking about China because the OP posted an article about China. What they do or don't do in China to deal with babies being born with syphilis has absolutely nothing to do with the US. I didn't see anybody here being judgmental until your post.

Guest Tony n Terrific

In the old days how they "tried" to treat Syph was really bad. I mean painful and deadly if treatments where misused. There use be an old saying about Syph. A romantic evening with Venus gave you a lifetime on Mercury.

I'm not a political,religious guy but I see through hypocrasy easily, if you are going to post a thread like this also post the stats for here too I think you may be suprised.

Hypocrisy? We're talking about China because the OP posted an article about China. What they do or don't do in China to deal with babies being born with syphilis has absolutely nothing to do with the US. I didn't see anybody here being judgmental until your post.

Some people have better reading comprehension than others. Have you thought of a tutor?

Some people have better reading comprehension than others. Have you thought of a tutor?

Have you thought of posting something substantive instead of just insulting people? e.g., what in this thread was judgmental prior to the post by 'do or die'?

Looks like that was too much to ask or to expect here, because you obviously read my reply and then left without even backing up your insult.

Based on the way you tend to talk to people here, I'm glad I've only met you online. Honestly, I feel a little sorry for people who need to deal with you in reality on a daily basis.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Round 1. Will Wile E. catch the Road Runner this time.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/shows/man_vs_cartoon/sub/photo-wile_e_coyote.jpg

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)
Guest Do or die

Have you thought of posting something substantive instead of just insulting people? e.g., what in this thread was judgmental prior to the post by 'do or die'?

it was judgemental in that implied china has a behaviour problem that we do not,also I believe herpes can be given from mother to baby in birth.

China has the cureable STD problem, we have the noncureable one, which must say something in itself.

it was judgemental in that implied china has a behaviour problem that we do not,also I believe herpes can be given from mother to baby in birth.

China has the curable STD problem, we have the noncureable one, which must say something in itself.

I think everyone here knows that people are pretty much people. They get up to the same things in every country, with the possible exception of extremist regimes (e.g., parts of the Middle East) where people fear for their lives if they get up to too much.

I don't think you can judge the morality of a people by what diseases are more common in their society. It has more to do with public health efforts, education and prevention. Antibiotics and sex education are the reasons syphilis is relatively rare in the U.S

Herpes is a bit of a different story because most people who have it are symptomless carriers, and condoms don't do much to prevent it. If you gave blood tests to all the people who claim "I've never had an STD," there would be plenty of surprises as people found out they actually have herpes!

So herpes runs very common in the west. It probably is extremely common in China too, but it is not a common thing to test for or track, so hard to say for sure.

Guest Do or die

China has the curable STD problem, we have the noncureable one, which must say something in itself.

I think everyone here knows that people are pretty much people. They get up to the same things in every country, with the possible exception of extremist regimes (e.g., parts of the Middle East) where people fear for their lives if they get up to too much.

I don't think you can judge the morality of a people by what diseases are more common in their society. It has more to do with public health efforts, education and prevention. Antibiotics and sex education are the reasons syphilis is relatively rare in the U.S

Herpes is a bit of a different story because most people who have it are symptomless carriers, and condoms don't do much to prevent it. If you gave blood tests to all the people who claim "I've never had an STD," there would be plenty of surprises as people found out they actually have herpes!

So herpes runs very common in the west. It probably is extremely common in China too, but it is not a common thing to test for or track, so hard to say for sure.

ever seen a cold sore ? thats herpes

Looks like that was too much to ask or to expect here, because you obviously read my reply and then left without even backing up your insult.

Based on the way you tend to talk to people here, I'm glad I've only met you online. Honestly, I feel a little sorry for people who need to deal with you in reality on a daily basis.

I guess you pulled that "fact" out of your ass, too.

Old habits die hard, right? :doorscared:

A little recap for the reading challenged?

> The CCP appears to be making only token

> efforts to bring things under control. Here

> is a recent article in China Daily about a

> recent bust of four night clubs in Beijing.

> These four night clubs employed 557

> women! ... The authorities better ramp up

> antibiotic production and sexual education

> programs.

> Many hotels in China have an entire floor

> dedicated to a brothel. This can't be done

> without an 'understanding' with local

> government officials.

> Not to mention the cards of hookers that

> you get slid under your door when staying

> at hotels. I swear I must have been close

> to having a complete set from one brothel

> by the end of one week.

Some of the comments can easily be taken as hypocritic, condescending and flippant. If that's how D or D took them, then that's his perogative.

So now, Wei Ai Jia You, that we've establish you have reading comprehension issues more serious than originally thought, why not call 1 (800) I CAN READ and get yourself a Literacy Volunteer? When you can actually read instead of just staring at the words and drooling over the pictures, maybe then you'd know WTF you were talking about.

You know, the question isn't whether it hurts when you think. The question is just how the hell you stand the pain.

Edited by GDBILL (see edit history)

"...So now, Wei Ai Jia You, that we've establish you have reading comprehension issues more serious than originally thought, why not call 1 (800) I CAN READ and get yourself a Literacy Volunteer? When you can actually read instead of just staring at the words and drooling over the pictures, maybe then you'd know WTF you were talking about.

You know, the question isn't whether it hurts when you think. The question is just how the hell you stand the pain...."

---------------

see, Bill, here's what I have never been able to understand about you----why do you consistently insist on poisoning the well of dialogue here?

Can't you make your points without attacking other members? Weiaijiayou is widely accepted here at the Candle as having considerable "street cred" ---and unless I miss my mark-----an expat in China----just like you.

Alot of your opinion is of value based on your experience-------SAME GOES WITH ALOT OF OTHERS HERE BILL!. You have no monopoly on either experience-----or information about China.

Visitors (and new members) to this site --- and I'm sure there are quite a few--- see posts like the above, and see only your flame-out, not your experience.

And here's a wake up call-----you are not always right, or correct in the info you post----some is suspect, some is factually wrong---and as you have yourself admitted, some needs to be retracted after posting. (posts about expat teacher who's passport was seized )

You have been factually wrong about some aspects of small entity formation that I posted about recently----I'm not going to discuss it further----but as I posted---I relied on financial professionals in both HK and GZ. their advice was correct on those matters.

You are not perfect, Bill; you are valuable, if like the rest of us, you express your opinion here with respect to others, share your wealth of information, and enhance, rather than denigrate other members....

Candle asks: " where are all the new posts?" ------ Got any ideas on that Bill?