Flying from China during the Summer months

I spoke with a travel agent recently. Normally summer prices would not be this high. But this year, we suspect it's really high because of 3 reasons: A) airlines lost big money with the volcanic eruption in Europe when they were grounded for days so now they need to charge more to "recoup“ those losses; B ) high demand for tickets to anywhere in China due to Shanghai Expo; C) price of oil has been going up steadily.

As for buying tickets from China, it IS cheaper. However you can only buy tickets from elong.com or qunar.com for flights departing from China. If you're leaving from the US, you have to use travelocity or orbitz or kayak.com.

P.S. I'm leaving end of May (one round-trip Economy ticket) to pick-up my spouse (a one-way Economy ticket). We're dropping a total of $3K when under ”normal“ circumstances it would be maybe $2K.

Edited by celiothrkn (see edit history)

I spoke with a travel agent recently. Normally summer prices would not be this high. But this year, we suspect it's really high because of 3 reasons: A) airlines lost big money with the volcanic eruption in Europe when they were grounded for days so now they need to charge more to "recoup¡° those losses; B ) high demand for tickets to anywhere in China due to Shanghai Expo; C) price of oil has been going up steadily.

As for buying tickets from China, it IS cheaper. However you can only buy tickets from elong.com or qunar.com for flights departing from China. If you're leaving from the US, you have to use travelocity or orbitz or kayak.com.

P.S. I'm leaving end of May (one round-trip Economy ticket) to pick-up my spouse (a one-way Economy ticket). We're dropping a total of $3K when under ¡±normal¡° circumstances it would be maybe $2K.

I would agree with those three reasons. i just brought a round trip economy ticket to USA/China for $2,000. Usually about $800 but also Delta eliminated the Shanghai to ATL flight so now I get to fly to Detroit, ATL and then to FLA.

I am going to jump on this thread to rant. I think its rediculuous that prices can flucuate during seasons. There should be a set price I think all around. Grrr I mean im sure all of us here could drop 3000 bucks on a round trip ticket. But the question is do we really want to. Its kinda crazy things are like this. dam you airplane companies!!!

Prices seem to be much higher in the Summer months. Is it cheaper to buy from a Chinese website? We would like to leave this month or next. Any suggestions?

Your in Tucson:

Try this one in LA:

Travel Depot

223 E. Garvery Ave Ste. 138

Monterey Park, CA 91755

Tel. (626) 280-2198

It is a Chinese travel store.

i have used them every time and have always got the best deal.

Even though i live in OH i still get a great deal.

Like i said your in Tucson so you should get even a better deal going out of LA.

Mike

In no way am I taking up for the airlines but the reason the prices are higher for China in our summer months is it is the busy season for tourism. Beijing is like most of America in our winter months...cold, so people don't tend to take off from one cold place to go to another, except to meet Chinese wimmins.

On the other hand, in our summer months it is cheaper to fly to a place like Australia, as that is their colder months and their tourism is down.

The airline prices are tied to tourism, the season of the county you want to visit, and American's vacation time lines. <_<

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)