Time for the Form I-751

It's time to apply for the permanent resident card that's good for 10 years.

The wife's girlfriends are already telling her that her name should be on the light bill and this thing or that thing.

What is the latest wisdom about putting the wife's name on the bills and such? My thoughts are that if she's not on the bills and I die, the pay off insurance kicks in and she's home free. :ph34r:

She's in my will as getting all my stuff...less a portion to my daughter and a few guns to my buddy.

{edit} I-551 is green-card, I-751 is removal of conditions application.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

They are looking for evidence of a bonafide marriage, joint names on things like bills, and accounts show this in part, also letters addressed to wife at your address also help.

Here's is what we just passed with no interview, pics or affadavits, if this helps.

If you have kids, include their report cards since it will have your address if mailed to you. We did this, but forgot to put in cover letter.

1. Copy of CR1 and CR2 I-551 permanent resident cards.

2. Copy of 2009 tax returns.

3. Copy of tax transcripts for 2006, 2007 and 2008; years we have filed jointly.

4. Copy of current bank account (Bank of America) to show joint account.

5. Copy of previous bank account (M&T Bank) to show joint account.

6. Copy of joint home ownership (Deed)

7. Copy of husband's new 401K showing CR1 as beneficiary.

8. Copy of husband's Pension fund showing CR1 as beneficiary.

9. Copy of Husband's medical coverage plan listing husband, CR1 and CR2

10. Daughter's report cards (our address is on them).

If there's a trade-off on anything, take a look at what other evidence you have, and decide if it's enough, or if you'd feel more comfortable adding to the mix. Names on bills are fairly weak evidence.

I never tried to get her names on the bills, but we had 2 cars, one in her name and one with both names.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

People do get too wrapped up in names on this or that. Remember the bottom line is they want to see that your marriage is bona fide and on going. Whatever you can provide to prove that should be sufficient.