School attacks over the past few days.

Simply awful, what is going on?

28 kindergartners stabbed, 5 critically, in China

TAIXING, China ¨C An unemployed insurance salesman slashed 28 kindergartners with a kitchen knife Thursday in Jiangsu province, leaving five children critically wounded. It was the latest in a series of apparent copycat attacks at schools that have left 10 dead and dozens injured.

ALEXANDER F. YUAN/The Associated Press

Medical workers move a kindergartner attacked by a knife-wielding man into a hospital ward in Taixing, 120 miles northwest of Shanghai. It was the latest in a series of attacks on schools in China.

The latest of four attacks took place in the coastal city of Taixing, 120 miles northwest of Shanghai. The assailant, 46, overpowered a security guard at the front gate of the Zhongxin Kindergarten and entered a classroom.

On March 23, eight children were killed in the first and deadliest of the recent attacks, which also took place at an elementary school said to cater to children of the wealthy.

The assailant in that case, Zheng Minsheng, a community health worker who had been laid off, reportedly said in court that he was upset because he had been jilted by a woman from a wealthy family.

He was sentenced to death and executed Wednesday in Fujian province.

MORE...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ion1.c5583.html

OR:

China school attacks leave 1 dead and 33 children burned or slashed

A man armed with a hammer and gasoline burst into an elementary school Friday morning, attacked five children with the hammer and then set himself on fire in yet another of the mysterious attacks on Chinese schools that have terrorized parents and children around the country.

The latest attack took place in the small city of Weifang, in the eastern province of Shandong, at 7:40 a.m.

The assailant, identified as Wang Yonglai, a 45-year-old farmer, burned to death, according to the official New China News Agency. Teachers managed to rescue two children he had been holding in his arms when he set himself ablaze.

MORE...

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/29/wo...bbings-20100430
Guest Tony n Terrific

In NYC they apprehended a college student in the subway system under the East River and said he was planning on killing himself. This guy had a quart of sodium cyanide, 5 flares and two bottles of water.

We have our nut burgers here to.

Yes, the Chinese have learned only too well from America. Copying from American serial killers and copycat killers, it seems like it is now de rigueur in China.

I think the count now is something like five incidents at 5 primary schools / kindergartens. Terrible.

The good news is that from arrest to The Needle is something like 3 months in China compared to 30 years in the US. At least they haven't learned that from us.

At the primary school and kindergarten next to my house I've noticed that they have a real policeman at the door now during the arrival and departure times. Not sure what good this does considering anybody weighing less than 300 pounds could effortlessly scale the fence.

Yes, the Chinese have learned only too well from America. Copying from American serial killers and copycat killers, it seems like it is now de rigueur in China.

I think the count now is something like five incidents at 5 primary schools / kindergartens. Terrible.

The good news is that from arrest to The Needle is something like 3 months in China compared to 30 years in the US. At least they haven't learned that from us.

At the primary school and kindergarten next to my house I've noticed that they have a real policeman at the door now during the arrival and departure times. Not sure what good this does considering anybody weighing less than 300 pounds could effortlessly scale the fence.

And after The Needle, comes HELL!! :ph34r:

And after The Needle, comes HELL!! :ph34r:

Cuz, sometimes China is hell before The Needle. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This happened again! I simply do not understand this tragic and senseless violence. I agree that China's medical treatment for those with mental disorders is still in the dark ages, but that doesn't explain why so many similar cases are happening in such a brief time period. Are they getting the idea to do this from the constant media reporting of similar situations - knowing that this scenario is a hot topic in current news? Honestly, I have no idea. I don't believe this is a media fault - simply bad people gaining bad ideas. With such cleavers being sold widely throughout China, both in department stores and on the street (by vendors) - how are they going to control and deter the progression of this type of violence? Metal detectors? Honestly, I'm blown away and can't seem to adequately collect my thoughts. . .

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05/11/st...test=latestnews

or

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/05/1...tack/index.html

The below segment is taken from the Fox source

BEIJING (AP) — An attacker with a cleaver hacked to death seven children and two adults at a kindergarten in northwest China on Wednesday, the latest in a string of savage assaults on the country's schools. Eleven other children were wounded.

The latest deaths were sure to fuel speculation about why assailants — usually lone males — are targeting schools. Sociologists say it reflects a lack of support for the mentally ill and rising stress resulting from huge social inequalities in China's fast-changing society.
Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

This happened again! I simply do not understand this tragic and senseless violence. I agree that China's medical treatment for those with mental disorders is still in the dark ages, but that doesn't explain why so many similar cases are happening in such a brief time period. Are they getting the idea to do this from the constant media reporting of similar situations - knowing that this scenario is a hot topic in current news? Honestly, I have no idea. I don't believe this is a media fault - simply bad people gaining bad ideas. With such cleavers being sold widely throughout China, both in department stores and on the street (by vendors) - how are they going to control and deter the progression of this type of violence? Metal detectors? Honestly, I'm blown away and can't seem to adequately collect my thoughts. . .

or

BEIJING (AP) ¡ª An attacker with a cleaver hacked to death seven children and two adults at a kindergarten in northwest China on Wednesday, the latest in a string of savage assaults on the country's schools. Eleven other children were wounded.

The latest deaths were sure to fuel speculation about why assailants ¡ª usually lone males ¡ª are targeting schools. Sociologists say it reflects a lack of support for the mentally ill and rising stress resulting from huge social inequalities in China's fast-changing society.

It is sad that people target of all places schools.

I'm not sure what the solution is. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't just a copycat syndrome. Heck, we have that in the US, too.

or

BEIJING (AP) ¡ª An attacker with a cleaver hacked to death seven children and two adults at a kindergarten in northwest China on Wednesday, the latest in a string of savage assaults on the country's schools. Eleven other children were wounded.

The latest deaths were sure to fuel speculation about why assailants ¡ª usually lone males ¡ª are targeting schools. Sociologists say it reflects a lack of support for the mentally ill and rising stress resulting from huge social inequalities in China's fast-changing society.

It is sad that people target of all places schools.

I'm not sure what the solution is. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't just a copycat syndrome. Heck, we have that in the US, too.

This is shocking indeed; one difference it seems is that in the West most of these occur at high schools or colleges. Maybe because they're shootings instead of stabbings? If someone intends to kill others in the US, having explosives or guns means I don't have to care how big you are. In China, these folks, with knives and cleavers, appear to be looking for lots of defenseless people in one place so they can harm as many as possible before being apprehended. Armed with "only" a cleaver, adults might be able to fight back too much.

With China's one-child policy, this kind of thing just adds tragedy to tragedy.

How do you fight back a cleaver, you get a even bigger one!!! Seriously, they should allow "guns" for the security gaurds in this case. I read before that they had increased the secruity at most schools and given them pike like weapons. Guess this was one of those schools that didnt do anything like that.

Latest attack was on an unofficial school, so gov. security wasn't considered, and there may be some connection between the landlord and the school program itself---sort of a Chinese 'charter school' equivalent.

As far as all these tragic (and incomprehensible) attacks are concerned---sort of puts to rest the idea that guns kill people, rather than the obvious: people kill people.. 17 dead in 6 attacks so far. no guns.

Been a subject of discussion closer to home.... since wife teaches at the Mandarin immersion elementary school.. Security has always been a concern for me there (both daughters attended when they were younger).

Latest attack was on an unofficial school, so gov. security wasn't considered, and there may be some connection between the landlord and the school program itself---sort of a Chinese 'charter school' equivalent.

As far as all these tragic (and incomprehensible) attacks are concerned---sort of puts to rest the idea that guns kill people, rather than the obvious: people kill people.. 17 dead in 6 attacks so far. no guns.

Been a subject of discussion closer to home.... since wife teaches at the Mandarin immersion elementary school.. Security has always been a concern for me there (both daughters attended when they were younger).

Nice try on your part, but I'm afraid nothing will ever put to rest the argument over what kills people ;)

That people kill people is obvious; the method of attack matters too though (that's why we don't let folks -- even in the US -- walk around with hand grenades). ;)

I heard on the US news (don't know if it's accurate) that the national Chinese news agencies were not airing this latest story, to try to avoid more copycat attacks. I haven't verified with my fiancee whether she's heard about it... those living in China -- was it on the national news?

I heard on the US news (don't know if it's accurate) that the national Chinese news agencies were not airing this latest story, to try to avoid more copycat attacks. I haven't verified with my fiancee whether she's heard about it... those living in China -- was it on the national news?

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=436778

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90776/90882/6983175.html

We get CNN and CCTV9 and the Internet - not sure which we heard about it on (or all 3)