Although im getting it notarized tomorrow morning, and im about to run out of money at the internet bar, i thought that i'd post my final EOR here to follow up and put a lid on this topic.

Petitioner Introduction/ Evolution of Relationship

Dear Sir or Madam, US Consulate Immigration Officer,

Hello- I would first like to thank you for your assistance with Yun and our visa case. Yun is a very special woman in my life, and I would like to take a few moments to explain why in this letter.

Yun and I first met in person in December 2008, at Yun’s store. When we met, we were immediately captivated by each other, swapped phone numbers, and soon after began dating. But my time was short. China was not a place I ever planned to live in, nor did I expect to have a relationship this serious. And I already had a flight back to the US scheduled not but a few weeks after we started dating. However by and large, it was solely because of her that I returned to China in January 09, because I knew she was the one for me (Originally I came to China to study Taiji, and promptly return to the US).

Upon returning to China, Yun and I decided to move in together. This was because we love each other very much and really enjoy all of our time together, and during our time living together, we traveled from time to time- including to Yun’s family near the city of Xinyang, other cities in Henan such as Yuzhou, and Beijing. As time passed, and as we began to really understand each other and start depending on one another, we realized we had something golden. We bought twin platinum/silver rings for each other in April 09, us both secretly hoping that our relationships would last forever. In late August, Yun and I took a short-but-romantic trip together to Hong Kong. It is during this time that we both really understood that we wanted to be more than just boyfriend/girlfriend, and we had our official engagement.

After my visa expired that month, I was living on a 30 day tourist visa and was making trips to Hong Kong every month just to keep staying in China to be with my baby.

In 2010, after a 2 month return to the US, Yun and I promptly went to visit her family again to spend the holidays with them. After our return to Zhengzhou, I received my Foreign Expert Certificate, and began working for XXXXX to start making income here before we go back to the US. 2 Months later, we now find ourselves in Guangzhou for 2 weeks together as a mini-vacation/ personal business trip! Our continuous time living together has shown us both just how much we mean to one another, and how far we are willing to go for each other.

Yun is my best friend and my Fiancée, and over the past year & a half I feel I know her better than I do my sister sometimes! She has taken my Chinese to a comprehensive level (language and culture!) that we generally use to communicate with each other every day. And although her English is already getting better every day- upon our mutual return to the US- I plan to enroll her in ESL classes to really get her English to a high level. Learning each other’s languages has been a romantic experience for both of us.

Lastly, I would like to point out that our trip to the USA is more than just going home for us: it’s also our only chance to marry and be able to live peacefully together, for 3 more years. Consider this: I would have married Yun already if I could have.

Thanking you,

Edited by moonandstar99 (see edit history)

Moonandstar, This final draft is much, much better than your first one. Congratulations. You took most of the pleading and the wishy-washy sentences out and it sound much better. I have just two suggestions: first, take out the "However, by and large" because that still sounds undecided. Just start that sentence with "It was soley because of her".

Second, your ending still sounds like you are asking for the impossible. I don't think you want to give the impression that this relationship is a struggle or a challenge against the evil powers of China's marraige laws. Now we on CFL all know that your statement about "this being your only chance for 3 years" refers to China's laws because you told us already, but it is assuming alot to think everyone knows that. When I first read your EOR last week, I was confused by that statement and that may be many people's first reaction. Look, it draws more attention to your age and there is no reason to do that. Just get rid of the last paragraph. Replace it with a statement saying that you will marry your fiancee as soon as you both are in the United States because you know without a shadow of a doubt that you two are perfect together. That's my 2 cents. Hey, if you see my fiancee Xue Shan there at the consulate on May 5th, you should say hi. She will be the quiet woman with a determined look on her face. Good luck guys!

-mGolden

Moonandstar, This final draft is much, much better than your first one. Congratulations. You took most of the pleading and the wishy-washy sentences out and it sound much better. I have just two suggestions: first, take out the "However, by and large" because that still sounds undecided. Just start that sentence with "It was soley because of her".

Second, your ending still sounds like you are asking for the impossible. I don't think you want to give the impression that this relationship is a struggle or a challenge against the evil powers of China's marraige laws. Now we on CFL all know that your statement about "this being your only chance for 3 years" refers to China's laws because you told us already, but it is assuming alot to think everyone knows that. When I first read your EOR last week, I was confused by that statement and that may be many people's first reaction. Look, it draws more attention to your age and there is no reason to do that. Just get rid of the last paragraph. Replace it with a statement saying that you will marry your fiancee as soon as you both are in the United States because you know without a shadow of a doubt that you two are perfect together. That's my 2 cents. Hey, if you see my fiancee Xue Shan there at the consulate on May 5th, you should say hi. She will be the quiet woman with a determined look on her face. Good luck guys!

-mGolden

These are great suggestions....also when I read the letter I was unsure "When you guy's had the baby"....I would change this reference to be something more accurate to avoid confusion. Best of Luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Great improvements! I also agree with the suggestions from mGolden and Mike'nJin.

My Lao po and I have know each other for >3 years and been married for 15 months and she is being interviewed for a CR-1 in a few weeks. Is there a great need for us to supply an EOR along with the all of our documents? :)

Great improvements! I also agree with the suggestions from mGolden and Mike'nJin.

My Lao po and I have know each other for >3 years and been married for 15 months and she is being interviewed for a CR-1 in a few weeks. Is there a great need for us to supply an EOR along with the all of our documents? :)

If your wife is asked for one at the interview and she does not have one in her kitchen sink you will be kicking yourself.

If your wife is asked for one at the interview and she does not have one in her kitchen sink you will be kicking yourself.

Yep, you got a good point...I wrote one up last night. Only took an hour or so. Thanx for the good advice. ZZ

A few years ago the EOR was being asked for as a blue slip item, a lot of us in que for the interview started writing them and having our girlfriends/wives try to hand them in at the beginning of the interview, along with the America passport if the guy was there. Back then a sort of EOR was asked for on the I-129F application, I used a continuation sheet to write one then...then, for the interview I hand wrote a new, two page, EOR letter, went to the consulate and had them notarize it as well as a new intent to marry letter.

With your letter just highlite the positives...that's all you need to do to build a quickly read... STRONG... EOR letter.

You've got a strong case, and you are wise to load the bases with a good EOR letter, even a new intent to marrry letter. I always say, and I did in our case, prepare so that if something goes wrong at the interview you can sleep at night knowing you covered all the bases.

By the way...my easily to see that it was notarized at the consulate EOR letter with it's attached new intent to marry letter was angrily shoved back through the VO's window UNREAD, along with my passport with it's four visa stamps. :drunk: Not all of them get read at the interview, but that shouldn't stop you from preparing.

Good luck, you guys should be fine. B)

tsap seui

Yep, in the case of K-1 is is still a requirement to provide a second fiancee letter of intent to marry within the 90 days, this can be expanded into an EOR. This is turned in at the visa interview. SEE: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzho...rt_to_marry.pdf
  • 2 months later...

I'm not seeing that the History of Relationship document is required if you're already married; am I wrong on that?

I see it listed among the documents for the fiancee visa; are folks here saying it is required with the I-130 as well, or that they know folks who've been asked for it?

Thanks for helping me with my confusion.

Tim

I'm not seeing that the History of Relationship document is required if you're already married; am I wrong on that?

I see it listed among the documents for the fiancee visa; are folks here saying it is required with the I-130 as well, or that they know folks who've been asked for it?

Tim

Speaking from a married perspective.

We wrote one up and had it notarized while in Guangzhou. They didn't look at it during my wife's interview. In our case, I'm not certain how much it would have helped, especially since we front loaded the crap out of our I-130 application in Beijing. I suspect though if we didn't lay out our case in great detail in the beginning, that it may have come into play during the interview. Is it required? Not necessarily, but unless you're throwing out fictional details or raising red flags that don't need to be raised, I'm not sure how it'd hurt. When I wrote mine, I made sure that all of our details/dates listed in the EOR were backed up with the pictures and other information previously provided at the time of our I-130 submission in Beijing. Some write one up just to get it notarized in Guangzhou and swear by it's usefulness (making a consulate officer read over it). I'm not quite sold on that, but if for anything else it could show two things: one, you were in Guangzhou with your woman, and two, you care about the outcome (both of which can't hurt you). I tend to agree with ZZ and Sam, that it's probably not going to come into play but in the case that they do ask for it, you'll be prepared for their request.

In the end it's your responsibility to lay everything out in clear detail, not the consulate's. I'd probably err on the side of caution and have one in your pocket just-in-case.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Tim

It's not a requirement per se Tim, for an I-130.

From my studying on our K-1 I saw it asked time and again as a blue slip requested item to some folks. I wrote one for our interview, got it notorized at the consulate, and it was forcefully REJECTED along with my passoprt when it was handed over with lil' rabbit and our son's passports....rudely slammed back through the window by the VO.

Some folks are lucky and their interviewing VO takes evidence like an EOR letter at the last second during the interview.

You have the opportunity with your initial application to get in every shred of bona fide relationship evidence that you can muster. One can not count on ANYTHING being accepted at the interview.

With my recent 600+ page CR-1 application, maybe 50 pages of it were for the actual I-130 application, the rest was sent for the Department of State workers. I know it is the only chance we will have to submit evidence. My EOR letter was 6 or 7 pages and every paragraph of it was backed up with documents and facts.

Good luck.

tsap seui