I am wondering if anyone here is actively on the chinese stock markets and how have you been doing at it. I know that you need a family member to buy into some stocks as these are A and B stocks and some are H stocks. I know my father in law plays the stocks and makes money. Any thoughts

I am wondering if anyone here is actively on the chinese stock markets and how have you been doing at it. I know that you need a family member to buy into some stocks as these are A and B stocks and some are H stocks. I know my father in law plays the stocks and makes money. Any thoughts

My wife plays with it online and some of her friends and older brother do to. Lil' rabbit is conservation, and brand new to it, so just makes a few rmb, nothing to speak of...our friend from the hotel we used to stay at is making an average 500rmb a month, again nothing to brag about to an American investor, but what do you think she makes a month working in the hotel? :)

tsap seui

can you explain what these funds are, is this like a 401k or do you pick from there list

MCHFX and FXI are mutual funds. You buy shares of the fund just like any other. FXI is an exchange traded fund, so it's price varies much like a regular stock would. They buy and sell stocks in the markets indicated in their prospectus, and calculate a per share value based on the values of the shares in their portfolio.

can you explain what these funds are, is this like a 401k or do you pick from there list

MCHFX and FXI are mutual funds. You buy shares of the fund just like any other. FXI is an exchange traded fund, so it's price varies much like a regular stock would. They buy and sell stocks in the markets indicated in their prospectus, and calculate a per share value based on the values of the shares in their portfolio.

I bought into a mutual fund investing in Chinese stocks about 6 months ago. It's value has increased >15% after some ups 'n' downs. :)

".... China fund (MCHFX) is up 170% since my original investment in 2005..."

I LOVE this fund ~! I've been there even longer, and in the darkest days of the sell-off recession, doom & gloom. I stepped back and took a hard look. Even after all the blood letting, MCHFX had given me back more than 10% growth per year over the period of my investment. And of course, Randy is right, its back in spades.

But---as the perspective always says: study carefully. Its not a pure China fund. Over the years it has moved conservatively more towards the mainland, but still has major holdings in HK.

I'm currently not investing in HK or the mainland, because I fear a housing bubble. That might change---I believer there IS a bubble, but growth could outpace the negative effects of its popping----hard to believe by US standards. But the housing bubble will affect HK even more than China, in my estimation, so the affects remain to be seen.

The dollar/yuan readjustment is something to keep an eye on.

• 3 weeks later...

Kaige,

For stocks and not mutuals, look into anything automotive, manufacturers, parts suppliers etc. We are into Jiangling Motors Corp and Lingyun Industrial Corp. We got the money for those from the China Mobile Stocks wife had for a awhile and dumped last year.

What I see that is going to be hot stocks, is any company that gets contracts with anything enviromental, cleanup technology, the cleanup eguipment, recycling. Got one right now that is getting ready to ship the equipment to China.

For the longest time, I liked everything abroad especially my Janus Overseas Fund, but looking here stateside now and my best pic is........ Ford Motor Company. Got them when they down to about $6.

good luck.