traveling to china

I got the visa with no problems. It is my first and they gave me one year multi entry 90 day. :ranting:

That went smooth, but the plane ticket not so smooth. American Airlines has canceled flights to Beijing from now to May 27. I will have to get a refund and had to buy another ticket on Continental which costs over $450 more because so close to May 23 departure.

That sucks! Do you know why they cancelled flights for almost a month?

{edit} Repaired broken quote tags.

No, I talked to American Airlines and they gave no reason.

Wow! That is really bad....and no reason? Sorry to hear this...

I have heard of this too...but only because several students at my university (Washington Univ. in St. Louis) have visa renewal appointments for next two weeks and are scrambling to find a way to Beijing with a different carrier. I hear it can take a couple months or more to reschedule these interviews. The following is from AA.com:

"American Airlines greatly regrets that we are unable to launch our new daily nonstop service from Chicago to Beijing today as planned. Despite our expectations, which were based on international aviation industry guidelines and procedures, American has not received commercially viable landing and take-off slots for Beijing Capital International Airport from Chinese aviation authorities. We apologize for the inconvenience that this situation has caused our customers and hope that the issue of landing and take-off slots at Beijing can be quickly resolved.

Customers impacted by the cancelled flights will have the option to be rebooked or receive a full refund to the original form of payment. We are in the process of contacting customers confirmed on these flights to assist with re-accommodation."