can K3 visa be extended?

I don't think it can be extended.

11. What happens if I can’t travel within six months of when I receive my visa?

Immigrant and fiance visas cannot be extended. If the visa is not used within its period of validity, you must bring it and the visa packet to our office for cancellation, along with a statement explaining the reasons why the visa was not used. It is possible that you will be eligible to receive a new visa, although this is not certain and depends on the circumstances of your case. Payment of an additional visa application fee may be required.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.html#A11

I'm guessing spousal (K3 non-immigrant) visas fall under the same conditions as a fiance visa (non-immigrant K-1).

EDIT:

Clarified my wording

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Recent post about a short validity K-3: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40341

If the plan is to stay in China and do an IR-1, then the K-3 CAN expire not a problem, unless you wish to visit the USA before interviewing, then simply use the K-3 BEFORE it expires, and then return to China to interview.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

A side note,

It is looking like K-3 is becoming a thing of the past, because USCIS has been approving I-130 AND I-129F for K-3 on the same date, and sending them both to NVC. NVC has started administratively closing the I-129F (K-3) if they receive both petitions at same time.

This makes sense, the life-act visa was developed as an OPTION for couples facing a LONG I-130 approval process, it allowed the foreign spouse to enter the USA and WAIT for I-130 approval, but since I-130 and I-129F are being approved at the same time, this eliminates the reason the K-3 was offered in the first place.

I suspect the consulate is shorting the validity down to 6 months because there is an approved I-130 sitting at NVC, and can essentially have the CR-1 or IR-1 petition moved to the consulate in less than 6 months.