child who will be 18

my son wont be 18 when I apply naturalization if i can apply at the time 2 year and 9 month after i got my green card, but he will be 18 soon after i apply. does he stiill qualify Children under 18 Automatic naturalization?

I will apply change my 2 year to 10 year card this year.

my son wont be 18 when I apply naturalization if i can apply at the time 2 year and 9 month after i got my green card, but he will be 18 soon after i apply. does he stiill qualify Children under 18 Automatic naturalization?

Have US citizen husband adopt the child before 18 and he/she instantly becomes US citizen. That would be easy/quick but maybe have some legal fees, I am not sure of that.

My question is when I can apply to be a US citizen? 2 year and 9 moth or 3 year after I got my green card? my green card is a 2 year card now.

2 years 9 months IF continuously married to a US Citizen for the entire 3 years. (Actually you can file the N-400 as early as 90 days before the third anniversary of residency status) 90 days is NOT 3 months, it is less than 3 months.

I believe child needs to be 18 WHEN you naturalize, not when you file the N-400.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000b92ca60aRCRD

More: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-600instr.pdf (Parent needs to be a US Citizen BEFORE child reaches age 18) After that then child waits 5 years of residency and files an N-400 on their own.

• 2 months later...

Two ways:

1. You husband may adopt him, but at least they lived together for three years.

2. After your son turns 18, he may file on his own.

Edited by Ella&Tine (see edit history)

Two ways:

1. You husband may adopt him, but at least they lived together for three years.

2. After your son turns 18, he may file on his own.

US Citizen Adoption is not an option if child is over age of 17 or so. Also adoption does not require any length of time, child can be adopted at any time after entry to USA, then upon getting green-card, can simply file N-600 for citizenship doc. This is what Lee Fisher did.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)