We are sponsoring both of my husband's parents, and we have opted in for electronic processing.

Now for the I-864, we cannot submit that electronically. We have to mail it in, correct?

Can I mail the I-864's in one envelope or do I need two separate ones? Also, the instructions for this form say:

You must submit a Form I-864 affidavit of support for each intending immigrant you are sponsoring. You may submit photocopies if you are sponsoring more than one intending immigrant listed on the same affidavit of support.Separate affidavits of support are required for intending immigrants for whom different Form I-130 family-based petitions were filed. For instance, if you are sponsoring both parents, each will need an original affidavit of support and accompanying documentation since you were required to submit separate Form I-130 visa petitions for each parent.

However, on the checklist it states the following:

If you are sponsoring more than one intending immigrant listed on the same affidavit of support, photocopies of the original affidavit of support may be submitted for any additional intending immigrants listed. Copies of supporting documentation are not required for these family members.

So, I know that I need two I-864's. Do I need two I-864A's, and do I need two copies of tax returns and W-2's or will one of these suffice?

One last thing, it also asks if you are using the income of family members to meet the requirement that you provide "proof of their residency in your household and relationship to you." We are talking like I-751 proof, right? I made a copy of both of our driver's licenses with our current address. We filed joint taxes together so that will show relationship and our 2009 ones have our current address. Do I need to submit a copy of our marriage certificate, as well (although they have that in the email with the other documents)? Is this enough or should I submit bank statements, ect.?

Thanks in advance for any help. I feel like I should be granted some special degree for navigating the process of immigration. smile.gif

We are sponsoring both of my husband's parents, and we have opted in for electronic processing.

Now for the I-864, we cannot submit that electronically. We have to mail it in, correct? -- No you scan the form and all required attachments/documentation and email it to GUZ. Then you bring the original documents to the interview.

Can I mail the I-864's in one envelope or do I need two separate ones? Also, the instructions for this form say:

You must submit a Form I-864 affidavit of support for each intending immigrant you are sponsoring. You may submit photocopies if you are sponsoring more than one intending immigrant listed on the same affidavit of support.Separate affidavits of support are required for intending immigrants for whom different Form I-130 family-based petitions were filed. For instance, if you are sponsoring both parents, each will need an original affidavit of support and accompanying documentation since you were required to submit separate Form I-130 visa petitions for each parent.

However, on the checklist it states the following:

If you are sponsoring more than one intending immigrant listed on the same affidavit of support, photocopies of the original affidavit of support may be submitted for any additional intending immigrants listed. Copies of supporting documentation are not required for these family members.

So, I know that I need two I-864's. Do I need two I-864A's, and do I need two copies of tax returns and W-2's or will one of these suffice?

-- You need an I-864 and supporting documents for each I-130 filed.

One last thing, it also asks if you are using the income of family members to meet the requirement that you provide "proof of their residency in your household and relationship to you." We are talking like I-751 proof, right? I made a copy of both of our driver's licenses with our current address. We filed joint taxes together so that will show relationship and our 2009 ones have our current address. Do I need to submit a copy of our marriage certificate, as well (although they have that in the email with the other documents)? Is this enough or should I submit bank statements, ect.?

-- If you are using only your joint income for sponsership you have enough supporting documents.

Thanks in advance for any help. I feel like I should be granted some special degree for navigating the process of immigration. :)

See this text

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)

It is mailed:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3197.html

After completing the form on the computer, print it. The forms cannot be submitted electronically.

You OPTIN to electronic processing after you send them the I-864 for each immigrant and paid the $70 fee fore each I-864.

You filed TWO I-130s for visas, one for each parent so each needs an I-864.

There are cases where one I-130 is filed for a group (For example: a sibling, in this case the sibling, sibling's spouse, and sibling's children are covered by the one I-130, so one I-864)

Uh oh....we have already opted in to electronic processing. When I went to pay the fees I had to use their new case numbers. With the old case number it wouldn't let me in. We have paid the $70 fee already and I'm mailing the I-864 today.

We emailed the other documents last night. Do you think this is going to cause us any problems?

Uh oh....we have already opted in to electronic processing. When I went to pay the fees I had to use their new case numbers. With the old case number it wouldn't let me in. We have paid the $70 fee already and I'm mailing the I-864 today.

We emailed the other documents last night. Do you think this is going to cause us any problems?

Should be fine, they will simply hold until they get the I-864, and then proceed.

Should be fine, they will simply hold until they get the I-864, and then proceed.

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)

It is mailed:

After completing the form on the computer, print it. The forms cannot be submitted electronically.

You OPTIN to electronic processing after you send them the I-864 for each immigrant and paid the $70 fee fore each I-864.

There are cases where one I-130 is filed for a group (For example: a sibling, in this case the sibling, sibling's spouse, and sibling's children are covered by the one I-130, so one I-864)

This instruction is for the normal way of submitting the documents to NVC. The instructions for the DS-230 also state:

Mail the DS-230 and the applicant’s civil documents, and the applicant's photographs to the NVC.

If you file electronically you submit all of these documents via scanned PDF files and then bring the originals to the interview. Mailing them to NVC will only confuse one's case.

From http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4595.html

The applicant must scan and e-mail appropriate forms and/or documents as requested by NVC (no paper copies will be accepted).

- and -

The applicant will need to present the original physical documents to the US Embassy/Consulate at the time of the applicant's visa interview. Failure to do so may cause a delay or denial of the visa being sought.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

It is mailed:

This instruction is for the normal way of submitting the documents to NVC. The instructions for the DS-230 also state:

Mail the DS-230 and the applicant¡¯s civil documents, and the applicant's photographs to the NVC.

If you file electronically you submit all of these documents via scanned PDF files and then bring the originals to the interview. Mailing them to NVC will only confuse one's case.

From http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4595.html

The applicant must scan and e-mail appropriate forms and/or documents as requested by NVC (no paper copies will be accepted).

- and -

The applicant will need to present the original physical documents to the US Embassy/Consulate at the time of the applicant's visa interview. Failure to do so may cause a delay or denial of the visa being sought.

Yes from the above link it looks like you OPT IN and then wait for further instructions, it looks like you will scan and send the I-864 to them per the above link.

Well, monkey. :P I have already mailed the I-864 now. What should I do? Go ahead and email them? Call them? I'm feeling like I might be in some trouble now.

Simply wait for the mail from NVC and then OPT IN and send then EMAIL another copy at that time.

Even though we have already opted in? And sent the other requested documents through email?

I am assuming you mean that you have already emailed the IV application and supporting documents. Did you get an email back from NVC confirming receipt of your scanned documents? They should send you an email back and I would imagine they will state your package is not complete because they are waiting for your AOS documentation.

You should email in the AOS documentation to the same email address.

Yes, I have emailed the IV application and supporting documents. I actually had everything else already scanned, but then read the instructions and thought I was supposed to mail the I-864 when it said "this form cannot be submitted electronically." I'll go ahead and email them. Thank you for your help, everyone!