In the process of finalizing all of my I-864 documentation, I have found differences of Income levels from my transcripts to my W2 statments from my company. I understand on the W2 the employer will give your "gross" income before all 'pre-tax' deductions. Where as the tax transcripts will give the "adjusted gross income'. Because we want to show the maximum amont of income on the I-864, it is always better to give the "gross income" from the W2, Correct? But, I am also submitting three years of tax transcripts, I got my 2009 today because I have already filed my taxes.

Have their been any issues where the Consular Officer see's a differences in income and questions it? or are they aware that there can be slight differences? Any information on this matter would be appreciated.

thank you

Dan

Transcripts should have a line that says Total Positive Income

Just looked at my 2009 Transcripts, no such line "Total Positive Income". I do not know if the employer actually will report Gross becuase there are Pre-Tax items that reduce your "taxable" income. From that I can only ascertain that the IRS only knows about your taxable income, correct?

With that said, would it be safe to put the largest number either if it was on your W2 or your Transcripts. I say this becuase on my 2007 W2, it is less than my transcripts. So for my 2007 income i put the gross amount from my Transcripts and indicated that on a cover letter for my I-864 "packages".. Does this sound like a prudent / accetable thing to do?

Just looked at my 2009 Transcripts, no such line "Total Positive Income". I do not know if the employer actually will report Gross becuase there are Pre-Tax items that reduce your "taxable" income. From that I can only ascertain that the IRS only knows about your taxable income, correct?

With that said, would it be safe to put the largest number either if it was on your W2 or your Transcripts. I say this becuase on my 2007 W2, it is less than my transcripts. So for my 2007 income i put the gross amount from my Transcripts and indicated that on a cover letter for my I-864 "packages".. Does this sound like a prudent / accetable thing to do?

Gross income from transcripts.

Note: If you are using transcripts, you DO NOT need to attach Copy of return (1040,W2,1099) per the directions included with form I-864. Give them the transcripts only, this way there is no questioning the differences.

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every FormW-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy.
I-864 instructions Page 8 http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf

Gross income from transcripts.

Note: If you are using transcripts, you DO NOT need to attach Copy of return (1040,W2,1099) per the directions included with form I-864. Give them the transcripts only, this way there is no questioning the differences.

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every FormW-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy.
I-864 instructions Page 8 http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf

The only thing about this is that my 2008 & 2009 W2 show a higher income than my tax transcripts show, almost by 10K. BUT my 2007 Tax transcripts show about 20K higher than the one W2 I have. This is why I have thoughts about including them all. Do you really think there can be some confusion? Just want to show my "GROSS INCOME" so that they can see how much i truly make.

It doesn't matter what we "want" to show; we need to show what they ask form:

For purposes of this affidavit, the line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ,the line for adjusted gross income will be considered.

Use the line on the 1040 tax return which says "TOTAL INCOME"; If using EZ, then it says, "ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME".