Language Spoken At Interview

We are currently applying for IR-5 visa's for my husband's parents.

My husband swears up and down that at his interview he saw an elderly woman whose son was at the interview to translate for her.

Now, it has been a few years since our interview, but as I remember it, only the applicant was allowed upstairs to the interview area. I know that I stayed downstairs in the coffee shop.

Is this correct? My husband cannot go up with his parents, right?

Also, they don't speak English. I seem to remember that the visa officers can speak Chinese, as well. My in laws do speak Mandarin. So, this should not be a problem, right?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Edited by Katrina (see edit history)

The consulate has English, Mandarin speaking interviewers as well as a translator that can handle Cantonese.

Cannot be accompanied by petitioner.

When I was in Guangzhou I sat outside with a lady who was there for her mother's visa interview, she could not accompany her mother.

When my wife interviewed there was a person present who was from Tibet. No one at the consulate could speak his language so they brought in his translator (who accompanied him) during his interview. There are several consulate workers who will be able to communicate with your parents. No worries there.

No, your husband isn't going to be able to go with them up to the consulate floor.

I waited across the street at the Starbucks. The coffee was cheaper (much much cheaper) and I had free wifi.