Documents for NVC I-130 Stepson

I filed an I-130 for my 17 year old stepson. His stubborn father finally relinquished custody. It has been a few years since I went thru this with my wife. Do they now send the original documents such as birth, custody, marriage, divorce & etc. certificates to the National Visa Center? Looks like a change from six years ago when she brought the originals to the interview. I just want to make sure we have the original documents in the right location, China or the USA? Thanks!

Yes you will be sending the requested docs to NVC, better yet OPT IN to electronic process you would scan and send the docs to NVC.

Start here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37703

More about document processing: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

Yes you will be sending the requested docs to NVC, better yet OPT IN to electronic process you would scan and send the docs to NVC.

More about document processing: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought I saw something about children under 21 being excluded from the electronic process. I paid the AOS fee electronically, but never received any option from NVC in their communications about doing the I-864 and other forms electronically. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought I saw something about children under 21 being excluded from the electronic process. I paid the AOS fee electronically, but never received any option from NVC in their communications about doing the I-864 and other forms electronically. Thanks!

Nope, the electronic process is for all I-130 cases.

An email needs to be sent to them by you requesting to OPTIN.

Okay, I must have been going with old information from GUZ SPEAKS last July. I thought he was ineligible due to his age.

"Dear CFL Members,

The National Visa Center (NVC) has started a new pilot program of electronically processing visa petitions. Under this program all documents related to your case will be sent to Guangzhou electronically, rather than by mail. This should greatly improve the speed and efficiency of visa processing by avoiding delays due to postal service delivery.

The electronic processing option is available only for the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou, China and will initially be available only to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens over the age of 21 years (visa categories IR-1, IR-2, CR-1, CR-2, and IR-5)."

I was telling my wife that couples could now file their NVC cases electronically. Sure beats the days when people were trying to track DHL packages from NVC to Guangzhou wondering if their case files were stuck in Customs. :lol:

We'll have to give it a shot, it sure would speed-up the process. Thanks!

Okay, I must have been going with old information from GUZ SPEAKS last July. I thought he was ineligible due to his age.

"Dear CFL Members,

The National Visa Center (NVC) has started a new pilot program of electronically processing visa petitions. Under this program all documents related to your case will be sent to Guangzhou electronically, rather than by mail. This should greatly improve the speed and efficiency of visa processing by avoiding delays due to postal service delivery.

The electronic processing option is available only for the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou, China and will initially be available only to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens over the age of 21 years (visa categories IR-1, IR-2, CR-1, CR-2, and IR-5)."

I was telling my wife that couples could now file their NVC cases electronically. Sure beats the days when people were trying to track DHL packages from NVC to Guangzhou wondering if their case files were stuck in Customs. :lol:

We'll have to give it a shot, it sure would speed-up the process. Thanks!

Your son is IR-2, and you the US Citizen are older than age 21, this is the age of the petitioner, not the Beneficiary. Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Wow, it is definitely time to put me out to pasture or at least buy me some new glasses. Silly me to assume you would have to be a minimum of 21 years old to file a petition, NOPE.

OK not that has been made clear, go for the OPTIN Electronic processing, it will save you much time.
  • 1 month later...

Well, I followed your advise and pursued the OPTIN. Received an email approval from NVC, but since I had already mailed the AOS paperwork, they requested that I scan everything and submit it electronically. I followed the instructions and scanned and submitted everything in an email electronically. My question is do they usually send any kind of confirmation email that they actually received my email and the AOS documents? Or do we just wait and hope & pray?

Well, I followed your advise and pursued the OPTIN. Received an email approval from NVC, but since I had already mailed the AOS paperwork, they requested that I scan everything and submit it electronically. I followed the instructions and scanned and submitted everything in an email electronically. My question is do they usually send any kind of confirmation email that they actually received my email and the AOS documents? Or do we just wait and hope & pray?

Yep, they should confirm, and then tell you that the case has been sent to the consulate, as well as interview date.