P3 Arrived - just when I started worrying!

On the weekend I made my first post on Candle for Love, concerned that we had not gotten our P3 after 3 months. Monday I got a fed Ex - it was the P3! Na never got hers. She was concerned about the security of her mail, and gave me the address of her former employer. She has a friend watching for mail, even though she does not work there anymore. (Lost her job when she let it out that she was betrothed to an american, and might soon leave). So I think the company may be refusing mail for her.

Anyway I have a couple questions - should she go ahead and go to Guangzhou and get her medical exam, or should she wait for P4? And alternatively, can she just wait for the interview and schedule her medical exam for the day before - that would mean she could do it all in one trip to Guanzhou? (or is that risky?)

I would like to share my timeline - where should I post it??

On the weekend I made my first post on Candle for Love, concerned that we had not gotten our P3 after 3 months. Monday I got a fed Ex - it was the P3! Na never got hers. She was concerned about the security of her mail, and gave me the address of her former employer. She has a friend watching for mail, even though she does not work there anymore. (Lost her job when she let it out that she was betrothed to an american, and might soon leave). So I think the company may be refusing mail for her.

Anyway I have a couple questions - should she go ahead and go to Guangzhou and get her medical exam, or should she wait for P4? And alternatively, can she just wait for the interview and schedule her medical exam for the day before - that would mean she could do it all in one trip to Guanzhou? (or is that risky?)

I would like to share my timeline - where should I post it??

Congrats on the P-3. I'd wait on the P-4 with interview date and go a few days in advance for the medical...you can get the medical and the results on the same day, but don't cut yourselves short get it a couple of days ahead, at least.

For the timeline, go to "my controls" at the top of the page, click on it, and then find edit signature...you put your timeline in your signature.

Good luck with the interview...the worrying part should have been before you sent in the application. :eyebrow:

tsap seui

Tsap, was right on.

My wife and I headed to Guangzhou two days before her interview (arrived on Monday - interviewed on Wednesday). When you get your P4, there should be a list of approved hospitals in Guangzhou that can handle the medical evaluation.

What we did was call these hospitals in advance and ask them if they were able to do same day processing (as well as fees involved). Your wife or fiancee can easily call from within China. Below is a link to all of the packet information Guangzhou has listed on their site. If you want, you can download the medical examination instructions (GIV-8) and use the information to start planning your trip.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm

My wife went to the United Family hospital. You can read about her account here:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=526766

EDIT:

Actually, I'll just quote the relevant part from my post:

My wife left for her medical around 10:30 AM. She went to the United Family Clinic and returned around 4:00 PM. Mr. Yang went with her and stayed with her during the whole ordeal. My wife received three shots: Varicella, MMR, and TD (price 440 RMB – Medical Exam 800 RMB – taxi from the Yang’s 12 RMB).

http://www.unitedfamilyhospitals.com/gzindex.asp

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Will need documents that are in P4 to do medical, simply do the medical a few days before the visa interview.

Note two things in P3 need to be returned to the consulate before they will send out P4.

OF-169 and DS-230 part 1

There is plenty of time to gather the documents requested in OF-169, however the documents should be gathered ASAP within the time that you send the P3 docs to the consulate.

My wife and I headed to Guangzhou two days before her interview (arrived on Monday - interviewed on Wednesday). When you get your P4, there should be a list of approved hospitals in Guangzhou that can handle the medical evaluation.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Your post brings up a question. I wasn't planning on going with her to the interview. Much as I would like to, its difficult to get away for the trip for more than a few days, and I want to use that to help her pack and say goodbye once she has the visa. Other than giving her support, is there any reason the petitioner should be there?

David and Na

Other people have successfully interviewed without their other half being present with them in GUZ. You can only do what you can do. I'm sure GUZ understands the workplace dilemma many couples face when trying to juggle work responsibilities with their interview date. Just my opinion. Oh, and I'm quite aware that there are others who will disagree with me. I'll reemphasize that you can only do what you can do.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Other people have successfully interviewed without their other half being present with them in GUZ. You can only do what you can do. I'm sure GUZ understands the workplace dilemma many couples face when trying to juggle work responsibilities with their interview date. Just my opinion. Oh, and I'm quite aware that there are others who will disagree with me. I'll reemphasize that you can only do what you can do.

My thinking was that they only interviewed the beneficiary. Do they also interview me, the petitioner, if I am there? If so, then I will figure out how to be there.

My thinking was that they only interviewed the beneficiary. Do they also interview me, the petitioner, if I am there? If so, then I will figure out how to be there.

No they do not interview the petitioner. Attending the interview can allow three things to happen (in my view):

1) She can give the VO your passport and tell him that you came to China to support her for the interview. The theory being that this helps a prove bona fide relationship (you could mail the passport to her and she could lie and say you were there so how much this helps seems debatable to me).

2) If she gets a blue slip you can at least try to discuss with someone in the IV section and understand why/what/how to resolve.

3) You show support to your loved one and help calm her especially if she is really nervous.

I attended the interview but I was living in China so it was not quite so much a "big deal". If I had been back in the USA I most likely would not have gone.

Edited by shenzhen (see edit history)

1) She can give the VO your passport and tell him that you came to China to support her for the interview. The theory being that this helps a prove bona fide relationship (you could mail the passport to her and she could lie and say you were there so how much this helps seems debatable to me).

2) If she gets a blue slip you can at least try to discuss with someone in the IV section and understand why/what/how to resolve.

3) You show support to your loved one and help calm her especially if she is really nervous.

I hadn't thought about me being able to be there to discuss with the officials if there is a problem. I'll have to think about it. It might be possible if we could fly home to Changsha in Hunan the next day, pack and say goodby - do it all in one trip. Adding 3 days to the trip is a lot different from going twice. Its so frustrating - between a new job and custody of my child, its really difficult to get away for more than a few days.

Edited by Woodman (see edit history)

If you mailed it to her it wouldn't have a visa entry stamp for the current visit.

If you mailed it to her it wouldn't have a visa entry stamp for the current visit.

True but in our case they discarded the EOR letter I inserted in the passport without looking at it and then looked at the Bio page for about 10 seconds and then tossed the passport back to my wife. I think number 2 and 3 are much more important reasons for being at the interview but if one cannot make it then I don't think it means more probability for a denial.