I sent my 129F for a K1 in August 09, received word that NVC was sending to Guangzhou in December of 09.

I never received my passport or supporting documents back from the NVC/UCIS. Is this normal that they retain the petitioner's passport?

I want to visit my fiancee (and need to be able to make some international travel for work), so I submitted an G884 (request for return of original documents). Does anyone have any experience how fast this return happens?

And more importantly, can I assume that requesting the return of my passport won't interview with the processing of the K-1??

You are the first person I've heard that sent in their passport with the I-129F. Not a good idea, when they ask for COPIES.

They normally do not return ANYTHING from your application. You might set up an InfoPass appt with your local USCIS office, or simply apply for a replacement.

??? WHY DID YOU SEND THEM THAT DOCUMENT ???

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

You can try filing a G-884 to request it back, or declare it lost and deal with DOS for a new one.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/us/us_848.html

This is the first time I have EVER heard of someone sending their passport in with a petition like that.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

You are the first person I've heard that sent in their passport with the I-129F. Not a good idea, when they ask for COPIES.

They normally do not return ANYTHING from your application. You might set up an InfoPass appt with your local USCIS office, or simply apply for a replacement.

I had an unusual situation. I have a "Delayed Certificate of Birth" - because my parents couldn't decide on my name in the hospital, then forgot to finish the certificate until I needed it to go into school at age 4. A year ago I lost my passport and when I requested a replacement, the increased standards at the passport office caused them to reject me, giving me a temporary (1 year) passport, which I eventually got upgraded by sending my confirmation certificate and two affidavits to my citizenship (Ugghh!). But likewise when I send in the 129F, they denied my delayed birth certificate and requested additional information - they didn't specify copies so I sent the originals. So now I can't even get a replacement passport, because they have my confirmation certificate as well as my passport.

I think I made a big mistake.

Edited by Woodman (see edit history)

I had an unusual situation. I have a "Delayed Certificate of Birth" - because my parents couldn't decide on my name in the hospital, then forgot to finish the certificate until I needed it to go into school at age 4. A year ago I lost it and when I requested a replacement, the increased standards at the passport office caused them to reject me, giving me a temporary (1 year) visa, which I eventually got upgraded by sending my confirmation certificate and two affidavits to my citizenship (Ugghh!). But likewise when I send in the 129F, they denied my delayed birth certificate and requested additional information - they didn't specify copies so I sent the originals. So now I can't even get a replacement passport, because they have my confirmation certificate as well as my passport.

I think I made a big mistake.

This is a case for using the G-884 I quoted above.

I sent my G884 a month ago. But now I am very concerned since I realize they do not normally get originals. They may not even have retained my documents.

Calling the NVC/UCIS is useless - the agents just have canned answers and didn't have one that helped me, other than to file a G884. Nothing about how long retrieval would take, or how I could get more information on its status.

{Repaired quotes}

I sent my G884 a month ago. But now I am very concerned since I realize they do not normally get originals. They may not even have retained my documents.

Calling the NVC/UCIS is useless - the agents just have canned answers and didn't have one that helped me, other than to file a G884. Nothing about how long retrieval would take, or how I could get more information on its status.

I was able to get an actuall Immigration Office (3rd level supervisor) on the phone at USCIS but I had to be firm, demanding, and patience without being angry. Explain to them in a firm demanding tone your situation (everything you wrote here) and request to speak to someone who can help you with this issue.

Randy also suggested the INFOPASS route.

{Repaired Quotes}

I think an INFOPASS may be semi-useful to see what USCIS says... but i'd be very careful of whatever they said since it's your passport, not theirs.

After going to USCIS, I would probably just go to the post office and get a new passport.

Yes I would think DOS will simply issue a replacement passport if provided sufficient evidence of ID. I don't think they will need proof of citizenship for a replacement passport.

I believe DS-64 and DS-11 are all that are needed to be sent to DOS for a replacement passport.

SEE: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds64/ds64_845.html

Yes I would think DOS will simply issue a replacement passport if provided sufficient evidence of ID. I don't think they will need proof of citizenship for a replacement passport.

I believe DS-64 and DS-11 are all that are needed to be sent to DOS for a replacement passport.

SEE: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds64/ds64_845.html

You would think that, as did I. But when I got one last year, I ran into that "Delayed Certificate of Birth" problem I described above. Here I am, a family that came here in the 1870s, all family members citizens from a long line of citizens, had a passport for 20 years (obtained then with my delayed certificate of birth) - and they wouldn't give me a replacement passport. Needed school records (no school keeps them that long) or hospital records (routinely destroyed after 10 years) or a baptism certificate (born a mormon, not baptised until age 8). I did have a "cert of blessing" - but it was lost also (turned out the ex wife was secretly holding it for ransom). They gave me a limited passport, and I wasn't able to get a full term one until I found the cert of blessing and gave two signed affidavits from mother and sister that said, yes, I was born.

Good news - I did find my original Certificat of Blessing today, so if I should have to get a replacement, I should be able to, armed with it and the affidavits. So I'll try to retrieve it, and if I can't, get a replacement. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Dan - you need a heavier tone arm there on your record player (4 identical posts in a row). :lol: :lol:

What happened?? :lol:

Strange internet behavior last night, wife watching PP live, and I was surfing a few sites including CFL other sites OK however CFL was not responding to the post button. CFL just not refreshing in a timely mannor. I gave up and got off Candle. I have seen a few people having similar issues lately mostly those in China. I simply merge the duplicates into one post.