VOIP services

I currently have domestic voip service and rely on calling cards for international long distance calling into China. Call quality wise, this setup is fine. We don't make too many calls yet, so cost wise, it's not a motivating factor for us to make a switch. But calling cards are a pain, they expire if you don't use them quickly enough and we have to keep buying new ones. I know there are services that you can refill and even do the refilling for you, but if I were going to go that far, I might as well sign up for an all inclusive service for more convenience.

That said, I am thinking about joining either vonage or italkbb.

Both have unlimited plans for calling into China.

Doing a bit of comparison, italkbb seems to be cheaper. Moving to italkbb would actually be a NIL cost difference switch for me. Plus they also offer a local China number that can dialback to my number for free, which is a plus for our friend and family to call us. (Though I am hesitant making it too easy for them since I don't want to get calls in the middle of the night or have the gabbing hogging the line for hours) Anyone currently use these services from italkbb?

If so, any comments? I am interested in service quality (clarity, ease of connections, etc.).

Are there any hidden or extra costs?

Is this service really all you can eat or do they put a cap on it? Their web page seems to indicate that it's up to their discretion to judge if you are using the service for "business" services. So it would seem they are building in a back door easily to cap you.

What about the China callback number, is it really free?

For the technically inclined on this forum, any idea how much bandwidth does the service consumes? Do they give you knobs, either on your account page, or via the little voip modem to tune call quality and bandwidth?

Anyone using vonage international plan? Similarly, any comments?

If you have other recommendations, those are welcome too.

It doesn't have to be all you can eat, but it does have to beat what I am paying now, which is about 1.3 cents per minute into China using a moderately honest (in their accounting of your usage) calling card good for 90 days from purchase.

I've been using I-talk BB for over three years now. Until this year they would give you two months free if you paid a year in advance. This year they are offering a cell phone access number and 200 minutes a month of cell phone access if you pay a year in advance. We don't need the cell phone service so we're going to opt out of the prepaid plan and go with the $25 a month charge since paying in advance won't save us any money. The only hidden fee is the taxes which all phone plans have, $2.95 a month. The quality is as good as your internet connection. We have cable internet so we don't even have a phone line coming into the house. Occasionally we have quality issues but for the most part I'm satisfied with the service. A friend of ours who has Verizon FIOS says his quality is great. Every now and then I'll need to reboot the modem but this seems to be a common issue with all VOIP systems. The Chinese number to call us is free other than the same local charges they would have to make a local call. Over all it's a good deal and I recommend it for anyone who has friends and family in China.

I've been using I-talk BB for over three years now. Until this year they would give you two months free if you paid a year in advance. This year they are offering a cell phone access number and 200 minutes a month of cell phone access if you pay a year in advance. We don't need the cell phone service so we're going to opt out of the prepaid plan and go with the $25 a month charge since paying in advance won't save us any money. The only hidden fee is the taxes which all phone plans have, $2.95 a month. The quality is as good as your internet connection. We have cable internet so we don't even have a phone line coming into the house. Occasionally we have quality issues but for the most part I'm satisfied with the service. A friend of ours who has Verizon FIOS says his quality is great. Every now and then I'll need to reboot the modem but this seems to be a common issue with all VOIP systems. The Chinese number to call us is free other than the same local charges they would have to make a local call. Over all it's a good deal and I recommend it for anyone who has friends and family in China.

Thanks for your comments Carl. Yes, I noticed that cell phone gimmick they are pushing trying to get you to sign up for a year in advance too. It wasn't a motivating factor at all.

I prepaid in advance once with SunRocket, about 2 weeks before they went belly up. ;-) Luckily, the credit card got my back that time. I don't think that I'll make that mistake again.

Well, it's taken me over 4 years of marriage to finally try iTALKbb, Carl. :)

We've had the service for about a month now. No more phone cards. :lol: Leiqin's friends and family can also call her for free by dailing a local Chinese exchange phone number before calling ours (although, she's been reluctant to give the number out or be fielding calls 24/7).

Actually, without the full-year sign on they give you 500 free (call China) cell phone minutes.

The phone adapter cost $30. It came in the mail within ~4 days after calling and signing up. Plug it in and start calling China. The iTALKbb girl that signed me up was Chinese with a typical strong Chinese accent. It wasn't that challenging for me to answer her questions, but I would imagine that those who haven't had years of challenging dialog with a Chinese spouse might have more difficulty.

iTalkBB Customer Service: 1-877-482-5503

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)