Foreign Teachers Guide To Living And Working In China

Dennis143

This is a great site packed full of information on many things about China:

http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/sitemap.htm

A few topics of many...

Culture Shock and Clinical Depression

Four Stages of Culture Shock

...it is estimated that up to 50 percent of all new expats eventually leave China earlier than planned...

A great deal has been written about the nature of the culture shock experienced, to varying degrees, by all foreigners in China. Essentially, just about everything is different: currency, food, available merchandise, mores and ethics, social customs and traditions, personal hygiene, medical care and family life, not to mention the physical and natural environment, to name but the major ones.

One's ability to adjust to life in China depends greatly on how resilient one's character is as well as how determined one is to make the myriad of psychological, emotional and physical adjustments required. Almost anyone can tolerate most anything for a limited period of time: Therefore, the ones who must make the greatest personal, emotional and mental adjustments required to live in China, with relative success, are the ones who¡ªfor one reason or another¡ªhave made a long-term commitment to remaining here for the "long haul."

Psychologists have identified four distinct, and often overlapping, stages that characterize the phenomenology of those who move to and remain in a different culture: 1) Excitement; 2) Withdrawal; 3) Adjustment, and; 4) Enthusiasm.

Excitement or Honeymoon Stage

Understanding Chinese Women

Most foreign men, prior to visiting China¡ªparticularly ones who have never dated an Asian girl before¡ªhold a stereotype of Chinese women that portrays them as these soft, demure, reserved, shy, alluring, and near ethereal-like "creatures." What Western men encounter instead is often something much closer to the polar opposite. Although it is difficult, if not nearly impossible, to generalize about women from any specific country or culture, there is a great deal of strong anecdotal evidence, as well as data from a few empirical research studies, to suggest that many Chinese women do share certain culturally-influenced and induced characteristics.

This unit will attempt to describe and explain the various factors at play that influence the psychosocial development of women in China today and how these express themselves in relationships with men.

Language Barrier

At Least They Speak English

Probably the greatest adjustment required of us all as foreign teachers is coping with the language barrier¡ªand it is so formidable, pervasive and ubiquitous, that it is almost unimaginable prior to arriving in China.

Despite the push for all of its citizens to learn English, the truth is¡ªespecially outside the three major international cities¡ªthe English speaking abilities of the Chinese, in general, are abysmal to non-existent. The reality is, the vast majority of Chinese students acquire just enough language skills to pass their English language certification exams and to win a better job but, after graduating from college and securing that first job, will seldom, if ever, use one word of spoken English again for the rest of their lives. A few will land positions that require the use of English on a regular or even daily basis, such as tour guides (in major cities), translators and Chinese English teachers, but probably 85 to 90 percent will never utter or use another word of spoken English again after graduating from college (although those who work for international companies will need to use their reading and, possibly, writing skills on occasion). Consequently¡ªand this is particularly true in regions and cities where foreigners are scarce¡ªvirtually everyone you encounter will not be able to communicate with you in English.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Psychologists have identified four distinct, and often overlapping, stages that characterize the phenomenology of those who move to and remain in a different culture: 1) Excitement; 2) Withdrawal; 3) Adjustment, and; 4) Enthusiasm.

I don't think these four stages are on target, but I do "enthusiastically" pursue the 250s that nearly kill me with their wild driving habits.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I don't think these four stages are on target, but I do "enthusiastically" pursue the 250s that nearly kill me with their wild driving habits.

Then what four stages would you use to generalize foreigners ability to adapt, adjust and cope in china?

I might only 'adust' the adjustment phase to imply there is no adjustment possible.... so that stage 4 includes "Escape".

Then what four stages would you use to generalize foreigners ability to adapt, adjust and cope in china?

I might only 'adust' the adjustment phase to imply there is no adjustment possible.... so that stage 4 includes "Escape".

I'm not really in favor of pigeon-holing human experience, but I will concede that many people have similar experiences when adjusting to another culture. It's really hard to nail down any one set of rules for China and I think those who attempt to, have only cataloged their personal experience sort of like Cosmopolitan magazine has it's list of the top ten things men like. Some foreigners I meet seem to have a hard time, and never adjust, and consequently leave unhappy and bitter. There are others that stay, but never seem to be happy about anything; they would probably be that way no matter where they go. Still others, seem to make it without missing a beat and are seemingly unaffected. Everyone will experience something of adjustment, but I really don't think there is any way to generalize it.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

As has been said, pigeon-holing is never going to turn out correct, but from what I see and experience, the four groupings aren't correct.

I would say that it is more like one of these two paths....

1. Excitement

2. Confusion

3. Withdrawal

4. Escape

or

1. Excitement

2. Confusion

3. Immersion

4. Assimilation

The path one would choose will be determined by their inner strength and their reasons for wanting to be here. One the one hand, there are those that come here to live with an "open-ended" plan and although they would like to stay; they are more than willing to go home.

Another person might come here with the sole and single-minded intent of staying no matter what and overcoming all obstacles to a well-managed life.

I have seen both types here. And within those types, people that move or assimilate at different speeds. The speed of inclusion/assimilation only needs to be done at the speed that the person is comfortable with.

Back to the first type, they are never going to include themselves in the populace and culture. They seem to be the type that wants to world to conform to them and then they withdraw when it doesn't. I know this is stereotyping, but it really can't be helped. This stereotypical type, in my observations, have mostly been Americans. Europeans seem to have a better handle on openness and adaptability as they have lived in a society that is more diverse with smaller countries, different languages, different cultures/customs/traditions. Americans typically do not get this exposure.

This is a subject that could go on and on. Everyone is different and every single person has a different perspective/breaking point/stubbornness/willingness.

Indeed, a great site. Wish I had such a resource when I first moved to China way back when. I am not so sure one can break things down into handy little stages like that, although psychologists love to do such lists.

Looks like a very interesting site. I was just looking at the section on "attraction to foreign men" and how they said they now needed to temper their previous assertion that Chinese women had a near ubiquitous preference for foreign men over Chinese men. Ay corumba... For how long, a month into their first relationship with one? <_<

Looks like a very interesting site. I was just looking at the section on "attraction to foreign men" and how they said they now needed to temper their previous assertion that Chinese women had a near ubiquitous preference for foreign men over Chinese men. Ay corumba... For how long, a month into their first relationship with one? :rolleyes:

Bzzzt ... wrong answer.

Try: A month after they've been added as joint account holders.

Looks like a very interesting site. I was just looking at the section on "attraction to foreign men" and how they said they now needed to temper their previous assertion that Chinese women had a near ubiquitous preference for foreign men over Chinese men. Ay corumba... For how long, a month into their first relationship with one? :D

Bzzzt ... wrong answer.

Try: A month after they've been added as joint account holders.

:rolleyes: