I-130 / CR1 Visa Good for How Long?

Greetings:

I understand that the K1 is good for up to 6 months from the time it is given out. What about the CR1? My wife is pregnant and if we do not get the interview in time for her to travel because she will not be able to travel after her 8th month of pregnancy. She will have to remain in China until after the birth of our child. But yet she will be able to go to her interview up until the day of her delivery. Then after the birth of our child she can't travel for a month or so.

So, that is why i am wondering how long is the CR1 good for ? Same as K1? I did try to "google" it but to no avail.

Oh, also just out of curiosity, we are going to "OPTIN" for electronic filing once we get there. So how long does it take to get an interview date?

Dan

Greetings:

I understand that the K1 is good for up to 6 months from the time it is given out. What about the CR1? My wife is pregnant and if we do not get the interview in time for her to travel because she will not be able to travel after her 8th month of pregnancy. She will have to remain in China until after the birth of our child. But yet she will be able to go to her interview up until the day of her delivery. Then after the birth of our child she can't travel for a month or so.

So, that is why i am wondering how long is the CR1 good for ? Same as K1? I did try to "google" it but to no avail.

Oh, also just out of curiosity, we are going to "OPTIN" for electronic filing once we get there. So how long does it take to get an interview date?

Dan

That leaves a two month window where she doesn't want to travel - nothing that needs to concern anyone, or that should cause any delay outside of the two months.

She can interview when it is scheduled (assuming the pregnancy doesn't interfere with THAT), and then use the visa when she is ready, up to six months later.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
13. How soon can I travel to the U.S. once the visa is issued? For how long is my visa valid?

You can travel as soon as you receive your visa. Immigrant and fiance visas are valid for six months; note that you must enter the U.S. by this visa expiration date. In some cases, visas may be limited to expire before the end of the standard six-month period. Again, please note that you must enter the U.S. before your visa’s validity expires.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/iv_faqs.html#A13

Note: Short Validity periods tend to be set when passport has 6 months or less left on it.

As for Optin Processing, typically NVC process takes about 2 months, with interview set sometime a month or two after the case leaves NVC.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

My wife had a new 10 year passport. Her entry visa was set for only a 5 month validity.