chinese travelling to Virgin Islands no visa?

Ok so I mentioned my backup plan if she cant get a tourist visa to the US is for us to try and go to a carribean island. After researching it seems the US virgin islands dont require a chinese visa. I got on their website it just basically says in one sentence that chinese dont need a visa, just a passport.

It just doesnt sound right to me. If the US is so strict and even the other carribean islands are strict why would the US virgin islands be so easy? I also cant seem to find any contact information to call or ask about it? If anyone can find contact information for their offices I would be very grateful. :ph34r:

Edited by Turbo SS1414 (see edit history)

US Tourist Visa covers US Territories like Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands, however other (COUNTRIES) in the Caribbean WILL require visas. A Visa WILL be required to visit the British Virgin Islands

Can make a flight into the USA and then on to the US Territories, however if you have to connect through a third country a transit visa MAY be required.

Transit visa requirements can be found here:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

Visa required, except for Those arriving directly from U.S.

Mainland, Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Northern Mariana Isl., Puerto

Rico, Samoa (American) or Swains Isl.

Since a visa is required to enter the USA then connecting to US VI is covered by the USA visa requirement.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_webs...ubuser=DELTAB2C

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Found this:

"The U.S. Virgin Islands is a United States territory; therefore entry requirements are the same as for the United States of America. If you currently hold a valid visa or permanent resident card for the United States, it is valid for U.S. Virgin Islands."

from here: http://www.travisa.com/nonuscitizen.asp

Darnit, I had hoped you were right! Keep us informed. Seems like I saw somewhere a posting of places PRC citizens could travel to fairly easily -- I'll look for it (maybe some other CFL'er has ideas too). But I don't think they were close to the U.S.

Well if she can fly to Vancouver and then fly to a carribean island it looks like she can just get a visa for that particular island. Its very difficult to tell how strict each island is on their visas though :(

I see what you are saying about the US virgin islands though.

Note: will need a transit Visa for Canada.

Well if she can fly to Vancouver and then fly to a carribean island it looks like she can just get a visa for that particular island. Its very difficult to tell how strict each island is on their visas though :(

I see what you are saying about the US virgin islands though.

When I worked this when I was Living in CHina - I gave up on the whole endeavor. Money was no object - and I couldn't break the code..so we just went to Kuala Lumpur(No Deposit Required) and Thailand (10,000 deposit) (Singapore was a no go on the VISA even with a big deposit) - mixed with close trips to Hong Kong and Macau. I at least got some travel visa's in her passport as well as her Chinese Travel Book (not the same thing).

Best of Luck

Found this:

"The U.S. Virgin Islands is a United States territory; therefore entry requirements are the same as for the United States of America. If you currently hold a valid visa or permanent resident card for the United States, it is valid for U.S. Virgin Islands."

from here: http://www.travisa.com/nonuscitizen.asp

Darnit, I had hoped you were right! Keep us informed. Seems like I saw somewhere a posting of places PRC citizens could travel to fairly easily -- I'll look for it (maybe some other CFL'er has ideas too). But I don't think they were close to the U.S.

If you find it that would be great!

This has been a subject of curiosity for me for years. I have found, from trying to find someplace that will not reject Chinese tourists, that probably the best thing to do is go to Panama. For Panama there are three classes of people: 1. those who do not need a visa or a tourist card. These are citizens of mostly European countries which have an agreement with Panama. 2. those who need a visa. These are citizens of 7 countries listed on the link. 3. those who do not need a visa but do need a tourist card. This includes China. To obtain a tourist card, all you have to do is land at the airport and pay $5 for the card.

To be certain what you are doing, of course you would need to call and talk to the embassy, but it is a good bet that the info on this link is correct. There are a lot of Chinese people in Panama.

It is a less than 4 hour flight from Atlanta. It has mountains and beaches and great food. My brother has been there several times and loves it.

Edited by Robert S. (see edit history)

No, I've never looked into that. Good luck with your plans. :D

I would add that Jamica will take Chinese tourists with a group. Also the tiny island country of Barbados will give a Chinese person a visa. I tried to find info about several other Caribbean nations, but it was not easily available checking thru lots of links. Belize does not seem to take hardly anybody. The smallest island countries I did not bother with because I got the impression they would probably be restrictive like the Netherlands Antilles. There is no need to think about Mexico - they are extremely restrictive towards Chinese people.

Edited by Robert S. (see edit history)

This has been a subject of curiosity for me for years. I have found, from trying to find someplace that will not reject Chinese tourists, that probably the best thing to do is go to Panama. For Panama there are three classes of people: 1. those who do not need a visa or a tourist card. These are citizens of mostly European countries which have an agreement with Panama. 2. those who need a visa. These are citizens of 7 countries listed on the link. 3. those who do not need a visa but do need a tourist card. This includes China. To obtain a tourist card, all you have to do is land at the airport and pay $5 for the card.

To be certain what you are doing, of course you would need to call and talk to the embassy, but it is a good bet that the info on this link is correct. There are a lot of Chinese people in Panama.

It is a less than 4 hour flight from Atlanta. It has mountains and beaches and great food. My brother has been there several times and loves it.

Thanks for posting this, this is great news. Panama is beautiful and very hospitable. The food is great and people are friendly.

I hope someone will call the Panamanian embassy and verify this info is correct and post the result of the call here. The P. govt web site seems to be in Spanish - perhaps there is one in English but I could not find it right away.

The Delta site posted by Dan says that visas/tourist cards are NOT required of green card holders

Visa required, except for Alien residents of the U.S.A., provided holding their Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) for a stay of max. 30 days.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)