Affidavit of Support

I have a question regarding the affidavit of support. Alright, so you would need to make 125% of the poverty guidelines. Ok thats good to go because I am well above that. My last two W-2's will fit the bill perfectly.

However, heres the thing. I am getting ready to get out of the military and all that nice military pay will cease to exsist halfway through the year. I am going to be a full time student and I have some pretty nice benefits to help me maintain that.

Do you guys think it will raise a flag if they see I am a full time student now? I am planning to start the paperwork in april and I will still be in the military. I am going to get a part time job as well just so I have some employment history going.

Thanks for your time.

One note: To help answer your questions you may want to use your profile signature block to give a simple BIO, "Applying for K-1" Perhaps "Met Date","Engagement Date", then things later like "Filed I-129F Date"

Anyway, Affidavit of Support comes up at the interview, not when filing the I-129F petition.

The consulate is concerned with your ability to support an immigrant AFTER the immigrant arrives in the USA. So if you are a Student, and your income falls below the threshold then you need to provide evidence that you have something more than income to provide support. (Either assets adding up to 3 times the shortfall in income, or a joint sponsor)

The evidence included with the I-134 paints a picture.

• IRS Returns (1040,W2,1099) or Transcripts. Show past income levels.
  • Pay stubs show current income levels.
  • Employer letter shows future income levels.
  • Assets show ability to supplement a low income situation.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Ok heres my game plan. I think its a good idea to go over this anyways so I know what type of shape the next 2 years of my life will be in.

I get Basic Allowance and Housing for the zip code my college is in. Which that will = $1500 X 9 Due to you only rating the BAH while an actual semester is going on.

Ok I plan to get a part time job. The way I worked it is, If get a job that pays $10 an hour and I work 20 hour week. Thats $10,000 before taxes. I am more concerned about finishing my college coursework than working a full time job right now.

Ok next thing to do, I am going to enlist in the Air Force Reserves. The benefits that come with it is pretty nice like really cheap health insurance and tax free shopping. Im currently in the Marines so Ill be getting out as a E-5 with 5 years of service. Reserve pay that = out $350 a month x 12 (2 days a month)

Theres also 14 days of the year you have to go on annual training, Ill just add $2,000 on top for that to make it simple on the math.

Ok so here it is.

BAH - $13,500

Part time job- $10,000

Reserve Pay- $6,200

Total- $29,700 a Year

I wont have a W-2 for any of this since this is the first time im actually taking advantage of it. If I am able to put this stuff down in a Letter format and give a detail breakdown as well as a signed letter from each the Veterans Affairs, My jobs Supervisor and say my Air Force Officer in charge that the pays will be pretty much be guaranteed. Do you guys think they will be convinced by all of this??

P.S I also own a home which I rent out and I get $1000 a month for. So in theory would be $12,000 a year. I didnt want to add that in my formula because I cant really count on this income for my standard of living as it is gone before I even see it towards my mortgage loan.

Edited by Amaro (see edit history)

If you show the $1000 per month income from the rental as income in your taxes you can count it as income.

The affidavit of support is about income, it has nothing about expenses.

Any income noted on the affidavit of support needs documentation showing where the income is coming from.

If you show the $1000 per month income from the rental as income in your taxes you can count it as income.

The affidavit of support is about income, it has nothing about expenses.

Any income noted on the affidavit of support needs documentation showing where the income is coming from.

Awesome thanks for your advice. That will put me right over 40k a year then. I shouldnt worry about this anymore.