The two most often asked for 'write-ups' that get requested through a blue slip are about one of your past marriages and the evolution of the current relationship.

The problem is, even if you bring it to the interview they more often don't accept it since they won't believe it will contain exactly what they want to ask for; so a blue slip is more convenient to request more info and have time to review it.

That being said; you can bring one but have no bad feeling if they refuse to read it.

I updated our Evolution of Relationship letter using the ending point of the EOR letter submitted with the petition as the starting point. I folded it and placed it inside my passport for her to hand to the VO at the start of the interview. The VO took the passport, pulled out the EOR letter and threw it in the trash can beside him. My wife said this scene was repeated over and over all morning.

If I had it to do again I would still write the EOR letter but would have just included it in the package of supporting documents she had with her.

I did not go the ACH or ACS before the interview. My personal opinion is the value of this is overblown, unless you have a specific question that you cannot get answered anywhere else or a known red flag you would like to address, and just wastes the time of the already stretched thin resources at GUZ (and GUZ is on record as stating that visits to ACH to "benefit" ones case are of no value).

In my case I had one possible red flag. According to my lawyer if they had found this red flag: (1) I would have already been given a RFE before petition approval or (2) GUZ already knows and will Blue Slip me no matter what you prepare, do or say. Her recommendation was to have support documentation ready to address this possible red flag but not to, under any circumstances, raise the issue on our own. If they had raised the issue we would have the evidence to provide on the spot for the overcome or to immediately send to GUZ to address the blue slip.

On the other hand I think it is important to go with one's spouse or fiancee to the interview just in case you get a blue in order to do exactly what RobertH was able to do and also to comfort S/F.

You know one reason for going to the consulate is to register your presence in Guangzhou. You do that with an appointment at ACS. That lets them know that you are in town. It is a common thing to do.

An alternate way to establish your presence is by giving your passport to your SO and have them give it to the VO during the interview.

I didn't go to either ACS or ACH but did the passport trick.

I think all of that information would be good to have on file. Whether they ask for it or not, well, that's a separate issue. At least you'd be prepared if they do ask for it.

For us, we took in an overkill amount of information, but only provided what they requested. 99 percent of the files we took - they didn't look at. We didn't try to get them to look at things they didn't request either.

So it probably would be a good idea to have it, just in case. But Not Necessary. I think my wife will need a two wheel cart by the time i get done with gather documents.. Just for grins I added up the phone calls for the last 4 months.. totals 600+ calls.. about 6 a day, and i have all phone bills.... So, I will write up a nice very short statement about ex-wife.. just in case they ask.

Thanks

Dan

I would advocate bring lots of supporting evidence, but not go crazy with any one type. We tried to balance quantity with quality and breadth. You also don't want to carry so much that you have to fumble around the mound of docs to look for stuff either, because that can really tick off the VOs and give you a blue slip.

BTW, let me explain the meaning of "lots", I don't actually mean a wheel barrow full. Think about how much your SO can safely/comfortably carry without breaking the old back. Actually, I remembered reading in the instructions about the restrictions on the type of luggage you can't bring into the Consulate. Like anything resembling roller type suit cases, etc. You can't even bring in a business style briefcase. We ended up using a backpack, a rather large one, think professional back packer type. And we had a filing system for locating stuff within it. ;-)

EDIT: Also I agree with others' comments. I wouldn't volunteer stuff during the interview unless you really think it would do you a lot of good. After all, why open yourself up for more questioning.

Edited by mmpv (see edit history)

I think all of that information would be good to have on file. Whether they ask for it or not, well, that's a separate issue. At least you'd be prepared if they do ask for it.

For us, we took in an overkill amount of information, but only provided what they requested. 99 percent of the files we took - they didn't look at. We didn't try to get them to look at things they didn't request either.

So it probably would be a good idea to have it, just in case. But Not Necessary. I think my wife will need a two wheel cart by the time i get done with gather documents.. Just for grins I added up the phone calls for the last 4 months.. totals 600+ calls.. about 6 a day, and i have all phone bills.... So, I will write up a nice very short statement about ex-wife.. just in case they ask.

Thanks

Dan

I would advocate bring lots of supporting evidence, but not go crazy with any one type. We tried to balance quantity with quality and breadth. You also don't want to carry so much that you have to fumble around the mound of docs to look for stuff either, because that can really tick off the VOs and give you a blue slip.

BTW, let me explain the meaning of "lots", I don't actually mean a wheel barrow full. Think about how much your SO can safely/comfortably carry without breaking the old back. Actually, I remembered reading in the instructions about the restrictions on the type of luggage you can't bring into the Consulate. Like anything resembling roller type suit cases, etc. You can't even bring in a business style briefcase. We ended up using a backpack, a rather large one, think professional back packer type. And we had a filing system for locating stuff within it. ;-)

EDIT: Also I agree with others' comments. I wouldn't volunteer stuff during the interview unless you really think it would do you a lot of good. After all, why open yourself up for more questioning.

Thank you for the input, sounds like when i was in the military, never give them anything unless they ask for it. As far as the new EOR goes, I guess i will just put it in the folder that i have for all of the evidence of our relationship which has the original and certified copy of the deed to the house with her name on it, new life insurance policy with her name, utility bills, and more.. I'll put it on top of that pile, also seems like i need to stream line the letter. With the notary page it is 5 pages long. I read another thread they got a blue slip because the EOR did not include information about what they did when in Guangzhou. Odd Question, but i edited the letter to include what we did when i was with the wife..

Back pack a good idea and all information is in folders, and will be marked as to the contents, I will be sure the wife knows what folders have what so she can quickly give them the docs. I also read here, it is a good idea to keep all originals separate, such as our marriage certificates, police reports, birth certificates. True ?? or put them with the copies in an organized matter ?

lastly, is there any particular order of documents they ask for during the interview?

thanks again

Dan

I'm not certain there is any particular order that is consistent with every case.

If you do research on this site, you're going to come across several organizing methods. There is a four folder approach and a three folder approach. For Jingjing and I we had an 11 folder approach - where we divided all of our documentation into 11 separate categories,

Here's a link showing how we organized.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=536147

Looking at our list, we knew folders 1 and 2 were a given. These were documents we knew they'd want to look at - so we had them on top. For Jingjing and I, domicile was a big issue for us so folder 3, 4, 8, and 9 were important to our case.

My wife and I organized everything a couple of times and I spent a long time going over each document making sure she understood everything. In the end, I think my wife reorganized some stuff on her own, which was fine. She did what she needed to to be able to find anything required with minimal time and effort.

When organizing, I would make sure your wife feels comfortable with how it is done. It wouldn't hurt to go over everything with her a few times just to make sure she understands everything as well.

Our 11 folder approach was simply our method that fit our situation. It isn't the only way, nor is it the best way for every situation.

Look at your case and see where you think you may have the biggest holes. For us, it was domicile. For you, it'll be something different. Whatever it is, I would organize that part well and have it ready to hand in.

I'm not certain there is any particular order that is consistent with every case.

If you do research on this site, you're going to come across several organizing methods. There is a four folder approach and a three folder approach. For Jingjing and I we had an 11 folder approach - where we divided all of our documentation into 11 separate categories,

Here's a link showing how we organized.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=536147

Looking at our list, we knew folders 1 and 2 were a given. These were documents we knew they'd want to look at - so we had them on top. For Jingjing and I, domicile was a big issue for us so folder 3, 4, 8, and 9 were important to our case.

My wife and I organized everything a couple of times and I spent a long time going over each document making sure she understood everything. In the end, I think my wife reorganized some stuff on her own, which was fine. She did what she needed to to be able to find anything required with minimal time and effort.

When organizing, I would make sure your wife feels comfortable with how it is done. It wouldn't hurt to go over everything with her a few times just to make sure she understands everything as well.

Our 11 folder approach was simply our method that fit our situation. It isn't the only way, nor is it the best way for every situation.

Look at your case and see where you think you may have the biggest holes. For us, it was domicile. For you, it'll be something different. Whatever it is, I would organize that part well and have it ready to hand in.

Kyle we did not use your format exactly but it was very well laid out and organized and we used it as the basis for developing the documentation and organizational format that worked for us (one could say a Kyle GUZ Kitchen Sink with my wife's characteristics). I encourage anybody who is putting together their interview documentation to look at the link to Kyle's thread and review it.

I personally think it should pinned into a visa interview section.

I also read here, it is a good idea to keep all originals separate, such as our marriage certificates, police reports, birth certificates. True ?? or put them with the copies in an organized matter ?

lastly, is there any particular order of documents they ask for during the interview?

thanks again

Dan

I am only speaking with a K1 experience mindset, but I believe the notarized docs applies for other visas as well. All the notarized docs (police report, birth certificates, etc.) you had "prepared" by the Chinese Notary, the bounded little booklets with Chinese and English translations are considered originals. We ordered a bunch of each of these from the Chinese Notary and they are all considered originals. So I am not sure what you mean by "copies". As far as organizing them for submission during interview day, we just organized them according to the instructions. If you look at the instruction sheet that came with the last packet, you should find the listing and order. My SO didn't mention any issues with the ordering, but then again, the consulate was a madhouse on our interview day because the consulate decided to switch to using a new consolidated DS form on the fly and people were filling in new forms by the door. So best be prepared for anything to happen, know where everything is and keep a cool head.

With respect to the docs requested during the interview, everyone's case will be different. That's what makes good organization of your whole enchilada all the more important. Get a good mix (quality and breadth) of gunk that will cover your particular situation. Make sure your wife is physically able to safely maneuver around with it. Pick a filing system and get familiar with it. If you are really concerned about it, then perhaps you can hold a mock interview session with your wife, when asking her interview questions, have her practice withdrawing material from that mound.

Good luck Dan.

Kyle we did not use your format exactly but it was very well laid out and organized and we used it as the basis for developing the documentation and organizational format that worked for us (one could say a Kyle GUZ Kitchen Sink with my wife's characteristics). I encourage anybody who is putting together their interview documentation to look at the link to Kyle's thread and review it.

I personally think it should pinned into a visa interview section.

Agreed, Kyle and others before him provided very useful gems.

Pinning some topics would be a good start. But it would be nice if we had a foldering system to file info regarding interview prep. and the actual interview experiences. Anything would sure beat using the search and trolling through tons of threads to find those pearls.