Having a Baby in China

My wife's going to Guangzhou in 2 weeks for her CR1 interview. By then, our baby will be about 10 months old. Our baby was born in China in a Chinese hospital, so he has a birth certificate. We took him to the US Embassy in Beijing to get his US passport and Social Security Card. Our baby does not have Chinese citizenship aka household registration (»§¿Ú).

How do we bring our son out of China? We went to the Entry-Exit Bureau (³öÈë¾³) and they said we just have to fill out an application & wait 2 weeks for our baby's Exit Permit (ͨÐÐÖ¤). Sounded like a smooth and straightforward procedure.

I have also heard horror stories online where a Canadian father & Chinese mother couldn't bring their Canadian baby out of China because the Entry-Exit Bureau denied it. Not sure of the details why. Simply heard it floating around.

Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Correct, you need an Exit permit, also known as an Exit Visa.

This will allow child to leave China, and get past the exit officers in the airport.

Many on candle do, it is discussed often.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29139

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=503357

My wife's going to Guangzhou in 2 weeks for her CR1 interview. By then, our baby will be about 10 months old. Our baby was born in China in a Chinese hospital, so he has a birth certificate. We took him to the US Embassy in Beijing to get his US passport and Social Security Card. Our baby does not have Chinese citizenship aka household registration (»§¿Ú).

How do we bring our son out of China? We went to the Entry-Exit Bureau (³öÈë¾³) and they said we just have to fill out an application & wait 2 weeks for our baby's Exit Permit (ͨÐÐÖ¤). Sounded like a smooth and straightforward procedure.

I have also heard horror stories online where a Canadian father & Chinese mother couldn't bring their Canadian baby out of China because the Entry-Exit Bureau denied it. Not sure of the details why. Simply heard it floating around.

Does anyone have experience with this issue?

It is extremely rare that they will deny you an exit permit, but it can happen. I have only seen it happen when:

1. The Chinese parent is a member of the PLA or a high ranking member of the Party; and / or

2. The child's Chinese parent requests that the child not be granted an exit permit.

Regarding #2, there have been cases where a child's Chinese parent secretly tells the Public Security Bureau that they do not approve of the child losing Chinese nationality, but making the child's expat parent believe that they really do approve.