on our paperwork, jingjing and i used Sept 06th (I think) as our legal date because this is what China recognizes (red book date), Our ceremonies weren't until Oct 21st, which is the day JIngjing and I recognize as our anniversary date. To be honest, I'm not even sure Sept 06th is the correct date on our redbooks. However, for legal stuff we use the date on our red books

I think the US will recognize a marriage valid as long as it is done legally within China - basically by Chinese standards, not US. Many Chinese do not have ceremonies (although most probably do some sort of tradition) - I seem to recall a Nude wedding thread floating around that talks about that.

True; in fact we STILL haven't had our family/friends ceremony (we are having it in April when the weather is better and we figured I could get more people to make it out to China). But we are, without question, legally married (my wife makes sure I know this!).

So when you got married was it like a production line. In Shenyang you had to go through this hotel. How funny I thought. Now you have to understand I really did not think this was the place. :lol: Oh but it was. It is a time I will never forget. I like the one baby thing in the red book. :D The drama never ends.

Ours seemed very tame to the experiences written here (tsap's). We didn't read any oaths - thankfully the place didn't smell like a toilet. I got my single certificate in the US and had it translated there as well. We got the photos made by our apartment. It was all pretty easy.

Getting the actual red books:

We just showed up, paid the fee, gave them our red dyed thumb prints, gave them the pictures and certificate of single status (and jingjing's hukou) waited 5 minutes and that was it. The whole thing took about 10 minutes.