Here is a question for you. We were married on Friday, February 6, 2009 in China. Then we got to pick our red book up on Wednesday, February 11, 2009. Now in America February 6, 2009 we would be considered the day we got married. Now in China would it be the day we pick up the red book. Or on February 6, 2009. :)

Michael

on our paperwork, jingjing and i used Sept 06th (I think) as our legal date because this is what China recognizes (red book date), Our ceremonies weren't until Oct 21st, which is the day JIngjing and I recognize as our anniversary date. To be honest, I'm not even sure Sept 06th is the correct date on our redbooks. However, for legal stuff we use the date on our red books

I think the US will recognize a marriage valid as long as it is done legally within China - basically by Chinese standards, not US. Many Chinese do not have ceremonies (although most probably do some sort of tradition) - I seem to recall a Nude wedding thread floating around that talks about that.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Here is a question for you. We were married on Friday, February 6, 2009 in China. Then we got to pick our red book up on Wednesday, February 11, 2009. Now in America February 6, 2009 we would be considered the day we got married. Now in China would it be the day we pick up the red book. Or on February 6, 2009. :P

Michael

We got our books on the same day. My qizi bribed them with candy!... ;)

What do you mean by saying "married" and then picking up the books? You mean you had a ceremonial wedding first?

Ok, mind you that I didn't go the NVC route - so I may just be floating impossible ideas - but would it be possible to contact your service center and let them know of this? Although I think everything will work out - I hope it doesn't cause any issue. To be honest, I'm certain you're not the first person to do this. :P

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Here is a question for you. We were married on Friday, February 6, 2009 in China. Then we got to pick our red book up on Wednesday, February 11, 2009. Now in America February 6, 2009 we would be considered the day we got married. Now in China would it be the day we pick up the red book. Or on February 6, 2009. :)

Michael

Michael, Look in your redbook. Look at the page with the photo of the both of you. Immediately to the left of the photo, and just under your printed name (in english) will be a date. This is your actual marriage date. Our wedding date is March 5, 2009 but in Chinese style it reads 2009 3 5 with Chinese writing behind each set of numbers.

We went to the Shenyang marriage office twice. The first time to file our info and have some photos made, and then to pick up the redbooks. On the second trip they handed lil' rabbit some dusty plastic flowers to hold and we stood behind a samll podium and read a couple of plastic cards that told us how we should treat each other. :lol: The whole time a lady was taking photos and one of them was pasted into our books.

I too, wasn't really certain which time we got married, but I loved th eexperience and the DATE is under your printed english name. :)

tsap seui

Michael

Michael, Look in your redbook. Look at the page with the photo of the both of you. Immediately to the left of the photo, and just under your printed name (in english) will be a date. This is your actual marriage date. Our wedding date is March 5, 2009 but in Chinese style it reads 2009 3 5 with Chinese writing behind each set of numbers.

We went to the Shenyang marriage office twice. The first time to file our info and have some photos made, and then to pick up the redbooks. On the second trip they handed lil' rabbit some dusty plastic flowers to hold and we stood behind a samll podium and read a couple of plastic cards that told us how we should treat each other. :lol: The whole time a lady was taking photos and one of them was pasted into our books.

I too, wasn't really certain which time we got married, but I loved th eexperience and the DATE is under your printed english name. :)

tsap seui

We also got married in Shenyang. I looked in the red book and ours does say February 11, 2009. We had our reception on Sunday, February 8, 2009. So this was a mystery to me. Thank You for the help. Just want to have correct information before the interview.

:)

Michael

Here is a question for you. We were married on Friday, February 6, 2009 in China. Then we got to pick our red book up on Wednesday, February 11, 2009. Now in America February 6, 2009 we would be considered the day we got married. Now in China would it be the day we pick up the red book. Or on February 6, 2009. :blink:

Michael

We went to the Shenyang marriage office twice. The first time to file our info and have some photos made, and then to pick up the redbooks. On the second trip they handed lil' rabbit some dusty plastic flowers to hold and we stood behind a samll podium and read a couple of plastic cards that told us how we should treat each other. :P The whole time a lady was taking photos and one of them was pasted into our books.

tsap seui

We also got married in Shenyang. I looked in the red book and ours does say February 11, 2009. We had our reception on Sunday, February 8, 2009. So this was a mystery to me. Thank You for the help. Just want to have correct information before the interview.

Michael

The whole thing was a hilarious mystery to me. From walking into the hotel the marriage office was in (on the second floor) to all the women you had to walk back and forth to. The one young gal was asleep in her chair and I thought she was someone's daughter and was waiting for her mom to get off work...WRONG...she was the one you gave your money to.

What fun China is. We still call the hotel with the marriage offices on it's 2nd and 3rd floors... the Ca Ca Hotel because it smelled like an open sewer pit from the lack of traps on the plumbing. Nice hotel, marble floors and counter tops, but just the smell of shit made me not be able to stop laughing. When we first walked in, I stopped and stage whispered to the lil' rabbit, with a huge look of astonishment on my face, "you have P" (fart) ????

She knew exactly what I was talking about, and everytime we looked at each other I would wrinkle my nose at her and we'd both bust out laughing.

Then, on the way out of Shenyang, what do I see??? The "Ture" Love Hotel. :P

I love it all. :D

tsap seui

Here is a question for you. We were married on Friday, February 6, 2009 in China. Then we got to pick our red book up on Wednesday, February 11, 2009. Now in America February 6, 2009 we would be considered the day we got married. Now in China would it be the day we pick up the red book. Or on February 6, 2009. :angry:

Michael

We went to the Shenyang marriage office twice. The first time to file our info and have some photos made, and then to pick up the redbooks. On the second trip they handed lil' rabbit some dusty plastic flowers to hold and we stood behind a samll podium and read a couple of plastic cards that told us how we should treat each other. :angry: The whole time a lady was taking photos and one of them was pasted into our books.

I too, wasn't really certain which time we got married, but I loved th eexperience and the DATE is under your printed english name. :huh:

tsap seui

Michael

The whole thing was a hilarious mystery to me. From walking into the hotel the marriage office was in (on the second floor) to all the women you had to walk back and forth to. The one young gal was asleep in her chair and I thought she was someone's daughter and was waiting for her mom to get off work...WRONG...she was the one you gave your money to.

What fun China is. We still call the hotel with the marriage offices on it's 2nd and 3rd floors... the Ca Ca Hotel because it smelled like an open sewer pit from the lack of traps on the plumbing. Nice hotel, marble floors and counter tops, but just the smell of shit made me not be able to stop laughing. When we first walked in, I stopped and stage whispered to the lil' rabbit, with a huge look of astonishment on my face, "you have P" (fart) ????

She knew exactly what I was talking about, and everytime we looked at each other I would wrinkle my nose at her and we'd both bust out laughing.

Then, on the way out of Shenyang, what do I see??? The "Ture" Love Hotel. :lol:

tsap seui

How right you are. It was almost like a production line. It was really just like you said. They all seem to have some part in the whole thing. We took a friend with us that could speak English and Chinese. So it is a fun city. We sure had a lot of fun. Oh yes before we went to get married. I had to go and get that affidavit of Eligibility to Marry at the Embassy in Shenyang. It was a form that I filled out right there. Paid for it and then went to get married. It was really something. If we are ever there at the same time we will have to get together.

Fired Up

Michael

Here is a question for you. We were married on Friday, February 6, 2009 in China. Then we got to pick our red book up on Wednesday, February 11, 2009. Now in America February 6, 2009 we would be considered the day we got married. Now in China would it be the day we pick up the red book. Or on February 6, 2009. :angry:

Michael

You know I think things like this are common in China. Take for example birthdays. I have one day that is the SAME on my birth certificate, my DL, and verbal discussion with my mother.

My wife, on the other hand, has the actual day she was born on the Western solar calendar (WSC) . Then she has the WSC date that is listed in her birth certificate documenation that we used for her I-130 application. Lastly we have the Chinese Lunar calendar (CLC) date that her family calls her up on and wishes her a happy birthday.

We agreed early on to use her actual WSC date since it was 2 days from my date and we could celebrate together. Ok...good now I only have to remember 1 date. Not so fast Kemosabe!!!!

This year on the other two dates she asked me why I don't give her the birthday treatment she is due. I said because you had your birthday already. She said but yes these days are also my birthday.

I said ok does that mean you are also 3 times older than your stated age? She said NOTHING. I said Ahhh ... not again with the mop slaps ... :angry:

Got to love a chinese woman.

Michael

tsap seui

Michael

tsap seui

How right you are. It was almost like a production line. It was really just like you said. They all seem to have some part in the whole thing. We took a friend with us that could speak English and Chinese. So it is a fun city. We sure had a lot of fun. Oh yes before we went to get married. I had to go and get that affidavit of Eligibility to Marry at the Embassy in Shenyang. It was a form that I filled out right there. Paid for it and then went to get married. It was really something. If we are ever there at the same time we will have to get together.

Fired Up

Michael

Yep, what a production line!! :lol: When we came back from the consulate and went upstairs, I started feeling like I was in a pin-ball machine as we bounced from the one gal who spoke english, then started bouncing around the line to the other ladies, THEN started going to some of the same ladies we had already seen...not to forget the photo lady, I swear we sat in front of a couple of ladies 3 times. The funniest part was when we they pointed us to the gal that was sleeping the whole time. She wakes up, yawns and then takes some money from us...nods back off after she pointed to the next lady for us to sit in front of, then we got sent upstairs for something and came back. There was a pinball wizard pulling the plunger, I swear there was.

I had met anothe American guy and he's asking me..."do you think we got married today?" "Beats me" was the only answer I could give him. :D Turns out we had to come back 2 or 3 days later so they could make up the documents into the red books and give us translations for the future interview...or so we thought. :lol: No, when we went back was when lil' rabbit got the dusty plastic flowers, we read the plastic cards on how we should act to each other as husband and wife, and the photo lady took more photos...THEN we were married. :P

I loved the whole experience, it was a riot!!

I did get into a bit of 'funny trouble" though. When we finally got finished up on the second day, I was standing outside the glass windows burning a weed and enjoying the sights of the beautiful ladies while lil' rabbit signs more forms. There was one in particular extremely DROP DEAD GORGEOUS young (early 20's something) there with her soon to be husband.

Out walks lil' rabbit and this ravishing young lady walks with her, comes right up to me and says in her soft lil' voice...as she turns beat red, and her boy friend looks on from behind the glass...."I want to tell you, you are a very beautuful and pretty man." I looked around to see who she was talking to, even though she was staring right into my eyes...I looked at the lil' rabbit who had a smirk on her face as I thought, maybe she is talking to her, but the girl is still looking at me...al I could do was stammer..."Haba haba haba, thank you", and I touched the bill of my ol' Aussie hat to her, as the lil' rabbit grabbed my hand and pulled me out of there. :lol: I don't think my feet touched a single step on the way down the stairs. :o

What a day...marriage day, Chinese style, never a dull moment. :)

tsap seui

on our paperwork, jingjing and i used Sept 06th (I think) as our legal date because this is what China recognizes (red book date), Our ceremonies weren't until Oct 21st, which is the day JIngjing and I recognize as our anniversary date. To be honest, I'm not even sure Sept 06th is the correct date on our redbooks. However, for legal stuff we use the date on our red books

I think the US will recognize a marriage valid as long as it is done legally within China - basically by Chinese standards, not US. Many Chinese do not have ceremonies (although most probably do some sort of tradition) - I seem to recall a Nude wedding thread floating around that talks about that.

True; in fact we STILL haven't had our family/friends ceremony (we are having it in April when the weather is better and we figured I could get more people to make it out to China). But we are, without question, legally married (my wife makes sure I know this!).

tsap seui

That's funny. We got married in Nanjing, and there were a number of other foreigner/Chinese couples getting married there. One was a fairly old, overweight white guy marrying a middle aged Chinese woman; whose attractive young daughter had also come to see the ceremony. Or so we thought. When they sat down to sign the papers, the young girl sat down and we realized he was marrying HER instead! My wife was mystified.