From West to East - Now from East to West???

I found this a very interesting article about the influences of west to east and east to west. I think it would be neat to see this:

Maybe we¡¯ll see baijiu and green tea served at baseball stadiums along with beer and soda pop. That wouldn¡¯t make the game any less American.

Can you imagine "baijiu" drunks at Yankee stadium??!!??

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2010-...ent_9427313.htm

There has always been a strong current of xenophobia in China and there has, at times, been good reason for this. When I lived in China (97-03), this xenophobia was readily apparent, especially in some of the more conservative areas. My first year was spent in Anhui and it was palatable there. I think it is less so now.

My last four years were down in Guangdong, in Shantou. Less fear of contamination there it seems as the area has a long history of commerce with outside cultures.

I think we already see some of the Chinese influence in our culture with the proliferation of Chinese character tatoos for example. More meaningful examples are found in the great interest in TCM, Qigong, Taiji, and the like. There is now a popular cartoon for young kids featuring a Chinese main character. Show is called "Ni Hao Kai Lan" or something to that effect. Salina watches it every day.

When I lived in Miami back in the 80's and 90's I taught qigong and taiji classes and they were always full with a waiting list. Nowadays, Chinese language classes are becoming increasingly popular.

Yes, I have seen more and more yousters have tatoo in their body that has chinese characters---maybe they take those characters as Japanese language?---Anyway some Chinese and Japanese language use same characters. I have never asked. :)

Yes, the green tea, especially the refrigerated sweet green tee is more and more accepted. The chinese fast-food is wrapped in a box for students to take away in school, very convenient. That is what I have seen from college. I bet what you said would be more and more an ordinary scenery in the future, a2784. :lol:

I found this a very interesting article about the influences of west to east and east to west. I think it would be neat to see this:

Maybe we¡¯ll see baijiu and green tea served at baseball stadiums along with beer and soda pop. That wouldn¡¯t make the game any less American.

Can you imagine "baijiu" drunks at Yankee stadium??!!??

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2010-...ent_9427313.htm

Exactly right. It does surprise many Chinese that Westerners know very little about China. I don't think we'll see very many Americans adopting Chinese cultural traditions in our lifetimes. There are a few Americans who are interested in Eastern culture.

It might surprise Chinese that Westerners know little about China. When I announced my Beijing job to American friends, family and neighbors, they were intensely curious and mostly uninformed about China.

Our media carries little news about China except during unusual circumstances, which typically are times of stress between the two countries. We hear about arguments with China over climate change, Taiwan and Tibet, but that doesn¡¯t tell average Americans anything about average Chinese.

--edit--

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I wouldn't be surprised if some baseball stadiums already had tea in the form of ÕäÖéÄ̲è or bubble milk tea, which comes from China. More and more young kids (including those at my old high school) are able to take Chinese, take trips to China, and are coordinating classes with "sister schools" in China (I believe ours is in Jilin). I believe China is more in the news and more on Americans' minds everyday.

My favorite thing about this article was what she did at the end, putting a positive spin on complaints about western influence or "contamination" of Chinese culture.

Yes, I have seen more and more yousters have tatoo in their body that has chinese characters---maybe they take those characters as Japanese language?---Anyway some Chinese and Japanese language use same characters. I have never asked. :)

When I was leaving China I wanted to get a few presents for my family; for my younger brother I thought a Chinese shirt with a few Chinese characters on it would be cool (knowing that these characters look cool in the West). But it turns out it is really hard to find shirts like that in China. Why? Because in the US Chinese characters are cool, but in China Western letters are cool! (i.e. no kids in China want a shirt with Chinese characters on it)

When I was leaving China I wanted to get a few presents for my family; for my younger brother I thought a Chinese shirt with a few Chinese characters on it would be cool (knowing that these characters look cool in the West). But it turns out it is really hard to find shirts like that in China. Why? Because in the US Chinese characters are cool, but in China Western letters are cool! (i.e. no kids in China want a shirt with Chinese characters on it)

I brought some very cool tshirts from the HKIA for gifts (and not expensive/good quaility) that had HK, China, Beijing, and Shanghai in Chinese characters with no english (4 different shirts).

I wouldn't be surprised if some baseball stadiums already had tea in the form of ÕäÖéÄ̲è or bubble milk tea, which comes from China. More and more young kids (including those at my old high school) are able to take Chinese, take trips to China, and are coordinating classes with "sister schools" in China (I believe ours is in Jilin). I believe China is more in the news and more on Americans' minds everyday.

My favorite thing about this article was what she did at the end, putting a positive spin on complaints about western influence or "contamination" of Chinese culture.

I liked that too.