I-864 Question

Hi, did a quick search and wasn't able to find an answer to my question.

I just got an email from my Father who is filling out an I-864 since he's going to be our joint sponsor. He needed my wife's information so he could fill out the first section.

Question 3 is the mailing address - on the I-130 form we took to Beijing, we entered a mailing address on line 20 of that form. This was entered in Chinese characters, is this the same address I should give my father to put on the I-864 (in Chinese characters) or does it need to be translated into English/Pinyin?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi, did a quick search and wasn't able to find an answer to my question.

I just got an email from my Father who is filling out an I-864 since he's going to be our joint sponsor. He needed my wife's information so he could fill out the first section.

Question 3 is the mailing address - on the I-130 form we took to Beijing, we entered a mailing address on line 20 of that form. This was entered in Chinese characters, is this the same address I should give my father to put on the I-864 (in Chinese characters) or does it need to be translated into English/Pinyin?

Thanks,

Tom

Can use Chinese/Pinyin.

Use pinyin. Also, don't worry about the tone markers. Actually on my I-864, I used a pinyin/english hybrid. for example

Hongde Building Gate 3 Apt. 701 Waimen Street Jiangxian District (this is not our actual address).

Your father will use the same address that you used for number 3 (on his #3)

The address you used (your home address) on your I-130 should be consistently used on all of your paperwork, including the I-864

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Use pinyin. Also, don't worry about the tone markers. Actually on my I-864, I used a pinyin/english hybrid. for example

Hongde Building Gate 3 Apt. 701 Waimen Street Jiangxian District (this is not our actual address).

The address you used on your I-130 should be consistently used on all of your paperwork, including the I-864

Right, the "address" on our I-130 is our home address, however, the mailing address is her work's address. On the I-130 line 20 had a place to write in Chinese, and we entered her work's mailing address there (in Characters) which we were told to do from the Beijing office.

So, I'll have her translate her work's email address and email that off to my Father.

The address you used on your I-130 should be consistently used on all of your paperwork, including the I-864

Right, the "address" on our I-130 is our home address, however, the mailing address is her work's address. On the I-130 line 20 had a place to write in Chinese, and we entered her work's mailing address there (in Characters) which we were told to do from the Beijing office.

So, I'll have her translate her work's email address and email that off to my Father.

You can use home address there too, they will not be mailing anything based on the joint sponsor's I-864.

Note, once you do move to the USA, YOU will need to file an I-865 to report the move.

Dan, I'm guessing since I filed in China and used my Chinese residential/mailing address during our process, I'll have to file a I-865 as well? Thanks for pointing that out.

Dan, I'm guessing since I filed in China and used my Chinese residential/mailing address during our process, I'll have to file a I-865 as well? Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes sir! You will be moving and changing your address.

Your wife is fine, but later after she has green card she will need to file an AR-11 and again you will file I-865 to report change of address.

I think USCIS will handle the sponsor's change of address initially when issuing green-card but may as well file I-865 just to cover this, it costs nothing.

Yeah, I figured it'd be automatic. Your way makes sense though. We'll go ahead and do that. Thanks!

Your wife is fine, but later after she has green card she will need to file an AR-11 and again you will file I-865 to report change of address.

I think USCIS will handle the sponsor's change of address initially when issuing green-card but may as well file I-865 just to cover this, it costs nothing.

Does an I-865 need to be filled every time we move when we arrive in the US? This is the first time I'm hearing about this, so thanks for bringing it up.

Does an I-865 need to be filled every time we move when we arrive in the US? This is the first time I'm hearing about this, so thanks for bringing it up.

YES, as well as AR-11. Also if joint sponsor moves they need to file an I-865.

You are reporting sponsor's change of address with form I-865, and resident alien's change of address using form AR-11, this is required by law.

Filing of I-865 stops only when, (Sponsored alien dies, OR, Sponsored alien leaves USA and gives up green-card, OR sponsored alien works 40 quarters of work, OR Sponsor/Joint sponsor dies, OR Alien naturalizes and becomes a US Citizen.)

Filing AR-11 stops when Alien becomes a US Citizen.

Homeland security wants to know where alien and sponsors are if they need to deport, or collect on the terms of the I-864.