Partial annual residence in China?

Seem to getting terms mixed up here....

Two types of L visa

Single Entry/Multiple Entry - Limited stay (30,60,90 days), could be valid for up to 2 years. Get this at Chinese Consulate in the U.S.

Extended L visa - Issued at PSB Main Offices of the City/Province.

Enter China on your SE/ME L visa and then go to PSB. Apply for a Extended stay L visa. Once you have that, you can stay up to a year at a time whether you come and go or not. At the end of the year, go apply to get another one.

For now, you can stay in China for as long as you want by simply getting a new Extended Stay L visa each year. You can come and go as you please for whatever time you wish to be gone as long as you return before the visa expires.

Exactly. :)

For the one year L visa (extended stay) when you're at the PSB in China you want to tick the box on the form that says "visiting relatives" and specify that you want a one year visa duration.

I've heard of people some places only getting six month "visiting relatives" visas, but I do think that as long as the officer at the PSB understands what you're asking for and you have all of the correct documentation (you need your marriage certificate, hukou book, IDs, your police registration, and your spouse's temporary residence permit if you're not applying in the city where your spouse has his/her hukou), you should be able to get this visa and stay in China without having to leave every 90 days. I've gotten mine in both Kunming and Beijing with zero problems.

What is the hukou? Thanks for the info!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rob,

The hukou is your wife's family registration book. It keeps a record of who belongs to the family, what their "class" is (like, worker, peasant, etc.), marital status, and where the family is legally permitted to live and enjoy privileges like public school or healthcare, if available. It isn't something that has an equivalent in the West. Your wife will know what it is though, it is a very important document in China!

Or, there's always google, as Kyle says. :)

Edited by thelocaldialect (see edit history)

Hi Rob,

The hukou is your wife's family registration book. It keeps a record of who belongs to the family, what their "class" is (like, worker, peasant, etc.), marital status, and where the family is legally permitted to live and enjoy privileges like public school or healthcare, if available. It isn't something that has an equivalent in the West. Your wife will know what it is though, it is a very important document in China!

Or, there's always google, as Kyle says. ;)

Always learning...Thankyou

What is the hukou? Thanks for the info!

City/Province of residence this is where ID card indicates residence is. "Home Town" This is indicated in "Household Book"