Hi Clifford,

Well the problem is that buying more space would be a recurrent cost. Thought about self-hosting on a box, but I suspect that performance would be really bad.

I've been really busy these days. Started coding a data management tool, but never finished. Haven't had the time to work on Candle that I would like.

My life is still in rapid state of change. After 4 years at the same company, I am starting a brand-new job tomorrow. :o Hoping my old skills hold up in today's competitive marketplace. :P We shall see ...

I'm both excited and nervous. It's a very welcome change, but at the same time a bit intimidating.

P.J.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Clifford,

Well the problem is that buying more space would be a recurrent cost. Thought about self-hosting on a box, but I suspect that performance would be really bad.

P.J.

Good Luck with the new job.

You might get reasonable performance out of a local setup, although you would have to keep it up 24/7.

What is the average size of a page on the Candle? A couple hundred K? Maybe a bit better if you could limit the sizes of the avatars to less than 10K.

I remeber in college we ran our web server on a NeXT Cube. It was a pretty cool machine, and did just fine spitting out the web pages (over a 10 MBit LAN). I assume you would get reasonable upload performance over a Cable Connection.

You would run into problems if you start allowing people to upload more graphics.

Anyway, keep in mind. If you need help with the cost of the system, all you have to do is ask. I am sure you could get quite a few people to chip in $5 (or more) on a voluntary basis.

I might be able to help with some of the code too, but I must admit that I am getting a bit rusty.

----- Clifford ------

Clifford,

New job is going very well. Had my first day today. People were nice, and I'll be working with some good technologies.

Actually Candle's running off donations from last year still. Think we've about burnt through it, I have a spreadsheet someplace. One of these days I'll have to take a look. I still think we'd be better off with dedicated hosting, though, for performance reasons. Also, they have a responsibility to maintain the servers up and running, whereas if I hosted on my PC and it crashed during work hours I definitely wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Getting rusty? Do you currently work in software or IT? Just curious.

P.J.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest robrexx

Hi PJ...

I will volunteer.....I havn't read all your needs yet...but I do have at least two hours a night to assist.

Please read my recent post labeled "HELP !".

If anyone can help me get started....i will certainly be grateful

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks! Sadly enough, I never finished the code tools one would need to piece together a FAQ. It's on my to-do list. Once I figure out what we need to do, we should piece something coherent together, in the meantime this is a stop-gap fix, a pinned thread. That's when we could really start to do something.

Welcome to Candle! There are many wonderful people here who would be more than happy to assist you.

I am going the K1 route so unfortunately I wouldn't be much assistance on the K3. However, I know that we do have quite a few K3-ers.

P.J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More Reference Materials:

Immigration and Nationality Act:

http://www.theodora.com/ina_96.html

http://www.theodora.com/ina_96_title_2.html

English Plus Resolutions (generally state level).

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/J...ORD/engplus.htm

Executive Order 13166

Improving Access to services for persons with limited English Proficiency.

http://www.englishfirst.org/13166/eo13166.html

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/cor/lep/dojimp.htm

http://www.englishfirst.org/13166/13166dotlepguide.htm

Drivers License Reciprocity (Texas) Thanks to Se Lang.

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readta...t=1&ch=15&rl=91

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

P3 FAQ

Edit Notes:

(Edit start 1 November 2004)

(Latest edited changes 29 March 2005)

(Add edit date next to question list, meaning the date someone last checked, verified or made changes due to new information on it to keep it current)

(Try to list questions and answers in the same time order as the likelihood of the question being asked in relation to the other questions.)

(Answers are either one consolidated answer or a number of "as experienced" answers.)

(Questions and answers from year 2004, 2005)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

These are compilations and consolidations from other peoples questions and answers posted on the Candleforlove.com web page and other pages. You should read this FAQ with that in mind, because things change faster than this FAQ. If the question or answer is familiar to you, thank you for your contribution which has been edited into this FAQ. These questions and answers are only related to the visa process for those petitions going through the US Consulate in Guangzhou. If you find something that does not seem correct, please email or post about it, that way this FAQ can be updated. Remember these questions and answers are based on other peoples opinions or experiences only.

=====================================================================

P3 Frequently Asked Questions.

--------------------------------------------

Section One: General Questions.

Q.1.1 What is a FAQ

Q.1.2 What is a P3?

Q.1.3 At what stage of the visa process does the P3 occur.

Q.1.4 Who sends the P3?

Q.1.5 What are the documents contained in a P3?

Q.1.6 Where can I find sample P3 forms?

Q.1.7 Can we send sample or downloaded P3 forms?

Q.1.8 How long until we receive the P3 from the Consulate?

Q.1.9 When should I send the forms back?

Q.1.10 Which forms do we send back after receiving the P3?

Q.1.11 Should I send all the forms, or some forms now and others later?

Q.1.12 Is my P3 lost?

Q.1.13 How do I find out the status of P3?

Q.1.14 Can I check my status on line? I have the case number.

Q.1.15 Name Check? Again?

Q.1.16 What's next after the P3?

Q.1.17 How long after we return the P3 until we receive the P4?

Q.1.18 How long after we return the P3 until the Interview?

Q.1.19 Which forms, English or Chinese?

Q.1.20 Which signature English or Chinese?

Q.1.21 Chinese Telegraph Code?

Q.1.22 Fees?

Q.1.23 Best way to send P3 forms back?

Q.1.24 Should we send back both versions of the forms, English and Chinese?

===================================================================

Section two: P3 questions related to K1 applications.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.2.1 Police Certificate?

Q.2.2 Police Certificate from other countries?

Q.2.3 Birth Certificate?

Q.2.4 No Birth Certificate?

Q.2.5 Single Certificate?

Q.2.6 Do I need to fill out the I-134 for the P3?

Q.2.7 Miscellaneous form questions.

==================================================================

Section Three: P3 questions related to K3 applications.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.3.1 I-130 and the AOS

Q.3.2 I-864?

Q.3.3 CR-1

Q.3.4 CR-2

The Answers.

Section One: General Questions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(28 November 2004)

Q.1.1 What is a FAQ?

A.1.1.1

FAQ is an acronym for Frequently Asked Questions.

A.1.1.2

When there is a FAQ available on a web site or forum, it is there to help people who are new to the subject get a basic level of understanding by answering the questions that are frequently asked. It is considered common courtesy in the on line world to read the FAQ before posting your question as it may already have the answer you need, or it might help you to formulate your questions so that someone else can more easily help you when you ask them.

A.1.1.3

There are lots of acronyms and abbreviations used on the forum. Please read the FAQ for the definitions of the commonly used ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 3 January 2005)

Q.1.2 What is a P3?

A.1.2.1

Abbreviation for "Packet 3"

A.1.2.2

After the petition for your Fiancé/Fiancee/Wife/Husband has left the NVC (National Visa Center) and reached the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, these are the next set of instructions and documents that the Consulate will send that will need to be followed, filled out and returned, towards the next step of receiving the P4 and Interview. If your P3 documents come from somewhere else, the rest of this FAQ may be helpful, but instructions and forms might be different based on the visa type, consulate and country.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 9 January 2005)

Q.1.3 At what stage of the visa process does the P3 occur.

A.1.3.1

After the NOA2 (The second Notice of Action in the visa process).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 4 December 2004)

Q.1.4 Who sends the P3?

A.1.4.1

The U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou.

A.1.4.2

NVC?? (Find this one out- verify)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 3 January 2005)

Q.1.5 What are the documents contained in a P3?

A.1.5.1

Read the Guanzhou Consulate FAQ page around the twelfth question (For K1 Visa):

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...u/iv/kvfaq.html

A.1.5.2

Here is a list of documents based on CFL members:

Instruction letter in English

Instruction letter in Chinese

Instruction supplemental information sheet

Application for immigrant visa and alien registration (DS-230 part I)

Instructions for immigrant visa applicants (OF-169)

Notice to all non-immigrant visa applicants (list of CITIC Bank) in English

Notice to all non-immigrant visa applicants (list of CITIC Bank) in Chinese

Evidence which may be presented to meet the public charge provisions of the law (OF-167)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 3 December 2004)

Q.1.6 Where can I find sample P3 forms?

A.1.6.1

You can find sample forms here: http://home.comcast.net/~donahso/index.htm

(Edited 10 January 2005)

Q.1.7 Can we send sample or downloaded P3 forms?

A.1.7.1

Probably in a pinch, but copy your forms immediately after receiving them so you have ones to practice or replace with.

A.1.7.2

Doing a CR-1 visa through a I-130 that is being processed at the NVC not Guangzhou. I got an email from Guangzhou saying to use copies or download forms from the Internet when I was doing my P-3.

(Edited 5 January 2005)

Q.1.8 How long until we receive the P3 from the Consulate?

A.1.8.1.

Currently the average wait time is 30 to 60 days after the NOA2 (Second Notice of Action) leaves the NVC (National Visa Center). It usually arrives via EMS (Express Mail Service) from the Guangzhou Consulate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 5 January 2005)

Q.1.9 When should I send the forms back?

A.1.9.1

ASAP (As Soon As Possible)

A.1.9.2

What is important now is to get the P-3 forms filled out and sent back in ASAP. She will have plenty of time to gather up the needed documents. An example I like to use is a friends wife and my wife received their P-3s the same day. His wife sent hers back 5 days before my wife and they got a March 8th interview date. Ours was April 13th. There are X amount of interview slots in a given month. Once they are filled your petition will be scheduled for the following month.

A.1.9.3

It seems that most people sign and send the forms back, ASAP.

However, in our case we did not do this. We took the extra 2 days that was needed to obtain all of the paperwork (that was it for us), and then sent the forms back.

The reason why: we do not want to give any excuse for red flags or other reasons to issue anything other than a white slip.

Clearly, this is not an issue for most people. However, it seems there have been some pretty dubious non-white slips issued, and based on what people have said, were still questionable (although in others, it could have occurred based on what was said). I believe that this is a possible red flag for some VO's (Visa Officer), especially as security concerns continue to tighten. However, it is your call. We decided to follow it to the letter...

For us, it was only 2 days to get all of the documents, but that is because she lives in her hukou, (See China Terms FAQ) and we knew about such issues before hand, she has never been married before, etc. Take it all in stride, and do what you feel is best.

A.1.9.4

You should get the required forms and paperwork into GZ as soon as possible. Delaying it a day or more could mean the difference of a month while waiting for GZ to start on the next batch of cases for interviews. They base the interview schedule on the date they receive the P3 and register it in their computer. Note I said "register it in their computer". In most cases they won't register the P3 into the computer for 7 to 10 days after they receive it.

(Edited 5 January 2005)

Q.1.10 Which forms do we send back after receiving the P3?

A.1.10.1

When your fiancee gets the P3 packet in the mail she must return 3 forms:

DS-230

OF-169

P3 Supplemental Sheet

You should have your fiancee return these as soon as possible. You will have plenty of time afterwards to collect all the information they tell you to get for the interview. It helps if you practice filling these forms out ahead of time. (See sample forms question in P3 FAQ).

A.1.10.2

Packet 3 Supplemental Information Sheet

(questions 1 thru 6 answered)

DS-230 PART I

(questions 1 thru 25 answered)

OF-169 Optional Form

(page 3 signed and completed)

Your (optional term of endearment) will present all that other stuff during their interview.

A.1.10.3

The only forms to send back are the OF-169, Checked off and Signed and the DS-230 part one. Everything else is collected and taken to the interview.

A.1.10.4

You need to send in DS230 part 1 which is 2 pages.

OF169 is also 2 pages and the packet 3 supplemental is a single page, total of 5 pages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 5 January 2005)

Q.1.11 Should I send all the forms, or some forms now and others later?

A.1.11.1

See Q.1.9 in this FAQ.

A.1.12.2

Most people recommend to either send them all ASAP, or to get your papers together ASAP, then send them. No one has recommended to send some now, then others later.

(Edited 5 January 2005)

Q.1.12 Is my P3 lost?

My SO (Significant Other) sent the P-3 on 12-7 and has a return receipt from the mailing facility she used that said someone received the package in Guangzhou by 12-9. I enquired to see if they have gotten it and here is their reply:

"We have not received Ms. XXX XXX GUZXXXXXXXXXX in our system, maybe we have received her forms, but due to the high volume of applications and the Christmas holiday, it takes time to process applicant's forms. We will process her forms and let her case enter a line of scheduling interview."

Anyone have any insight as to the meaning of this message? I was happy they replied within a day but I am thinking this is bad news. They should have the P-3 by now.

A.1.12.1

If history is any indication, it took the GZ (Guangzhou Consulate) almost a month to enter our P3 information into the system after they had received the packet. I wouldn't be too worried, but I probably would drop them an e-mail once a week or so to inquire as to the status. The responses I got from my inquiries were along the same lines but without reference to the Christmas holidays.

A.1.12.2

I'm a someone who sent their P3 back after you did. I called the DOS (Department of State) to find out if my P3 was entered. I figured that since the DOS computers are linked to GZ's I could find out if the P3 was entered that way.

Funny for me was that I called the DOS in the afternoon on the same day the P3 was entered. The person of the phone told me that the P3 was entered but no interview was scheduled yet. She must not have a clue how long GZ takes.

Give a call to the DOS, maybe they can give you some information.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 5 January 2005)

Q.1.13 How do I find out the status of P3?

A.1.13.1

Call 1-202-663-1225 That is DOS's (Department of State) phone number.

If Guangzhou sent you the response that it will be a few months before you are scheduled for an interview, then it is assumed that you have made it past the second name check and in the waiting queue. If Guangzhou sent you an email saying that they are in the pre-interview process then you are not in the queue for waiting yet.

A.1.13.2

I found the best time to call DOS is when they open the phone lines. It usually takes 5 to 15 minutes if you call at 0830 EST.

I've called them so many times over the last four months. It seems that only females work there, or at least in the mornings. I was told that they all don't have the same clearance when they log into their work stations. Some are authorized to view more when they pull up your case on their computer. One women I spoke to in September gave me the date the final name check was cleared in the computer. A few days later when I called back, the woman that I spoke to couldn't give me any dates or much less tell me if the name checks were done, and was confused as to how anyone in that office could have given me that information. Later in November, I spoke to another woman who explained that most of the people in their office only have limited clearance, enough to see if your case has been logged into GUZ, but not much else unless GUZ puts a notification that the can see. She said sometimes GUZ puts markers on the file that indicate to the people in that DOS office that they name check was completed, but it won't show a date. She told me that there are some, but very few, who have clearance to actually see dates and progress. She also told me that all the email's anyone sends to GUZ are listed on the computer file that the DOS office can see also, as well as all the inquiries submitted by Congress persons, Representatives, and Senators.

The others above were right, just keep calling until you find a person who can give you more information. But I wouldn't keep calling the same day, because it's been my experience that they only have a few people answering phones at any given time. I swear one day they only had three people answering phones from 0830-1000 EST. I was upset by one of them, and I kept calling back trying to get someone else to help me. I kept getting the same three women, so I gave up and called the next day.

(Edited 9 January 2005)

Q.1.14 Can I check my status on line? I have the case number.

A.1.14.1

No, you can't check anything online. But you can use the GUZ case number to email GZ and ask about your case status. Go to the Guangzhou consulate contact web page to send email. http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...iv/contact.html

You can get your GUZ number by calling DOS 1-202-663-1225, press 0, then 1 Give them your SO's name, Birth date and NOA2 number

(Edited 9 January 2005)

Q.1.15 Name Check? Again?

How many name checks are there and does that happen after we send P3 back? If you get "stuck" in the name check, how do you know that is what happened?

A.1.15.1

I think there's just one name check after they receive it. When I emailed them to see if they received the packet, they replied that they did and were conducting "pre-interview clearances". A month later, they said they were waiting for an available appointment.

(Edited 29 March 2005)

Q.1.16 What's next after the P3?

A.1.16.1

Waiting for the P4.

Then the Interview. (Usually one to two months after receiving the P4).

(Edited 29 March 2005)

Q.1.17 How long after we return the P3 until we receive the P4?

A.1.17.1

You should read the P4 FAQ for this, but currently the average wait time is 5 to 6 months from the date your P3 arrives at Guangzhou Consulate to receive the P4. Interview dates are currently 5 months plus or minus a week or three from the date of the P3 computer entryl at Guangzhou Consulate. (Based on CFL member time lines from P3 returns dated October, November, December 2004)

(Edited 29 March 2005)

Q.1.18 How long after we return the P3 until the Interview?

A.1.18.1

Interview dates are currently 5 months plus or minus a week or three from the date of the P3 computer entry at Guangzhou Consulate. (Based on Candleforlove.com member time lines from P3 returns dated October, November, December 2004)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 27 December 2004)

Q.1.19 Which forms, English or Chinese?

1) How should my SO sign here name? In Chinese or pinyin? Also, in what order family name-given name or given name-family name??? I am leaning towards telling here to just keep is simple: only sign in pinyin, and in given-family order, since the is the "official"-"English" form as known by the USCIS.... and even to sign this way on all the Chinese forms too.

2) Does she need to write in Chinese on the Chinese forms?

3) Does she need to return both the Chinese version and the English version of the forms?

4) How should she write the date? Month/Day/Year???

A.1.19.1

Signed his name in both, just to make sure. In some places it exclusively requests Chinese.

2&3. She only needs to fill out the English one, but you can do both again to make sure if you want. That's what my SO wanted to do. On the Chinese one, I think you can write in Chinese as long as the other one is in English.

4. For the date you can write like this: August 3rd, 2005 just in case.

(Edited 27 December 2004)

Q.1.20 Which signature English or Chinese?

A.1.20.1

Both.

(Edited 9 February 2005)

Q.1.21 Chinese Telegraph Code?

A.1.21.1

For each Chinese word, there is a standard (4 digits) Chinese telegraphic code. Tell your fiancee go to the following web-site http://www.6532.net/Sampleform/dianbao.htm

enter her name one word at a time in Chinese, then it gives you the Chinese telegraphic code.

A.1.21.2

My fiancee obtained this information from a local notary that does translations. They were familiar with the requirements for P3 from Gz. I was also informed that this can be obtained from the local post office.

A.1.21.3

Local post office has this information. They use this code to sort mail.

A.1.21.4

Have your fiance go to the site listed above and put in her name (each character in Pinying) one at a time. Then hit button to the lower right to give you a number. 3 or 4 digits.

I agree its not really used anymore since the age of fax, email, etc.. but I did what they said to avoid any missing information. We did it together in about 20 minutes of research on internet.

You must have ability to do Chinese Characters on the computer you are using. Which is fairly easy since I am China.

What is it??

There are 1000s of Chinese characters used in Mandarin. Most people only use about 3 to 5 thousand. This was a way to get exactly the character you meant by way of a numbered system. Almost like a binary number.

A.1.21.5

If that doesn't work here's another link for the codes:

http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~reedsj/ctc.pdf

(Edited 11 January 2005)

Q.1.22.1 Fees?

On the embassy web site titled "K1 Visa Processing In Guangzhou", they state that the P3 includes " a list of specified branches of the CITIC Industrial Bank where applicants can pay for the RMB830.00 processing fee prior to the interview." My SO received her P3, but only mentioned the two forms (DS-230 & OF-169).

Do we need to make a payment before we can receive the P4? Any info would be very helpful.

A.122.1

Make the payment before the medical exam in GZ.

You will get the P4 before paying the fee.

A.1.22.2

After P4 arrives, then you'll know when her interview will be in GZ. Once your SO is in GZ ...

> Pay fee at specified bank

> KEEP RECEIPT

> Give receipt to medical person at medical exam

> Medical person seals receipt in with medical results

> Medical results (and receipt) are given to Feds at interview

TIP: schedule the medical exam at least 5 days before interview to avoid catastrophic delays

A.1.22.3

There is no fee to be paid with the two forms you received. When you get the P-4 you will have to pay a fee for the medical. I believe the Medical fee does not include the visa fee of 830 rmb. These are two separate fee's you will have to pay.

Be sure you bring the receipt for the visa fee to the interview. This is one of the first things they will ask you for!! Simply put, No receipt No VISA!!!

(Edited 11 January 2005)

Q.1.23 Best way to send P3 forms back?

A.1.23.1

We sent ours EMS and she gave me the tracking number. There is site for tracking China EMS shipments:

www.ems.com.cn/ems/English/jianjie.jsp

(Edited 11 January 2005)

Q.1.24 Should we send back both versions of the forms, English and Chinese?

A.1.24.1

I think we ended up just sending back the English versions.

A.1.24.2

You mean checklist and info form? We did both just to be sure - it'll only take an extra minute or two.

A.1.24.3

My fiancee did both English and Chinese.

Section two: P3 questions related to K1 applications.

Q.2.1 Police Certificate?

Q.2.3 Birth Certificate?

Q.2.6 I-134?

Q.2.7 Cover Letter

Q.2.8 P3 Supplement

Q.2.9 PKT 3 Chinese

Q.2.10 Chinese Fee

Q.2.11 Payment at Bank

Q.2.12 OF-167

Q.2.13 OF-169

Q.2.14 DS-230

(Edited 30 January 2005)

Q.2.1. Police Certificate?

Opinions fall into two groups on this subject. One group (usually the American) feels that you need to try hard to get a certificate from every place lived as stated in the instructions. The other group (usually the Chinese) feels that one certificate from the Hukou stating no criminal record in China fulfills this requirement. Both ways have been used and visas granted. The following are examples of these two answers.

A.2.1.1

How long does it take to obtain the Police Certificate? My Sweetheart has lived in the same city (Kunming) her entire life.

Our police report (translated) took a week. If you don't get it translated I think it's faster but you might as well because you'll need it later anyway.

A.2.1.2

It isn't really police records you want, it is the lack of them. My wife went to the local police station and got a statement saying she did not have a police record. Kinda simple--they look it up and find nothing and give you a certificate to verify. My guess is it will be the same for multiple cities. (everyplace she has lived for more than 6 months since 16 years old)

A.2.1.3

There is only one police department where she is registered as a resident (Hukou) that will provide a report. Make sure it says that it applies to all of China.

A.2.1.4

Consulate seems to imply that they will need a police cert from each place she has lived, if she had/has lived there for more than 6 months. She has lived in 3 places for more than 6 months: her hometown, her college city, and her work city.

Does this mean that she will need to contact the police authorities in each of these places? For a total of 3 police certs?

Someone may clarify later, but from my understanding if she has lived in China only, and has lived at her current residence for at least 6 months, than the records from there are "nationwide" and will be acceptable.

A.2.1.5

. When one moves to a new city in China, one is *supposed* to register and get a temporary residence permit in that city (Yes, I am talking about Chinese citizens ) Most people do not do this, however, so many cities of residence wouldn't even have a record of that person. I think it is safe to just get police certs from the cities where people have registered. College students do not register because they reside on campus, therefore your lady does not need to get a police cert from her college town. If she has registered in her "work town" then perhaps she should get a police cert, otherwise she will be safe with the one from her home town.

Just some extra advice. You might want to actually wait to get all those documents such as police report until you receive packet 4. You just need to take that stuff to the interview, you don't need to send it in. Some documents expire and might be no good by the time you get to the interview.

We didn't know this and have already paid over 1,000 RMB for our stuff. I'm worried that when we get our interview date, they might be expired and we might have to pay all that money again.

All the documents you can get at the local government office (not sure the name) for your city: police certificate, certificate saying she hasn't been married, and birth certificate. You can also get everything translated there into English, with a second copy for only 20 RMB.

A.2.1.6

Hukou?

It is the location where a person's ID card officially has them registered. Further, it provides a whole host of legal benefits and privileges.

For example, if your hukou is in the city where my precious is, then you can use the hospital there, free of charge. However, if you happen to live in one of the many villages surrounding the city (although only 5,000,000 ppl live in the city and of these only about 3,000,000 have a registered hukou there and about 10,000,000 live in the greater area) then you have to pay to use the hospital.

Additionally, in the city that she lives in, if her hukou is registered in the city, it acts like renter's protection. No one can legally charge her rent on the place that she lives in , nor can the owner of the house, even if it has changed since her hukou was added to the house, force the occupant to move out from her house.

Finally, if one is really lucky to have their hukou be in one of 18 cities (listed in another post I put up recently) then they can travel to Hong Kong and Macao for up to 7 days without needing to be on a tour group or doing business (unfortunately, her city does not qualify for this gift).

My understanding is that everyone in china is given a hukou, in the home that they were born in. It can be easy in some cases to change one's hukou, and tough in others. In my darling's city, to get a hukou in the city, you need to have the owner of the house, and everyone who currently has a hukou registered in the house agree to add your name. That is how she did it, her grandmom, 6 months before passing away (**SIGH**) added her name with her own, since she agreed to care for her grandmother and others were too busy to help the grandmother. That has helped her to be able to legally work in any profession in the city and get much better access to medical services. This is a relatively tough city, as many people can just rent, and never actually get the benefits of living in the city. In some cities, particularly Beijing and Shanghai, it is even more difficult to get a hukou transferred, and often times will include either a large amount of money, or of owning a property and living in it full time for a sustained period of time.

It is the town with the hukou that will likely possess all of the police records, if it is a large city. If not, you may have to travel to all towns that the hukou was ever provided by. It will list on his/her ID card which city at least was the hukou when the ID card was obtained.

A.2.1.7

My fiancee and I are having a disagreement on the police certificate. She grew up in one place, went to college in another city, and now lives in a third place. My reading of the instructions seems clear to me.. she needs three police certificates. She says she needs only two. She says it is too impossible to get the police certificate from the town where she went to college because her ID card issues in China. I really don't understand this. I think it should be possible for her to go to each city where she lived since age 16 and get the police department of each town to give her the police certificate. Does anyone know if this is the case?

A.2.1.8

My fiancee was in the same situation. She did end up getting all three certificates that she needed. For her university city, she first went to the university offices and got some kind of record from them. I believe it stated what years she attended, and that she had not had any disciplinary problems. She took this to the city police office, where they issued the police certificate. She explained at each office how far she had traveled to obtain these documents, and she told me that everyone was very accommodating, and she had everything done very quickly9

A.2.1.9

I've thought about this, and this is by no means an informed opinion, but it seems to be certificate from wherever they have hukou since 16 should be enough - my thought is if you get into trouble, police in your hukou place will certainly know about it! I would gather based on how things work here that after inputting info from ID it would go back to residency place...

A.2.1.10

My fiancee went to the Chinese government notary public in Nanning yesterday and talked to them about this because somehow the government notary public is involved in obtaining the police certificates. They of course told her she has to go back to her hometown where she has her "hukou". And they told her she can only have one police certificate, not three. But they told her that the one police certificate will have reference to all three places she has lived. I'm not so sure I believe that. But what can you do? I don't worry about the "hukou" system in China. I worry about the Consulate in Guangzhou. Because I don't know if they will really be as understanding about the "hukou" system in China and is limitations as much as my fiancee believes they will be. If they were then they would change their instructions in P3 about the police certificates to read, "only one police certificate is required" instead of the "submit a police certificate from the police authorities of each locality..... where the applicant has resided for at least 6 months since attaining the age of 16".

A.2.1.11

My fiancee, who often helped translate letters for girls into English for a Web site in China, has told me most girls she knew had only one police certificate and they got their visas even though they lived in more than one place since age 16. She does not know of a case of any girl who was able to obtain more than one certificate. She says it is quite impossible to obtain a police certificate from a place that is not where your "hukou" is located. And the government notary public has told her she needs only one for the US Consulate. Still, I feel uneasy about all of this

A.2.1.12

The best place to start is her local District Notary Public offices, eventually all her certificates need to be notarized there. Let her call the office or arrange an appointment with them for all the questions; they know all the procedures and requirements for how to obtain those documents.

A.2.1.13

Policies for each police department will be slightly different, some of them require the paper work from employer, some don't, so others experience might not work for you. If she indeed needs the paper work from her employer, you might want to wait for a while till she is about to get her P4, because you don't need all those certificates before the interview. Police records might get expired in 6 to 12 month anyway. It only takes about couple of weeks to get all those certificates done.

A.2.1.14

There's no need to hurry on getting the police, birth and passport. There is plenty of time between P-2 (NOA2) and P-3; or, even after P-3.

A.2.1.15

I also agree that 001 would be the best place for her to ask. No doubt someone there has directly related experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 1 February 2005)

A.2.2.1

USA?

No, none is available and therefore not required. All of the name checks and background checks take care of the US part.

A.2.2.2

Other countries? Start looking here:

http://www.kamya.com/misc/polcert.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 20 January 2005)

Q.2.3 Birth Certificate?

A.2.3.1

The people at the marriage office should be able to tell your fiancee in detail what she needs to do to get it. We went to a notary office to get copies of our marriage certificate translated into English and notarized. while we were there we had them make her a new Birth certificate too. Your fiancee will need to have some pictures taken at the photo studio before she gets there. My wife took her photos looking straight forward. She will also need to bring her household registration card for ID. It took the office about 3 or 4 days to complete all the paperwork.

A.2.3.2

Your fiancee will go back to the hospital in which she was born to get a birth certificate, then get this certificate to be notarial.

A.2.3.3

You should be able to get a birth certificate through a local government office. My fiance was unable to get her original certificate because as is the case in many places throughout China, the records were lost by fire. They have ways of recreating these records. She went to a local office in Nanning, then took those records to the notary office, had them translated and placed into a book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 12 January 2005)

A.2.4.1

You need to have your S.O. get a Notarized Chinese Birth Certificate. My S.O. also did not have an official Birth Certificate, since they did not issue these when she was born. So, I found that she needed the Notarized Birth Certificate.

Here is some more info I found on a web site awhile back when I searched for more info on this type of document:

Birth certificates are available in the form of notarial certificates ( Chu Cheng Gong Zheng Shu or Shu Sheng Zheng Ming Shu ) which can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices ( Gong Zheng Chu ) which are located in all large Chinese cities and in rural county seats. Individuals living outside of China may obtain notarial certificates from the notarial office with jurisdiction over the county of previous residence. Chinese relatives or friends may request issuance of certificates on behalf of someone now living abroad. Relatives and friends should have specific written authorization from the interested party before they request certificates. Alternatively, persons in need of notarial documents may contact the PRC Embassy or Consulate nearest to their residence and ask that the request be forwarded to the appropriate notarial office. Obtaining a notarial certificates through a PRC Embassy of Consulate can require considerable time, however.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 1 February 2005)

A.2.5.1

The Chinese fiancee can get this quite easily at the local public records office. The Notary does the translation of it, certifying that she, or he, is single.

(Edited 6 January 2005)

Q.2.6 Do I need to fill out the I-134 for the P3?

A.2.6.1

The I-134 does not get returned with the P3 documents. However, you should start getting this document prepared. Please see the P4 FAQ or the Interview FAQ.

A.2.6.2

The Affidavit of Support (I-134) will need to be completed and brought to the interview with her. Also note: from what the DOS told me, do not complete the I-134 (and supporting documents) until she receives her P4 invitation for interview.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 1 February 2005) This section needs more work.

Q.2.7 Miscellaneous form questions.

These questions are on her P3 form:

Do you need to work in the United States?

In what occupation do you intend to work in the United States?

I think she should answer yes, and list Licensed Massage Therapist.

Her English teacher who is helping her read the form and fill it out thinks an answer of no would be good.

Any one have any thoughts or experience on this?

A.2.7.1

that's one of those questions that has no wrong answer. The form is used for multiple types of visa and it does matter for work types and student types. For fiancee and spouse visas, any answer is a good one. I would follow the good advice so far and put down an 'honest' answer. If the VO should ask about it, she will know the answer even though it doesn't matter what that is.

Section Three: P3 questions related to K3 applications. This needs more work as well.

Q.3.1 I-130 and the AOS

Q.3.2 I-864?

Q.3.3 CR-1?

Q.3.4 CR-2?

(Edited 1 January 2005)

Q.3.1 I-130 and the AOS

My wife has already received her P3 via the K3. Today, I received a letter requesting $65 from NVC or they won't further my I-130 application. However, my k3 was already sent to the Guangzhou Consulate and my wife has received her P3.

A.3.1.1

From your time line, it looks like your wife will get her K-3 interview before the I-130 gets to GZ - if you pursue the I-130 route. If getting her here faster and you're willing to do AOS on the K-3 rather than returning to GZ for the I-130 interview, notify NVC that is what you plan to do.

If getting her green card quicker is really a priority, then continue with the I-130 and plan on another interview in GZ. When she returns to the US, she will get her green card in a few weeks.

The other factor in all of this is where you would file AOS on the K-3. If it's Atlanta, figure on a couple of years to green card. If it's Portland, Oregon, figure 3 ~ 4 months.

Not sure all of that makes sense. By all means, get the K-3 and get her here quickly. The decision is whether to pursue the I-130 as well. Unless you really plan on her going back for the I-130 interview, save your money. The only reason for you to keep it going is to, perhaps, get her green card faster.

There's no *right* answer.

(Edited 1 January 2005)

Q.3.2 I-864?

I realize I recently posted a question on what I ought to do in regards to notarization, but my wife and I were talking and we quite confused as to whether we need to send the I-864 with the other required documents for the P3.

I am certain I do need to give the I-864 to the embassy at some point during the application process but the P3 packet was unclear, and the checklist we were given seemed to think we only had to return the I-230 and a few attachment sheets. It would be a wonderful relief to know that I won't have to send that to Guangzhou until later, but this is a question that seems to very unclear, and I can't risk sending and I can't risk not sending right now. (Again need help with parents and other things)

So to send or not to send, that is the question

A.3.2.1

Yeah the I-864 came with the O-230 in the P3 packet. I won't have to pay any fees until we go for the interview later next year (or almost this year!) which is be about 3000 yuan or about $380 dollars.

See, that's the thing, I am not paying any fees until I go to Guangzhou for the interview. I live in China and have to take the train to pay any fees. (it does give one a clear conscience since you see the transactions).

I guess I'd have to give them money for the process fee... I am doing CR1 though. That's the trouble with the CR1, not too many people have done this process, enough though.

A.3.2.2

A fair number have done I130-s, but not DCFs. There's a big difference.

Save the I-864 until interview time. You will need to do one even though you will need a co-sponsor as well.

Send back the DS-230 and OF-169 checklist. K-1s also have a supplemental to return, but I'm not sure about DCFers. This will get GZ started and eventually P-4 will show up.

A.3.2.3

I keep reading in posts about bills for the I-864, Affidavit of Support Form. I'm assuming this doesn't apply to me, is that right? Why do people have to pay for that form?

As far as I know, we just take the completed I-184 (or more than one in my case with a co-sponsor) to the appointment.

Q.3.3 CR-1?

A.3.3.1

Packet 3 will usually consist of the following:

DS-2001 (or OF-169 or UK/85) -- This is the main set of instructions. It is also a checklist of items required for the interview.

OF-167 -- information sheet about financial responsibility.

DS-230 (or OF-230 Part 1) -- biographical data sheet.

DS-156 -- Nonimmigrant visa application form

You may or may not, at this time, receive medical exam information, and a list of required immunizations.

I thought the I-864 affidavit of support was included also. I know it's coming next, along with the 230.

A.3.3.2

Doing a CR-1 visa through a I-130 that is being processed at the NVC not Guangzhou. I got an email from Guangzhou saying to use copies or download forms from the internet when I was doing my P-3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 11 February 2005)

Q.3.4 CR-2?

What we are trying to do is to bring my step kid (5 yr) to US, which is CR2. National Visa Center has approved our case and told us that they sent all documents to Guangzhou by the middle of Oct, 2004. Before they informed us, we seem to have filed some forms usually belong to what you guys call "packet 3", which is from consulate in GUZ to K visa applicants, as I understand. For example, we filed out DS-230 part I, I-864, etc. And the "Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants" says that the next step, step 5, is that GUZ consulate will send us appointment letter (called packet 4?) one month before our interview.

My question is :

Does anybody know, by average, how long we have to wait before we receive this appointment letter after NVC has sent all documents to Guangzhou?

I know consulate will give one month notice before the interview. But, I don't know how fast the consulate office processes the immigration case CR2 once they have received everything from NVC. The consulate office won't answer questions like this and they just told me we can't predict.

Please let me know if you know the answer. If you know any web site that is for CR applicants, please let me know too.

A.3.4.1

CR-2 has no derivative status. An unmarried child under 21 of the CR-1 applicant must have an I-130 filed on their behalf to apply for a CR-2 but the CR-1 applicant must show the VO proof of full custody.

The wait for interview is unknown.

A.3.4.2

Yes the wait is unknown. There are a few of waiting now for an interview.

The K31 and K3's usually have a 6 month wait after the Case is in Clearance delay. After the P3 there is usually 3-4 month wait for an interview. We as Cr1/2's have the P3 done in the NVC in New Hampshire but we are still faced with the 1 month Clearance delay and 1 month Plus Security Check, but it is not known if our interview wait starts when our case is complete in the NVC or when Guangzhou gets the Papers. When the sent me a letter from the NVC it said my Case was Complete but no Interview Date has been Set yet So I guess until someone goes the Full Distance from I-130 Approval the DS3032,The I-864, The DS-230 the Clearance delay the Security Check and the Interview wait time we'll never know.

====================================================================

EOF

P4 FAQ

Edit Notes:

(Edit start 27 November 2004)

(Latest edited changes 30 March 2005)

(Add edit date next to question list, meaning the date someone last checked, verified or made changes due to new information on it to keep it current)

(Try to list questions and answers in the same time order as the likelihood of the question being asked in relation to the other questions.)

(Answers are either one consolidated answer or a number of "as experienced" answers.)

(Questions and answers from year 2004, 2005)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

These are compilations and consolidations from other peoples questions and answers posted on the Candleforlove.com web page and other pages. You should read this FAQ with that in mind, because things change faster than this FAQ. If the question or answer is familiar to you, thank you for your contribution which has been edited into this FAQ. These questions and answers are only related to the visa process for those petitions going through the US Consulate in Guangzhou. If you find something that does not seem correct, please email or post about it, that way this FAQ can be updated. Remember these questions and answers are based on other peoples opinions or experiences only.

P4 Frequently Asked Questions.

--------------------------------------------

Q.1.1 What is a FAQ

Q.1.2 What is a P4?

Q.1.3 At what stage of the visa process does the P4 occur.

Q.1.4 Who sends the P4?

Q.1.5 What are the documents contained in a P4?

Q.1.6 Where can I find sample P4 forms?

Q.1.7 Can we use sample or downloaded P4 forms?

Q.1.8 How long until we receive the P4 from the Consulate?

Q.1.9 How long after we return the P3 until the Interview?

Q.1.10 How do I find out the status of P4?

Q.1.11 Can I check my status on line? I have the case number.

Q.1.12 What's next after the P4?

Q.1.13 How long after we get the P4 until the Interview?

Q.1.14 Fees?

Q.1.15 Does the Hospital need the P4 forms?

Q.1.16 Does the Hospital need the I-134?

Q.1.17 Can we get the Hospital exam done before we receive the P4?

Q.1.18 "Certification of legal capacity and intent to marry" form?

Q.1.19 Recommendations concerning vaccinations.

In Work:

I-134 Question #11

The Answers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(28 November 2004)

Q.1.1 What is a FAQ?

A.1.1.1

A.1.1.2

When there is a FAQ available on a web site or forum, it is there to help people who are new to the subject get a basic level of understanding by answering the questions that are frequently asked. It is considered common courtesy in the on line world to read the FAQ before posting your question as it may already have the answer you need, or it might help you to formulate your questions so that someone else can more easily help you when you ask them.

A.1.1.3

There are lots of acronyms and abbreviations used on the forum. Please read the FAQ for the definitions of the commonly used ones.

(Edited 3 January 2005)

Q.1.2 What is a P4?

A.1.2.1

Abbreviation for "Packet 4"

A.1.2.2

After the P3 for your Fiancé/Fiancee/Wife/Husband has reached the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, these are the next set of instructions and documents that the Consulate will send that will need to be followed, filled out, brought with you to the medical check and Interview. If your P4 documents come from somewhere else, the rest of this FAQ may be helpful, but instructions and forms might be different based on the visa type, consulate and country.

(Edited 9 January 2005)

Q.1.3 At what stage of the visa process does the P4 occur.

A.1.3.1

After you have returned the P3.

(Edited 4 December 2004)

Q.1.4 Who sends the P4?

A.1.4.1

(Edited 3 January 2005)

Q.1.5 What are the documents contained in a P4?

A.1.5.1

Read the Guanzhou Consulate FAQ page around the twelfth question (For K1 Visa):

A.1.5.2

Here is a list of documents based on CFL members:

1. Appointment letter in English

2. K-1 appointment (packet 4) letter

3. Appointment letter for immigrant visa applications (OF-171)

4. Important notice in Chinese (for photograph specifications)

5. Supplemental form GNI-2

6. Certification of legal capacity and intent to marry

7. Family composition sheet (GIV-24)

8. Medical examination instructions (GIV-8)

9. Medical examination for immigrant or refugee applicant (DS-2053)

10. Chest X-ray and classification worksheet (DS-3024)

11. Vaccination documentation worksheet (DS-3025)

12. Medical history and physical examination worksheet (DS-3026)

13. Nonimmigrant visa application (DS-156) and nonimmigrant visa application for applicants 16 years and older (DS-157) (two sets)

14. Nonimmigrant fiancé(e) visa application (DS-156K)

A.1.5.3

K-1 gets a bunch of forms in P-4.

K-3 gets only the interview letter.

(Edited 3 December 2004)

Q.1.6 Where can I find sample P4 forms?

A.1.6.1

You can find sample forms here: http://home.comcast.net/~donahso/index.htm

(Edited 15 February 2005)

Q.1.7 Can we send sample or downloaded P4 forms?

A.1.7.1

Probably in a pinch, you should copy your forms immediately after receiving them so you have ones to practice or replace with.

A.1.7.2

Just as an update, when my honey found out that she did not have enough forms, she also sent GZ a fax explain the lack of forms and requested more forms for her K2. GZ promptly sent her another full package that she received within 2 days.

(Edited 30 March 2005)

Q.1.8 How long until we receive the P4 from the Consulate?

A.1.8.1.

Currently the average wait time is 140-170 days after Guangzhou receives and enters your P3 into the computer (Based on time lines from October, November, December CFL Members 2004). It usually arrives via EMS (Express Mail Service) from the Guangzhou Consulate.

(Edited 30 March 2005)

Q.1.9 How long after we return the P3 until the Interview?

A.1.9.1

Interview dates are currently 5 months plus or minus a week or three from the date of the P3 arrival at Guangzhou Consulate. (Based on Candleforlove.com member time lines from P3 returns dated October, November, December 2004). A good general average to expect is 180 days.

(Edited 12 February 2005)

Q.1.10 How do I find out the status of P4?

A.1.10.1

Call 1-202-663-1225 That is DOS's (Department of State) phone number.

If Guangzhou sent you the response that it will be a few months before you are scheduled for an interview, then it is assumed that you have made it past the second name check and in the waiting queue. If Guangzhou sent you an email saying that they are in the pre-interview process then you are not in the queue for waiting yet.

A.1.10.2

I found the best time to call DOS is when they open the phone lines. It usually takes 5 to 15 minutes if you call at 0830 EST.

I've called them so many times over the last four months. It seems that only females work there, or at least in the mornings. I was told that they all don't have the same clearance when they log into their work stations. Some are authorized to view more when they pull up your case on their computer. One women I spoke to in September gave me the date the final name check was cleared in the computer. A few days later when I called back, the woman that I spoke to couldn't give me any dates or much less tell me if the name checks were done, and was confused as to how anyone in that office could have given me that information. Later in November, I spoke to another woman who explained that most of the people in their office only have limited clearance, enough to see if your case has been logged into GUZ, but not much else unless GUZ puts a notification that the can see. She said sometimes GUZ puts markers on the file that indicate to the people in that DOS office that they name check was completed, but it won't show a date. She told me that there are some, but very few, who have clearance to actually see dates and progress. She also told me that all the email's anyone sends to GUZ are listed on the computer file that the DOS office can see also, as well as all the inquiries submitted by Congress persons, Representatives, and Senators.

The others above were right, just keep calling until you find a person who can give you more information. But I wouldn't keep calling the same day, because it's been my experience that they only have a few people answering phones at any given time. I swear one day they only had three people answering phones from 0830-1000 EST. I was upset by one of them, and I kept calling back trying to get someone else to help me. I kept getting the same three women, so I gave up and called the next day.

(Edited 30 March 2005)

Q.1.11 Can I check my status on line? I have the case number.

A.1.11.1

No, you can't check anything online. But you can use the GUZ case number to email GZ and ask about your case status. Go to the Guangzhou consulate contact web page to send email. http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...iv/contact.html

You can get your GUZ number by calling DOS 1-202-663-1225, press 1, then 0, then 0, Give them your SO's name, Birth date and NOA2 number

Q.1.12 What's next after the P4?

Q.1.12.1

The Interview.

Q.1.13 How long after we get the P4 until the Interview?

A.1.14.1

Average time is 30 to 60 days. That is from the date of the P4 to the date of the Interview. (From CFL Member time lines October, November, December 2004).

Q.1.14 Fees?

What is the medical fee and also where and how much to pay for the processing fee?

A.1.14.1

Medical fee is paid to the hospital.

Processing fee to CITIC Bank on Guangzhou bank list.

List of Banks to pay fee:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...u/iv/citic.html

A.1.14.2

Expect our K1 visa fee to be 830 RMB. I believe the K3 visa fee is about 3000 RMB. I anticipate the visa receipt will go into the sealed medical envelope containing the results of the exam. We have budgeted 800 to 1000 RMB for the medical examination.

A.1.14.3

Pay the 830 Yuan fee at citi bank in GZ before med exam-get receipt!!--pay for medical exam at hospital they will let you know what to do with the receipts.

Also, you do not have to get shots updated but you will have to in the USA-So get them in GZ, it is much cheaper.

A.1.14.4

I talked to the DOS this morning, for those of you doing the CR1 remember that you paid the Visa fee in the NVC. Also your I-864 should also be with your Case in Guangzhou. It might be advisable to have an updated employment letter and your W-2 from 2004. The case complete letter reminds you to have updated financial documents( at least mine did).

Q.1.15 Does the Hospital need the P4 forms?

A.1.15.1

Latest information on this is here:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...edicalexam.html

Q.1.16 Does the Doctor or Hospital need the I-134?

The instructions she was sent by the Consulate is telling her the doctor in China, who does the physical exam, must have and see her fiancee's I-134. Of course he is very upset and keeps telling her she does not understand the instructions. Now someway me and my fiancee have been dragged into this argument. I keep telling everyone of course the doctor in China DOES NOT need to see his I-134 while the girls keep telling both of us they do.

A.1.16.1.

You can send the notarized I-134 and supporting documents in a sealed envelope directly the VO at the consulate.

There is no requirement to provide private financial information to a medical person at a private clinic.

See .....http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

A.1.16.2

The doctor should not ask for this. In fact, I read that the information can be given sealed only to be opened by the consulate official.

A.1.16.3

It doesn't sound right but to justify that situation, it could be that the examining physician wants to include the I-134 in the sealed envelope along with the medical report to be taken to the interview. It has been known that the clinics have included the 830 RMB application receipt in the sealed envelopes before.

But this is the first time I've heard of including the I-134.

Q.1.17 Can we get the Hospital exam done before we receive the P4?

A.1.17.1

No, you can not do the physical test before you get the P4 even you already know which hospital to go. When you go to one of the hospitals listed, you will have to bring those related forms with you, you won't be able to get those forms until you receive your P4. You need the appointment letter showing the date of your interview.

And make sure you must bring your passport with you when you do the physical check. without your passport, some hospitals will refused to do physical check for you.

Q.1.18 Q.1.18 "Certification of legal capacity and intent to marry" form?

On the package 4 interview list what is "Certification of legal capacity and intent to marry"? Are those forms included in the P4? She hasn't asked about them so maybe they are. Just checking.

A1.18.1

There is a "certification of legal capacity and intent to marry" form in the P4 packet. The SO should write the name of the American citizen she/he is to marry on the form and sign it in the presence of a VO who will also sign it. This form is in addition to the "intent to marry" letter most people write.

Form can be reviewed here;

http://home.comcast.net/~donahso/P4/Cert_o...nt_to_marry.pdf

Q.1.19 Chinese and English forms?

Should we fill out and return both the English and Chinese versions to the Consulate, the English version filled out in English....the Chinese version filled out in Chinese.

A.1.19.1

We have filled out the P3 and will fill out the P4 forms in both languages. They gave us both, so we filled out both.

A.1.19.2

They can always throw out an extra one if they don't need it, but they can't fill in a missing one!!!!

Q.1.20. Two copies of each form?

Did I read correctly that there must be two copies of each of these forms? (original & one copy)

A.1.20.1

Yes. Fill out both forms 2 English and 2 Chinese for DS-156 and DS-157. Make at total of 8 forms.

(Edited 13 February 2005)

Q.1.19 Recommendations concerning vaccinations.

A.1.19.1

On a K-1 there is no requirement to have the vaccinations prior to entering the US. Evidence of vaccinations are produced at the time of the AOS interview in the US.

It is not required for a K-1 because this is a 90 day visa only and at the end of the visa time period, the holder must return to their country of origin if they do not legally married. Hence the government does not require them to be done prior to entering the US.

Some people chose to have them done in China before coming into to the US because it is less expensive.

A.1.19.2

They are cheaper in China than the US, like others have said.

I suggest that after passing the interview, walk down to the clinic on Shamanian Island and have them done there. You can get them done on a walk-in basis. They will give you the yellow international vaccination card. It takes only a few minutes.

Just present the yellow card (well actually a little booklet) to the civil surgeon in the US and they will complete the vaccination supplement that you need for the AOS process.

EOF

Interview FAQ

Edit Notes:

(Edit start 29 November 2004)

(Latest edited changes 29 March 2005)

(Questions and answers from year 2004,2005)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Interview Frequently Asked Questions.

-------------------------------------------------------

Q.1.1 What is a FAQ

Q.1.2 What is the Interview?

Q.1.3 At what stage of the visa process does the Interview occur? Q.1.4 Where is the Interview held?

Q.1.5 Will I be allowed in to the Interview?

Q.1.6 How long until we get an Interview?

Q.1.6 Where can I find sample interview questions?

Q.1.7 What should we bring to the interview?

Q.1.8 What documents does the Hospital need?

Q.1.9 Which hospitals do examinations the same day?

Q.1.10 Recommendations concerning vaccinations.

Q.1.11 What's next after the Interview?

Q.1.12 We got the visa, how long is it good for?

Q.1.13 Where should we stay, Hotel Information?

Q.1.14 Where is the Guangzhou Consulate? Map?

Q.1.15 Methods of travel to Guangzhou from Hong Kong?

Q.1.16 We did not get the visa, they want additional evidence!

Q.1.17 We got a blue/pink slip!

Q.1.18 We got a Yellow slip?

Q.1.19 Video tape?

Q.1.20 General Interview experiences and advice.

Q.1.21 How early should we arrive for the Interview?

The Answers.

(28 November 2004)

Q.1.1 What is a FAQ?

A.1.1.1

A.1.1.2

A.1.1.3

(Edited 3 January 2005)

Q.1.2 What is the Interview?

A.1.2.1

Your Fiancé/Fiancee/Wife/Husband will go to an interview at the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou, as part of the process for their visa.

(Edited 9 January 2005)

Q.1.3 At what stage of the visa process does the Interview occur?

A.1.3.1

The Interview occurs after receiving and returning the P3 documents, and receiving the P4 documents.

(Edited 4 December 2004)

Q.1.4 Where is the Interview held?

A.1.4.1

(Edited 8 December 2005)

Q.1.5 Will I be allowed in to the Interview?

A.1.5.1

No.

However some CFL members think you should consider being outside the Consulate for mental support, and to deal with any difficulties should they occur.

(Edited 29 March 2005)

Q.1.6 How long until we get an Interview?

A.1.6.1

Currently based on CFL member time lines from October, November, December it is an average of 160 days from returning the P3 documents (see P3 FAQ) to the Interview.

(Edited 28 November 2004)

Q.1.6 Where can I find sample interview questions?

A.1.6.1

They could ask any question, but here are some examples:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=7&t=3131

http://www.powow.com/grobbins/gr-questions.html

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....s=5de8a06862486 088db69e041d61418d2

http://www.kamya.com/interview/k1int_1.html

http://p075.ezboard.com/fi130helpsiteforum...opicID=44.topic

Q.1.7 What should we bring to the interview?

A.1.7.1

Go to the source for this at:

A.1.7.2

1. Forms in the appointment packet (P4)

2. Chinese passport.

3. Application fee receipt (The one paid to the CITIC Bank)

4. Four visa photos attached to forms DS-156

5. Notarial birth certificate. (Don't forget the notarized in English translations!)

6. Notarial marital status certificate. (Don't forget the notarized in English translations!)

7. Police Certificates (Don't forget the notarized in English translations!)

8. Medical report

9. Affidavit of Support - I-134 and a copy of the most recent year tax returns from the petitioner.

10. Relationship evidence, such as correspondence and photos taken together to prove the claimed relationship to the petitioner

(Edited 25 February 2005)

Q.1.8 What documents does the Hospital need?

A.1.8.1

Go to the source:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...edicalexam.html

Q.1.9 Which hospitals do examinations the same day?

A.1.9.1

Q.1.10 Recommendations concerning vaccinations.

A.1.10.1

Q.1.11 What's next after the Interview?

A.1.11.1

Usually if the Interview goes well, you pick up the visa the next day. Go to the U.S. to be with your Spouse or get married. After that, until you begin the next long period of paperwork in the U.S But you are together now.

(Edited 27 November 2004)

Q.1.12 We got the visa, how long is it good for?

A.1.12.1

Six months.

You should check the visa when you get it. Proper name spelling and so forth.

(Edited 6 February 2005)

Q.1.13 Where should we stay, Hotel Information?

A.1.13.1

List of Guangzhou hotels and room rates:

http://www.guangzhouhotel.com/bestrates.htm

A.1.13.2

Victory Hotel. Very close to US Consulate.

http://www.vhotel.com/

A.1.13.3

The Aigun hotel is about a 15 minute walk down the river. Not a bad place. I have stayed there a few times

A.1.13.4

The Aiqun or Gitic Riverside Hotels are under $50 (400 yuan) per night. Both have good restaurants and there are many more in walking distance.

A.1.13.5

We stayed at the Guangzhou International Seamen's Club.

A.1.13.6

My wife and I used the Victory Hotel annex during her interview. It is clean but not fancy and about 4 blocks from the Consulate. We will be there next week for her son's interview, 280 yaun a day. The main Victory Hotel is about 6-7 blocks away from the consulate and is nice for 380 yaun a day.

A.1.13.7

Guangdong Victory hotel (4-star) 280rmb tel: 020-8121 6688 address is: no. 56 Sha Mian Bei street

Guangdong Sha Mian Hotel (3-star) 238rmb Tel: 020-8121 8288 add.: no. 52 sha mian nan street

Ai Qun Hotel Tel: 020-8186 6668-220 Add.: No. 113 Yan Jiang Xi Rd

http://www.gdshamianhotel.com/english/index.htm call the hotel booking no. should be able to get the better price rather than go to the hotel direct. the booking no. is 020-8358 0888

and there is one other hotel about 15 minute wak from embassy but off the island at 200 RMB

A.1.13.8

Victory Hotel is one of the nicest places for the price.

A.1.13.9

For those on a budget, there is the Guangzhou Youth Hostel, across the road from the White Swan. For $20 something, you get a standard hotel room, with a western bathroom. But for a place to sleep, keep your stuff safe, and have a hot shower, it's more than adequate.

(Edited 3 February 2005)

Q.1.14 Where is the Guangzhou Consulate? Map?

A.1.14.1

Here is a map with some hotels on it:

http://www.86hotels.com/guangzhou_hotel/gu...angzhou_map.htm

(Edited 4 December 2004)

Q.1.15 Methods of travel to Guangzhou from Hong Kong?

A.1.15.1

By train:

http://www.kcrc.com/eng/services/services/sipsnts1.asp

http://www.tiglion.com/english/travel/chin...ngzhou%20(East)

A.1.15.2

By Bus

(Edited 12 January 2005)

Q.1.16 We did not get the visa, they want additional evidence!

A.1.16.1

This answer depends of the situation. The thing to remember is this is not a denial. Get the evidence they asked for, even if you had it there and they did not look at it.

Get together what ever GZ wants and do it quickly. Fax the documents that GZ wants to your fiancee so she can turn them in to the consulate.

But act now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 12 January 2005)

Q.1.17 We got a blue/pink slip?

A.1.17.1

The blue slip is the denial the pink slip is what explains what they want from you. Get the documents they need ASAP and she can likely clear this up in a few days. In a nutshell you've got to give them what they want. Get it together and she can take them down to the consulate and turn them in. She will then come back the next day for a decision. Have her prepared for a second interview when she does.

A.1.17.2

You can go here for "section 221" info.

Is it possible a wrong box was checked on your DS-156 or

DS-230?

http://www.immigrationapplication.com/classes.htm

A.1.17.3

One last piece of advice that I picked up from our sage Don when Bing and I were having our version of hell on earth while dealing with the unreasonable VO we got the first go round at GZ. "Use a lot of mouthwash to get the taste out of your mouth while kissing their ass" Don't be confrontational. They have all the power. Be polite and firm but not accusatory. They don't like to admit they make mistakes so they need an out to save face. For instance when I wrote the letter to the VO we submitted with our overcome documents while addressing the issue of her English skills while talking to the VO I wrote "Bing does speak English. The problem and what I think caused the blue slip is sometimes she has a problem hearing English. When that happens I simply type out the phrase in English so she can read it. She then replies in English." This gave them an out to save face. Now they can say "Ah that's it! No wonder. I thought she doesn't know English since she didn't understand me. So that's how they communicate."

A.1.17.3

OK, I was at the consulate on Sept. 30, 2004 for the info session.

The VO that gave the talk had this to say about Blue Slips.

The VO's have great discretion over who gets Visa's, the rules are kind of gray. Many of their initial decision's are based on gut reactions. They are only allotted a certain amount of time to review the material before the interview. Then they only have a limited amount of time at the interview.

What this means, is that if their gut reaction throws any kind of red flag up.

They may not look at anything at the interview, they have already decided that your case needs further review. Which they do not have time for at the initial interview. For us that means we will get a blue slip, we will be asked to bring requested info back the next day. Often times the info will be just the info you had at the interview, which they could not take the time to look at, that day.

In the VO's own words---When you bring your info in, it will sit on his desk until he takes the time to review EVERYTHING, he says he can not go home until the pile of cases on his desk is reviewed.

In a nutshell, he said do not sweat a blue slip, initially. It simple means they need to take more time to review your information.

Fraud is a major problem, they see all manner of fake paperwork. Up to and including fake US passports and IRS paperwork.

I know this does not seem very fair but it kind of explains some of the inconsistencies we see.

Some of us real people are getting swooped up in the big game.

The VO did not seem the least remorseful about how some people might be asked to return again and again, even though their homes might be thousands of miles away. Although overall, he seemed to be a nice guy.

I heard what I have heard often here-----bring as much documentation as you can get. They may look at it OR they may not. Every case is different!

The good news, if any! Tell your SO to stay calm, if a blue slip is issued-quite possibly it can be resolved with just the paperwork you already have. They just need to take the time to look at it.

Well, that is how he explained it.

Beyond that, I think sometimes they just ask for off the wall Items(like videotapes)to see how people will respond. If there was a big complete list of everything you needed, then I suppose the fakers would have a fake everything when they show up for the interview.

Q.1.18 We got a Yellow slip?

A.1.18.1

Various people had been given this for the following reasons:

Consulate worker did not have enough time to process paperwork.

Financial documents were not complete.

Other documents not complete.

The same general answer seems to apply as the blue/pink slip. Have as much documentation on hand, be ready to provide more evidence even if it was available at the interview and you need to bring it again.

Q.1.19 Video tape?

A.1.19.1

Tapes are generally only requested as proof as the ability to communicate.

Thus, if the beneficiary speaks poor English, they may ask the Sponsor to send a tape of him or her speaking and writing Chinese.

However, in that case, a tape of the two individuals communicating together is generally accepted, and the USC can generally get out of taking a Crash-Course in Chinese.

If the beneficiary has VERY STRONG English skills, it is very unlikely that they will ask for a tape.

One thing to keep in mind. The interview may be your fiancee's most stressful day of her life. If she had mediocre English skills, they could easily go flying out the window.

Also consider that the two of you have likely gotten accustomed to each of your speaking styles... There are a tremendous variety of English dialects in the world. Can you understand everything that British, Australian, or Indian speakers are saying? What about your favorite auctioneer? Will your fiancee do well if he or she encounters a heavily accented interviewer?

A.1.19.2

I wanted to share the response I received to my GZ inquiry. My congressmen's office fired off a question about video requirements and my interview date. While the GZ Consulate did not give a clue as to the interview date, they did respond to the video question.

Original query sent August 26, 2004.....GZ response dated Sept 13, 2004..

Dear representative Bonilla:

Thank you for your fax of August 26 regarding the fiancé visa application of your constituent (my name here with case ##). Mr (my name) requested your assistance in this matter.

Contrary to the information (my name) has been given, petitioners are not "required" to provide a videotape of the petitioner and beneficiary having a conversation in order to establish a bona fide relationship. During the interview, a question arises as to how the couple communicate if the petitioner speaks little or no Chinese and the applicant speaks little or no English. In such cases the interviewing officer may question the bona fide

relationship and request additional evidence regarding the couples ability

to communicate.

If there is a question about how a couple communicate, the officer may ask for a video of the couple interacting and communicating together, but it is not required.

Since (my name) does not speak Chinese and his fiancé does not speak English, I would suggest that he provide his fiancé with some evidence, in whatever for it may be, that she can bring to the interview to show the interviewing officer that she and (my name) can meaningfully communicate.

We hope this information will assist you in responding to your constituent.

it was signed by Acting Chief

Michael Yen, Consular section

A.1.19.3

You will have to make an NTSC VHS tape. VCD won't work. Reason being the only equipment they have is for NTSC VHS. I got this from the mouth of a staffer in the citizen services section who used to work downstairs in Immigration.

To get a VHS tape made go to the Shamain Hotel (up and across from White Swan) go to the second floor, and through the glass door across from the maid's station. GZPerfect I think is the name.

Anyhow these are nice people, wish we had known about them earlier. They will tape a session for you for RMB500. We taped our own 25 minute session (Yes, it says 5 but we lost track of the time) using my minicam. I took them my minicam, they plugged it into their gear, RMB300 and an hour later we had our VHS tape.

Really, check them out. They are nice people.

Their phone number is 81215016 in GZ.

(Edited 18 February 2005)

Q.1.20 General Interview experiences and advice.

A.1.20.1

(K1 Interview January 2005 ) (White slip) (Petitioner in Guangzhou)

I also attended the citizen hour the day before the interview and spoke with a visa officer. There is not much useful information to be gathered here, but if you are going to be in Guangzhou anytime prior to the interview I suggest you attend at least just to sign in. They record your name. Fiancee name and guz case number and they will know that you attended during the interview. The VO that answered questions during the session I attended said the most important things to her were, how many visits to china the petitioner has made (documented by your passport or notarized copy of passport), a personal letter from the petitioner and pictures. the VO told me they very rarely ask for a video and they will not accept a video on the day of the interview even if you have one and they want one. is only if you are returning with a blue slip will they even consider a video (vhs format). and the last item of importance is your fiancee attitude the vo's look for confidence and speed in answers and getting information.

A.1.20.2

(K3 Interview January 2005) (White slip) (Petitioner in Guangzhou)

The dreaded interview for my wife was a slam dunk, I think due to being overly prepared with about 15 pounds of photos, emails, letters, documents, etc. and my wife promptly displaying my passport. One year with CFL had us overly prepared, having read of others blue slips and difficulties the past year. We had a tape speaking English prepared, I had email addresses for Congressional offices, legal wording for open record requests, etc, everything I could find if we had any difficulties.

We had practiced about 150 interview questions for the last two months and the actual interview boiled down to about 6 questions in two minutes time, after my wife had stood waiting for about 4 hours. The interviewer was a pretty Caucasian woman who asked the questions in Chinese, my wife responding in English.

Many of the other women being interviewed made remarks about the large amount of evidence my wife had. Some of their interviews lasted 15 - 20 minutes and they had little 1" or less stacks of supporting documents.

A.1.20.3

(K1 Interview January 2005) (Blue slip for expired notarial single certificate/ White) (Petitioner not in Guangzhou)

This ordeal has brought us closer as a couple as the weeks pass.

After her initial blue slip last week, I and her family spent days trying to get her spirits back in the fight. I advised her that in spite of what happened, the best response is to rush back to the consulate (with the corrected paperwork) as quickly as possible. I even suggested she watch a Kung Fu movie to help get her fighting spirit back.

I also assured her that if she had another setback, I'd be in China the next week. I think the fact that we would be together soon, no matter what, helped her be more fearless.

A.1.20.4

(K1 and K2 Interview January 2005) (White slip) (Petitioner in Guangzhou)

As for the interview itself, my SO gave the VO my passport which he examined closely. Next, my SO gave the VO my personal letter to the consulate, which I had notarized the day before in the citizens center (of the consulate). This obviously showed I was there in GZ with her, along with giving her my original passport to show them.

For the most part, the questions asked were standard and typical of everyone else, but the VO did probe a little bit about each of our prior marriages and divorces.

Next, the VO spent a lot of time looking at each and every one of the pictures we provided.

Finally, near the end of the interview when he was approving the visa, she asked the VO if he wanted to see the I-134 which he apparently forgot about.

Then, the good news came: "I'm going to approve your visa."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edited 29 March 2005)

Q.1.21 How early should we arrive for the Interview?

A.1.21.1

I would get there before 8:00 and check in with the guard. They make different lines for different visas. they will make a line of all the K-visa beneficiaries then when the proper time comes let you through to make yet another line. then they will let you across the street to make yet another line before going into the building where they will scan her retina and go through a metal detector. She will go through that building to make (yes you guessed it) another line. There she will stand outside in the heat and humidity with no breeze for up to 4 hours. Yes fans this is how our wives and fiances are treated by our government. Herded like cattle and forced to endure long lines in the South China heat. All for a 5 minute interview with a VO that may or may not be nice.

A.1.21.2

Everybody's appointment. slip says 8:30am.....my advice is get there at 6:30.....7:00 at the latest as there will still be a little bit of a line.....ask the guard which line for the K-1 as there will be others with blue slips for a different line.

====================================================================

EOF