Wife's first day of non-ESL college

weiaijiayou

I think your wife may have the right idea of just going ahead with taking the the GED test. It is no shame and could be much easier than documenting education in China - you know go with the flow.

We talked with some administrators from the business school my wife wants to attend, and came to the conclusion she would not be able to enroll this term starting March 7th. We had her transcripts from high school/college/and university emailed to the school, and they sent them off to an accredidation department in Tampa (supposedly they are one of the better ones to deal with Chinese/US degree equivalency). Anyways, the school in Tampa rejected them on the basis that they were not official (e.g. an email). Officially we think we could get the documents from China and sent to this accredidation department in Tampa before the term starts, but my wife thinks the expense is too great to do this. The accredidation department in Tampa states that all the documents need to be translated or a $50 per page fee will apply. Of course, we could do the translation in Wuhan and have them sent with the documents, by my wife thinks "this is so expensive". Yin is afriad of the GED because she has no time to prepare (they give in on Feb 16, and Feb 23rd) in order to enroll. So we have the old, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" standoff. At least I can say I've explored all the options I could explore, for this term, at we know what we are up against to try to enroll in future education.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I saw your post; we were just wondering about this as my wife just passed her interview and we are considering having her go to school once she arrives.

So basically your wife was able to qualify as a state resident by virtue of you being a resident of the state? In other words, it doesn't matter how long she has been in the state/country as long as her husband is a resident?

Also - though I maintained a state driver's license and an "address" (parents place) for the last three years, I have only just returned to the state after living in China for those three years. I suppose I would therefore not qualify as a state resident?

I'm living in CA; I know the states are different but the rules are probably somewhat similar. Thanks for any thoughts!

Dan

If you're talking about community college, rules about residency probably vary from school to school. At my wife's, I believe they require a year of living in-county to get the lowest tuition rate. When my wife first started, she had only been in the US for about 5 months, but the school was willing to accept my residence history since we're married.

But I very much got the feeling that they were letting us slide through. You'll probably just have to check with the school, do some negotiating, and hope you don't 'peng ying dingzi'...

I'm glad I saw your post; we were just wondering about this as my wife just passed her interview and we are considering having her go to school once she arrives.

So basically your wife was able to qualify as a state resident by virtue of you being a resident of the state? In other words, it doesn't matter how long she has been in the state/country as long as her husband is a resident?

Also - though I maintained a state driver's license and an "address" (parents place) for the last three years, I have only just returned to the state after living in China for those three years. I suppose I would therefore not qualify as a state resident?

I'm living in CA; I know the states are different but the rules are probably somewhat similar. Thanks for any thoughts!

Dan

If you're talking about community college, rules about residency probably vary from school to school. At my wife's, I believe they require a year of living in-county to get the lowest tuition rate. When my wife first started, she had only been in the US for about 5 months, but the school was willing to accept my residence history since we're married.

But I very much got the feeling that they were letting us slide through. You'll probably just have to check with the school, do some negotiating, and hope you don't 'peng ying dingzi'...

I had known that CA requires a person to actually live in the state for a year before they are considered a resident for tuition purposes; I wasn't sure though if there was a way around that in the event that the husband was a resident.

Turns out there isn't. I looked it up; in CA at least the marriage doesn't matter (unless I worked for the university, or other special conditions). The one year requirement is pretty strict.