PLEASE RESPOND ASAP [DCF]

Like many Chinese citizens, my wife Jane never had an actual birth certificate, so she had to get a letter from the PSB. The problem is when we had this document translated and notarized, the notary office kept the original document. The white book with the translation of it has the chinese version too, but it just has the notary office's official stamp on it, not the PSB's.

Also, the original document was not on "formal letterhead" but had the PSB's official stamp on it. Do I need the original of this document when filing DCF, and is this the correct document?

I need to know this as soon as possible so I don't waste another long trip to Guangzhou only to find out I have to back AGAIN just to file the I-130 petition.

Our concern is that the letter in the white book does not even mention the Public Security Bureau or the stamp they placed on it. Apparently the PSB where she is registered doesn't even have a formal letterhead to write things on. I don't know why they didn't insert a copy of the original letter in the white book, but the way they did it makes it look like she only went to the notary office to get a certification letter about her birth

PSB usually issues police certs which gets translated at Notary office, as for "Birth Cert" that is an additional document issued by Notary office that is based on Household Book.

And yes these things are translated and bound in white books.

It is recommended to get extra "Birth Cert" for later uses in the USA.

Birth Certificates

Available in the form of notarial certificates, which are secondary evidence. Notarial certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Gong Zheng Shu or Chu Sheng Zheng Ming Shu) for persons living in or recently departed from China are generally reliable, but are best used in conjunction with other evidence. They are most often based upon an AHHR, (Household Record) which is easily susceptible to fraud, especially in villages. Notarial birth certificates for persons long departed from China are most likely based merely upon the testimony of interested parties.

Police Records

Generally available, reliable. Persons should apply for a certificate of no criminal record at the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) (or certain types of employers such as state owned enterprises), then make application to the notary office for a certificate based on the PSB document. Persons without a criminal record will be able to obtain a certificate to that effect. Certificates for individuals with one or more criminal convictions will list all convictions for which records still exist. The certificates purport to reflect all criminal convictions during residence in China. Police records are generally not available for the period prior to 1949. Certificates are available for those in the J-1, Z, and X categories. The GOC does not issue police records for temporary residents of China in L or F visa categories.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3537.html

I think the white book is fine, after all it is an official government issued document (which they'll ultimately end up wanting anyway).

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)