GM says China sales up 67%

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

Beijing has helped to boost auto sales with tax cuts and subsidies for drivers to shift to cleaner, more fuel-efficient cars. Most of that aid has gone to Chinese makers of smaller cars, though foreign producers also see sales rising.

I know that the Buick Regal was a very hot car in China when I have been there.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-0...ales-jump_N.htm

Beijing has helped to boost auto sales with tax cuts and subsidies for drivers to shift to cleaner, more fuel-efficient cars. Most of that aid has gone to Chinese makers of smaller cars, though foreign producers also see sales rising.

I know that the Buick Regal was a very hot car in China when I have been there.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-0...ales-jump_N.htm

That is the Shanghai Buick.
Guest Tony n Terrific

Ford is doing well in China as well as their sales rose 44% for 2009.

Ford is building a third plant in China that will open in 2012 to initially make revamped Focus cars. The $490 million factory, which will be able to make 150,000 vehicles a year.

according to yesterday's WSJ, both GM and Ford are going to have a rough year in China..

Too many cars in China a lot cheaper than GM and Ford. There are a few people with deep pockets that buy them, but so very few.

I was surprised to see just how cheap cars can be in China. For example, someone with 10K RMB can buy a small car brand new. So many people are getting cars these days in China. A big business are the people that teach new drivers. I see the cars every day picking up and dropping off new students for lessons.

Another great business are the after market shops. There is a large complex near my home that's probably made up of over 1000 different stores. These places do anything from body work, car washing, car stereo and electronics, upholstery, repair, and so on. I walk through the complex to go to the grocery store, and it's always booming. People seem to enjoy modifying their cars and making them more cool on the interior.