iPhone a very hot comodity now

Guest Tony n Terrific

After a slow start � and a flood of gray market devices � official sales gather momentum.

It took China Unicom (CHU), Apple's official Chinese carrier, 40 days to sell its first 100,000 iPhones and less than 20 to reach 300,000.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...0-iphones-sold/

I saw this comment:

the Apple had to build a version of the iPhone for the Chinese market that doesn't have a Wi-Fi chip.

not sure the implication of this as I would think most want but I think most tend to get a data plan in china and rely less on wifi connection.

There are plenty of clones; I checked out a few of them. The main problem was that none of them would properly use my US based SIM card dataplan (no internet would come through).

After a slow start � and a flood of gray market devices � official sales gather momentum.

It took China Unicom (CHU), Apple's official Chinese carrier, 40 days to sell its first 100,000 iPhones and less than 20 to reach 300,000.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...0-iphones-sold/

I saw this comment:

the Apple had to build a version of the iPhone for the Chinese market that doesn't have a Wi-Fi chip.

not sure the implication of this as I would think most want but I think most tend to get a data plan in china and rely less on wifi connection.

There are plenty of clones; I checked out a few of them. The main problem was that none of them would properly use my US based SIM card dataplan (no internet would come through).

Not sure about the WiFi chip, but given that the iPhone is only available (officially) through China Unicom -- the shittiest cell phone provider in China and probably even in Asia -- not sure even having a WiFi chip would be of any real use.

You can easily buy an unrestricted, uncrippled iPhone in Hong Kong and use it in China on China Mobile -- cheaper.

Edited by GDBILL (see edit history)