Another Fee Increase?!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to believe that all "service" fees are going to go up, federal and state. After all, they aren't taxes and that is what the majority is concerned about...raising taxes. So, those who require "special" services will just have to pay more! And, it is also a way to reduce workload. Just price it out of reach and the demand drops quickly!

What is aggravating is the fees going way up are those associated with the family of a U.S. citizen while others are foreigners applying for visas on their own. You think that a U.S. citizen bringing in family would get some kind of better fee treatment than a foreigner wanting in for some reason. Why don't they double the H-1B visa fees instead? :lol:

Actually I always wondered why K-Visas were charged the same fee as other non-immigrant visas like visitors visas by the consulate. K-Visas are handled by the immigrant visa unit and are subjected to much more processing than a visitor's visa. So a higher fee makes sense.

Note, this higher fee will make the K-Visas the most expensive process considering Adjustment of status, CR-1 and IR-1 spousal visas make the most sense considering fees.

Actually I always wondered why K-Visas were charged the same fee as other non-immigrant visas like visitors visas by the consulate. K-Visas are handled by the immigrant visa unit and are subjected to much more processing than a visitor's visa. So a higher fee makes sense.

Note, this higher fee will make the K-Visas the most expensive process considering Adjustment of status, CR-1 and IR-1 spousal visas make the most sense considering fees.

Your exactly right Dan. I am sure that the K visa will be a dinosaur in the near future. Did you run the numbers on a comparison of the new fees versus the CR/IR visa?

By the way did you all know that when you go to China the cost of your tourist visa will go up? These visa fees are reciprocal between countries. When one goes up the other country raises theirs equally. At least that is what I have been led to believe.

But that be between a B-2 US tourist visa and a Chinese tourist visa. It has always been our understanding that a fee increase in the US/PRC will likely prompt the other to do the same as well.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

But that be between a B-2 US tourist visa and a Chinese tourist visa. It has always been our understanding that a fee increase in the US/PRC will likely prompt the other to do the same as well.

Correct, B-2 looks to be going up by a couple of bucks.

K-Visas are NOT visitor's visas, they have immigrant intent and are treated like immigrant visas by the consulates a higher fee actually makes sense.

My comments sent, but trust me, as a former contractor at FERC, the comments on NOPRs (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) will fall on deaf ears. Your best bet is to contact your congress critter and have them make a comment on your behalf and it WILL get read more seriously, especially if a few different ones comment.

I also don't like the fact that although I petioned in late 2009, we will still get hit with the fee hike when the delay is because of THEM, not me.

Also submitted my opposing comments, also sure it will make no difference. It is always easiest to raise fees on foreigners who can't vote/complain to much

So, I am trying to figure out if its ever too soon to pay the fee. We should get P3 in late Feb/March, so if we can, we would like to get it paid before it goes up. Interview will probably be in May or so. Will that be ok to pay that early (end of Feb.) and bring the receipt? Or if it goes up will she have to go back and pay the difference or something?

So, I am trying to figure out if its ever too soon to pay the fee. We should get P3 in late Feb/March, so if we can, we would like to get it paid before it goes up. Interview will probably be in May or so. Will that be ok to pay that early (end of Feb.) and bring the receipt? Or if it goes up will she have to go back and pay the difference or something?

To pay fee fiancee will need the invitation letter from the consulate that is in P-4. Hopefully gets this before fee goes up. Fee can be payed at most CTIC branches by showing invite letter and passport, they will issue a receipt.

Only issue may be if fee goes up before interview but after paying the $131, the consulate may want the additional amount paid $219 (350-131)

Your exactly right Dan. I am sure that the K visa will be a dinosaur in the near future. Did you run the numbers on a comparison of the new fees versus the CR/IR visa?

By the way did you all know that when you go to China the cost of your tourist visa will go up? These visa fees are reciprocal between countries. When one goes up the other country raises theirs equally. At least that is what I have been led to believe.

Yes, I just did the math.

K-1:

I-129F: $455

Consulate: $131 (Soon to be $350)

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1596 ~ $1815) (K-3 is $100 less ($355 for I-130 vs $455 for I-129F)

CR-1:

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)