cr1 after 2 years

We have been married over 2 years. When I filed it was less than 2 years. In the last request for "more information" I asked NVC why my application was still for CR1 when we were married more than 2 years. they did not reply? Can anyone help me? do I just immediately file for IR1 when she arrives? Thanks, wish I knew about you guys a couple of years ago, would not have waited for 9 months without emailing because I relied on the stupid toll free stooges that said "just wait". I did not know that they sent a request for info 8 months earlier that got lost in the China mail.. I had them send info to our address in China because I spent most of my time there since our marriage. IF any newbies read this... Don't ever waste time on toll free number for NVC they are useless clerks that just read policy statement to you after you wait for 20 minutes on your phone... always sent emails! nvcinquiry.com

thanks for your help in advance for answering my question.

you guys are a great resource... thanks!!.

Denny

We have been married over 2 years. When I filed it was less than 2 years. In the last request for "more information" I asked NVC why my application was still for CR1 when we were married more than 2 years. they did not reply? Can anyone help me? do I just immediately file for IR1 when she arrives? Thanks, wish I knew about you guys a couple of years ago, would not have waited for 9 months without emailing because I relied on the stupid toll free stooges that said "just wait". I did not know that they sent a request for info 8 months earlier that got lost in the China mail.. I had them send info to our address in China because I spent most of my time there since our marriage. IF any newbies read this... Don't ever waste time on toll free number for NVC they are useless clerks that just read policy statement to you after you wait for 20 minutes on your phone... always sent emails! nvcinquiry.com

thanks for your help in advance for answering my question.

you guys are a great resource... thanks!!.

Denny

You will hear terminology tossed around - this is one of those cases. You apply for an immediate relative visa - then, at the time of entry into the United States, her green card production will be ordered. If you have been married for less than 2 years, it will be a conditional green card. If you have been married 2 years or longer, it will be an unconditional green card.

The green card (conditional or unconditional) is the only difference between a CR-1 and an IR-1 visa. They will not bother to re-label the visa, or the application. YOU will need to make sure that the Immigrations Officer at the POE gets it right - hand carry your marriage license to show him the date of marriage.

If, at the time of the visa interview, you have been married longer than 2 years, the VO will have the visa printed as an IR-1 visa (again, make sure he notices).

Other than that, it's just wind - make sure it blows the right way at the POE - that's really the only time it matters.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)