Prominent Chinese Dissident Is Tried

The warning has been put out by The Don about posting links without much comment.

N + W what is your take on this??

Need to explain the subject then follow up with a link if you wish.

Yes I feel that he wont get a fair trial, he is calling for democratic reforms in a totalitarian communist country.

BEIJING ¡ª In a two-hour hearing that was closed to the public, Liu Xiaobo, one of China¡¯s most prominent advocates of democratic reform, was tried Wednesday on charges that his calls for open elections and free speech are a threat to the ruling Communist Party.

The warning has been put out by The Don about posting links without much comment.

N + W what is your take on this??

Need to explain the subject then follow up with a link if you wish.

Yes I feel that he wont get a fair trial, he is calling for democratic reforms in a totalitarian communist country.

BEIJING ¡ª In a two-hour hearing that was closed to the public, Liu Xiaobo, one of China¡¯s most prominent advocates of democratic reform, was tried Wednesday on charges that his calls for open elections and free speech are a threat to the ruling Communist Party.

He'll get a fair trial ...

... A fair trial with Chinese characteristics.

Yeah, that's because these things he's calling for DO threaten the ruling Communist Party... They're anathema to the idea of Communism!

He's toast, and it's a sad thing.

:P

Guest Tony n Terrific

This man got canned today.

A Chinese court sentenced a prominent dissident to 11 years on Friday — the longest term ever handed down for subversion charges, according to rights groups that say it signals the government will take an increasingly hard line against activists in the year ahead.

The sentencing of Liu Xiaobo, after he called for sweeping political reforms and an end to Communist Party dominance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091225/ap_on_...sident_sentence

This man got canned today.

A Chinese court sentenced a prominent dissident to 11 years on Friday � the longest term ever handed down for subversion charges, according to rights groups that say it signals the government will take an increasingly hard line against activists in the year ahead.

The sentencing of Liu Xiaobo, after he called for sweeping political reforms and an end to Communist Party dominance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091225/ap_on_...sident_sentence

What a crappy Christmas gift. But I guess the 'verdict' was already wrapped and sealed for delivery :lol:

he broke the law

This is a difficult thing for Americans to understand Jin. One of our most fundamental rights is freedom of speech. That includes the right to openly disagree with our government. As much as I love China this is one thing I really dislike about your government.

he broke the law

This is a difficult thing for Americans to understand Jin. One of our most fundamental rights is freedom of speech. That includes the right to openly disagree with our government. As much as I love China this is one thing I really dislike about your government.

I agree with this statement. Often Chinese people tell me China offers freedom of speech because that is what the Chinese constitution states (Chapter 2 article 35) but either the interpretation of these words vary greatly in American and China (which if that is the case - then we can't complain - I believe this is possible) or, they are flatly unenforced. It's unfair to judge China's freedoms by America's standards and vice-versa. If one does this then they will likely end up disappointed. Each country has their own constitution and their own culture. What "freedom of speech" means to me and what it means to my wife may vary (just as an example). These interpretations, I believe are largely influenced by the cultures in which we grew up.

Now, if the latter is true - that these freedoms are granted but flatly denied - well, that's a different situation altogether - one that I don't want to open up here.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)