mywebcalls.com - Has anyone tried this service?

Has anyone used http://mywebcalls.com before? Since we are initially setting up camp at my parent's home (downstairs converted into a separate apartment) using a service like italkBB isn't possible at this time.

Jingjing and I have been using Skype to call our family in the States, and most of the time, the connection has been fairly good. I noticed that the call rate (Skype) to China is almost twice what mywebcalls charges (.011/.012 USD/min) In addition, they state that they charge per second rather than rounding up to the next minute - so, in other words a 4:01 minute call will be charged as 4:01, not 5:00. Just curious if anyone had any positive or negative feedback to offer

My wife said she'll probably call home around twice a week for maybe 20 - 30 minutes at a time. I predict it'll end up being more than that, but we'll see.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Been a skype user for years, my wife calls China a few times a week and I seem to recharge the service maybe twice a year at $20 per charge, so $40 per year. 2 cents per min is fine by me.

Also penny pinching for fractions of a minute makes no sense.

A good thread comparing Skype to mywebcalls: http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/index.php/t4138.html

At the suggest of someone here, my wife and I tried Pingo at 1.2 cents a minutes. My wife occasionally had trouble with Skype. I still have Skype and I can now send text messages, but, as far as calling goes, Pingo is better quality. Plus, I loaded an application from Pingo on my cell phone and now all long distance calls are automatically routed through Pingo. When I signed up for Pingo, I put $20 on it and Pingo gave me $10. It goes a long way. It is easier, IMHO, to get the history out of Skype than Pingo, it that is a concern.

I use Dynasky, which is basically like an online calling card. You can go into their website and program their portal numbers to recognize your mobile phone (or home phone, presumably) number and assign quick-dial numbers.

So I just have to dial 11# or 12# to dial my lady. It's 1.8 cents a minute to China or something like that.

There's also a service called Rebtel that allows for calls FROM China to the US cheaply, at least if the caller can call a Shanghai or Beijing number cheaply. The Chinese caller creates a phonebook of people, who are all assigned phone numbers in Shanghai or Beijing (you have to pick one or the other). Calling the appropriate Shanghai/Beijing number forwards the call on to the USA (or whereever else), at 2ish cents per minute, once again.

Also penny pinching for fractions of a minute makes no sense.

Yeah, but what about for your wife? B)

1 minute = 1.1 cent. Not a whole lot to pinch there.

For quality, though, you might check out the calling cards. They use actual phone lines instead of the internet, and are in the same price range. We used ChinaCallBack from PC2Asia.com for 1.6 cents per minute.